Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

1 hour ago, quantso said:

I feel like I read the small print at one of the universities I applied to (although I can't remember which one) and it said you could only request to view them if you get accepted, which I thought was quite funny, given you wouldn't really need to if you get in!

I think UCLA says this.

5 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Duke?

Yeah, I haven’t heard a peep from them. I keep checking the portal with all the decisions posted here but nothing has been updated for me.

Edited by baozi

Just now, baozi said:

Yeah, I haven’t heard a peep from them. I keep checking the portal with all the posted decisions but nothing has been updated.

Same. I'm 99.9% sure I will be rejected just because the fit wasn't really strong for me with their department. 

I'm literally begging for my first rejection at this point. All I have are implied rejections. I NeEeeddDdD ClOsSuUrrREeE.

19 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

Same. I'm 99.9% sure I will be rejected just because the fit wasn't really strong for me with their department. 

I'm literally begging for my first rejection at this point. All I have are implied rejections. I NeEeeddDdD ClOsSuUrrREeE.

Yeah, same! I just want to know, so I can move on accordingly. Could it be that they’re going by the date the application was submitted? I turned mine in the last day, so maybe it’s that? 

1 hour ago, socchi92 said:

Woah, what?! 

edit: Now that I look at this more closely, maybe it was an email from a POI? Would a generic rejection have detailed information about applicant pool and number of admissions?

Sometimes they do include that info. But it looks like two other accepted Columbia applicants found out by phone according to the results, so I am a little suspicious of this entry.

13 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

Sometimes they do include that info. But it looks like two other accepted Columbia applicants found out by phone according to the results, so I am a little suspicious of this entry.

What does that have to do with anything? The rejections are not by phone 

39 minutes ago, baozi said:

Yeah, same! I just want to know, so I can move on accordingly. Could it be that they’re going by the date the application was submitted? I turned mine in the last day, so maybe it’s that? 

Maybe. I turned mine in the 13th. Maybe by last name? lol. 

37 minutes ago, markhame said:

What does that have to do with anything? The rejections are not by phone 

Right, but it still strikes me as odd that we have two phone acceptances and then this email from five days ago, but nothing else. Would expect to have some more phone or email acceptances by now, but then again we have no idea how they make decisions about when/how to inform people about their application status.

46 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

So it could just be stress-induced paranoia/ me trying to deny the reality of rejection, but I am slightly skeptical about the columbia posts in general. For a few reasons; the two acceptances also posted columbia in conjunction with other acceptances (berkeley and then wisconsin and ucla all at the same time); all of the posts (both acceptances and rejection) were posted after the date they were received. It just seems a strange way to interact with the results board and doesn't seem consistent with what most other people do? Also, it is a lot earlier than they have ever released the acceptances and none of the posters have written on the forum, even though there is obviously a lot of discussion about them. Again, it could be completely legitimate and me just trying to stay unduly optimistic, but is it common for the results page to be trolled? 

Just now, quantso said:

So it could just be stress-induced paranoia/ me trying to deny the reality of rejection, but I am slightly skeptical about the columbia posts in general. For a few reasons; the two acceptances also posted columbia in conjunction with other acceptances (berkeley and then wisconsin and ucla all at the same time); all of the posts (both acceptances and rejection) were posted after the date they were received. It just seems a strange way to interact with the results board and doesn't seem consistent with what most other people do? Also, it is a lot earlier than they have ever released the acceptances and none of the posters have written on the forum, even though there is obviously a lot of discussion about them. Again, it could be completely legitimate and me just trying to stay unduly optimistic, but is it common for the results page to be trolled? 

I would be kinda surprised if someone actually went out of their way to intentionally troll the results, but I have seen some results from the past with some people who got rejected saying "They told me they've sent out all acceptances" or something like that, and then a few days later someone else will post in the results being like, "That person was lying, I just got in," stuff to that effect. So maybe it's just misinformation?

I agree that (assuming the Columbia posts are real) most of us on this thread are constantly refreshing this page, the results, and our emails, and then we instantly post on here when we get our results. But not necessarily everyone uses the site the same way. Also, all of this is completely unpredictable and we really have nothing but previous years to go off of. And so far, that's seemed pretty far off from what we're seeing this year...

So in regards to Columbia. I emailed with a prof today that I had a good conversation with prior to applying. They had 340 applicants and accepted 14 people. He said this was the the most difficult and impressive admissions cycle in his 20+ years of being involved in the process. 

If you haven’t heard then maybe reach out to your POI but most likely those acceptances and rejections are legitimate.

4 minutes ago, jamjar said:

So in regards to Columbia. I emailed with a prof today that I had a good conversation with prior to applying. They had 340 applicants and accepted 14 people. He said this was the the most difficult and impressive admissions cycle in his 20+ years of being involved in the process. 

If you haven’t heard then maybe reach out to your POI but most likely those acceptances and rejections are legitimate.

Thanks for sharing

11 minutes ago, Docsoc said:

Is there any chance some of us have not heard from Columbia because we selected the option of 'Masters Program' consideration if we don't get into PhD and so the application is being considered there before they let us know?

That sounds super plausible.

5 hours ago, SocFresh said:

Did anyone hear from UVA? According to the posts of the last year, they should start the interview processes at the end of January. One of the top choices of mine...sigh...

Still waiting myself. Not that I expect to even get an interview there, but I haven't heard a peep. Looks like they are scattered over the past years when things get done. I'd imagine we'll hear something in the next week, but that's just a guess.

Edit: Looks like my guess was legitimate. 2017 interviews went out in late Jan. 2018 was mid February. Good Luck!

Edited by bandanajack

33 minutes ago, bandanajack said:

Still waiting myself. Not that I expect to even get an interview there, but I haven't heard a peep. Looks like they are scattered over the past years when things get done. I'd imagine we'll hear something in the next week, but that's just a guess.

Edit: Looks like my guess was legitimate. 2017 interviews went out in late Jan. 2018 was mid February. Good Luck!

It's really good to know about that! thx! You too! Good luck! I guess many schools may give feedbacks the next week... ??? Super super anxious.

2 hours ago, SocFresh said:

It's really good to know about that! thx! You too! Good luck! I guess many schools may give feedbacks the next week... ??? Super super anxious.

Yeah from what I see most results from soc programs go out in February. For me most should be in the next 1-3 weeks. It's the final countdown lol I just want some news!!