Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

6 hours ago, KLMN0701 said:

Did any of the Berkeley acceptances get the formal letter of acceptance yesterday like one of the POIs said we would? At this point I haven't received anything formal from the uni or department and I'm getting worried this is all one big practical joke!

I got it fairly late last night (8:30pm PST). It was a generic email from graduate admissions to check the portal to see a generic letter from the university. I'm sure they're still updating the portal though!

I also haven’t gotten the official letter from Berkeley, so I called their office yesterday to make sure I am actually admitted and that they didn’t just accidentally call the wrong number lol. The graduate admissions coordinator was very nice and said she is working on updating everyone’s portals now

18 hours ago, elyselm said:

I checked the portal before making the post and nothing was there...checked it a few minutes after making the post and a decision was made. I was denied but am still hopeful for an acceptance from some of the other schools I applied to.

I am wondering why the decision has not been posted on my portal yet. Internet is down at my place and I am at a coffee shop just to refresh the portal every damn minute.

Oh this is such a relief. Yes, I had the same fear @kkr_soc, that they accidentally contacted the wrong person and now they are just trying to figure out how to back-peddle (I actually dreamt it last night)! Thank you everyone for quelling my anxiety somewhat, and *hopefully* (still won't believe it until I see it in the portal) I'll get to meet you all at the visit weekend!

19 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

Thank you so much! I will be going to the visit day as well so I will most likely see you there. But I am coming from a crim background so I applied to a couple of criminology programs and I chose Iowa because the professors in their criminology department matched my research interests so I am very excited! However, I got rejected from Northeastern's Ph.D. in criminology but got accepted into their Masters and I am just waiting on two other schools. 

They do have some awesome crim. people in the program, so good on you for finding a good fit! :) Good luck to you and the rest of the cycle, and see you soon!

Did anyone on this thread apply for Northwestern's HDSP program and get an interview invite? If so, any idea how many people they interview and how many they admit? 

4 hours ago, DuBois said:

Haven't got anything from U Chicago ,but I am seeing people are getting interviewed. When do they send their decisions ? 

From looking at past results data, they seem to send out decisions anywhere from early February to early March.

7 minutes ago, a_yu said:

Oops, I just heard from a current student that Stanford has already sent out its 10 letters of offers. ?

Oh : (  do you have a friend that goes there or something? Hopefully they will send out official decisions on Monday.

Edited by markhame

4 minutes ago, markhame said:

Oh : (  do you have a friend that goes there or something?

I'm now at Stanford doing a masters in regional studies, so I took a course with soc phds. She also told me there are another 10 people on the waiting list, so I guess there's still hope...

12 minutes ago, a_yu said:

Oops, I just heard from a current student that Stanford has already sent out its 10 letters of offers. ?

Oh wow, you always assume at least one acceptance will be active on here! Do you know how many acceptances they send out - or is it just 10 + 10 waitlisted people.

3 minutes ago, a_yu said:

I'm now at Stanford doing a masters in regional studies, so I took a course with soc phds. She also told me there are another 10 people on the waiting list, so I guess there's still hope...

Ayyy. Thank you for the update though! 

2 minutes ago, quantso said:

Oh wow, you always assume at least one acceptance will be active on here! Do you know how many acceptances they send out - or is it just 10 + 10 waitlisted people.

yeah it's just 10+10. They sort of run out of money last year so have to halve the quota this time. 

Welp, reasonably assuming rejections from places like Stanford, etc, that have already released their acceptances, I am only waiting to hear back from: Norhwestern, UMich-Ann Arbor, and Princeton. I'm thankful to have one acceptance, or else I'd be extremely nervous, because it's a complete crapshoot whether I'd be accepted anywhere else. Thankfully this will largely be over in the next two weeks...

Edited by markhame

It was crickets for me this week and I'm starting to go stir-crazy, even though I shouldn't be nearly so anxious. I'm still waiting to hear from 6 more programs; I assume it's a rejection from Berkeley, but I just want to hear from the other 5 departments so I can stop worrying and start making a decision. I'm just about ready for application season to be over!

1 minute ago, sociopolitic said:

It was crickets for me this week and I'm starting to go stir-crazy, even though I shouldn't be nearly so anxious. I'm still waiting to hear from 6 more programs; I assume it's a rejection from Berkeley, but I just want to hear from the other 5 departments so I can stop worrying and start making a decision. I'm just about ready for application season to be over!

Same. It was exciting and now it's just getting old. I'm looking forward to getting plans ready and figuring out where I'll be moving. Where else did you apply to?

1 hour ago, a_yu said:

hi all! 

i’m a little confused by this information... for context, i applied to the soc program at stanford and am being flown out for the knight-hennessy fellowship interview next week. the dept hasn’t sent me a decision yet. 

since k-h checks with departments before choosing their finalist applicants to fly out, i’m not sure that decisions have been made. it’s possible (and may be awkward for me if i already know i’m not in and yet i’m flying out there anyway lol) but it seems unlikely. my hunch is that they will send out decisions after k-h chooses their winners. just my 2 cents!

2 minutes ago, a_yu said:

Ah I'm so sorry folks, I just emailed a professor who's on the admission committee at Stanford, and learned that the offers have NOT been sent out! Apparently both the friend of mine and myself were spreading rumors too prematurely...really sorry for the confusion.

Meh your gossip allowed us to kill time for a bit lol . No harm there

1 minute ago, a_yu said:

Ah I'm so sorry folks, I just emailed a professor who's on the admission committee at Stanford, and learned that the offers have NOT been sent out! Apparently both the friend of mine and myself were spreading rumors too prematurely...really sorry for the confusion.

glad i’m not about to have an awkward visit there lol. guess there’s hope! best of luck to everyone!