Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

Let's kill some time while we anxiously await responses... What are everyone's top choices, and why? I'm really interested in Northwestern because that's where I'm from and they have a strong emphasis on qualitative methods, which isn't as common in the top 10-15 programs. I've also been told that it's a smaller and more tight-knit department, which appeals to me. I also was really interested in Duke because they have a strong emphasis on economic sociology / wealth inequality, but sadly it just wasn't in the cards. And then my long-shots are of course Harvard, Michigan, and Stanford lol

So far I've only been admitted to UCLA and UT Austin. Does anyone know much about what the culture of these departments is like or any other information to share about how they compare? I am a bit apprehensive about them because I want to graduate as quickly as possible, and I've heard it can take six or seven years to finish at these two.

9 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

Let's kill some time while we anxiously await responses... What are everyone's top choices, and why? I'm really interested in Northwestern because that's where I'm from and they have a strong emphasis on qualitative methods, which isn't as common in the top 10-15 programs. I've also been told that it's a smaller and more tight-knit department, which appeals to me. I also was really interested in Duke because they have a strong emphasis on economic sociology / wealth inequality, but sadly it just wasn't in the cards. And then my long-shots are of course Harvard, Michigan, and Stanford lol

So far I've only been admitted to UCLA and UT Austin. Does anyone know much about what the culture of these departments is like or any other information to share about how they compare? I am a bit apprehensive about them because I want to graduate as quickly as possible, and I've heard it can take six or seven years to finish at these two.

When you say “only” 2 acceptances, it hurts ? I wish I had that. Congrats!

4 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

Let's kill some time while we anxiously await responses...

I applied to UVA, UConn, UMass Amherst, and Lehigh (they have a really nice, well-funded MA program). I really want to get into (well anywhere lol), but Amherst because of their emphasis on public sociology (I have experience as a journalist and would like to translate that more into advocacy). And similar research interests there (contacted a POI). Lehigh would be a great stepping stone school, and I would be more than happy if I only ended up there (faculty from top uni's with similar research interests) Truth be told, I got lost in the sauce when applying to grad school (first gen student with no clue how to navigate the ropes). UVA and UConn would also be great (similar research interests).

In retrospect I would have applied to more schools with more varied rankings, (obviously research interests matter most, but I should have at least tried for Yale, Stanford and Berkeley, though I may have not even had the money). If I knew now what I know when I applied (how to contact POI's, choose schools, write SOPs) I think I would have been a competitive candidate. But if I get accepted any of the schools I applied to I have no regrets. They will all serve me well, just in slightly different ways. I am still waiting to hear back from all my schools (should 1-3 weeks). Getting into a funded Ph.D. program would be a dream come true. But alas we will see what happens.

Reading through this to procrastinate while finishing up my first comprehensive/qualifying 3rd year exam. Sending good vibes to you all, as I remember this process particularly well. No matter what happens, you will all do amazing things and it's hard having your fate in others' hands. You've done all you can now! 

In addition, for some people the forum will make your stress and anxiety worse. It may be worth taking a break if you feel like it's adding to your craziness - blocksite is your friend. 

31 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

I did not get any admit or reject or waitlist. My top choice is Harvard, Brown and UMass Amherst. They both have good programs and several people who work on political sociology, gender, and politics in general.

I applied to 13 schools. It seemed like a lot to me, but I couldn't narrow my list any further. I have heard back from 4 schools: 2 admits, 1 waitlist, and 1 reject. I have been to one visitation day last month. I have a feeling that the University of Southern California is also a reject because one of my recommendation letters wasn't received in time. I really want to hear back from the rest since I have to get my house sold and figure out disability services for my kid. I'll just have to cross my fingers that I hear more soon. :)

42 minutes ago, sociopolitic said:

@SgtDonut I'm pretty sure 6-7 years to completion is pretty common, at least at top 20 programs. The only place I've seen that seems to graduate students in 5 years is Duke, and some places in the top ten it seems like time to completion averages more at 7 or 8 years 

You're right. On average most people take longer than five years. But the grad student at UCLA I spoke to made it seem like virtually no one finishes in five years. Whereas I think at a school like Duke or Northwestern, there's less competition for resources and the cohorts are smaller, so it's harder to fall through the cracks. This is all just based on my impressions from conversations with random grad students though. 

While we're on the topic, how do you guys feel about potentially taking 7 to 8 years to finish? I feel like I would be so demoralized and sad after making no money for that long lol plus my partner will probably be saying tick tock, time to buy a house, etc. It just seems so long, so that's why it's important for me to finish in five if possible.

33 minutes ago, ErikaFate said:

I applied to 13 schools. It seemed like a lot to me, but I couldn't narrow my list any further. I have heard back from 4 schools: 2 admits, 1 waitlist, and 1 reject. I have been to one visitation day last month. I have a feeling that the University of Southern California is also a reject because one of my recommendation letters wasn't received in time. I really want to hear back from the rest since I have to get my house sold and figure out disability services for my kid. I'll just have to cross my fingers that I hear more soon. :)

Dang, I hope your transition goes smoothly! And congratulations on your acceptances! How do you feel about the two you've gotten into?

1 hour ago, bandanajack said:

I applied to UVA, UConn, UMass Amherst, and Lehigh (they have a really nice, well-funded MA program). I really want to get into (well anywhere lol), but Amherst because of their emphasis on public sociology (I have experience as a journalist and would like to translate that more into advocacy). And similar research interests there (contacted a POI). Lehigh would be a great stepping stone school, and I would be more than happy if I only ended up there (faculty from top uni's with similar research interests) Truth be told, I got lost in the sauce when applying to grad school (first gen student with no clue how to navigate the ropes). UVA and UConn would also be great (similar research interests).

In retrospect I would have applied to more schools with more varied rankings, (obviously research interests matter most, but I should have at least tried for Yale, Stanford and Berkeley, though I may have not even had the money). If I knew now what I know when I applied (how to contact POI's, choose schools, write SOPs) I think I would have been a competitive candidate. But if I get accepted any of the schools I applied to I have no regrets. They will all serve me well, just in slightly different ways. I am still waiting to hear back from all my schools (should 1-3 weeks). Getting into a funded Ph.D. program would be a dream come true. But alas we will see what happens.

That's really exciting, congrats on your success so far! I agree, rankings matter to some extent, but those universities you applied to are ultimately all great places to learn. You can be just as good of a sociologist whether you go to Berkeley or Boulder. That's what I don't really understand about how they rank sociology programs... like I've had plenty of professors who had great grad school experiences at lower ranked schools. Just thinking out loud.

What are your research interests (if you want to share)? I really considered applying to UMass because they have some of the best scholars in the sociology of labor, which is a big interest for me. But ultimately I was already applying to way too many schools, so I cut it out. Also my partner didn't want to live in Amherst lol

13 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

That's really exciting, congrats on your success so far! I agree, rankings matter to some extent, but those universities you applied to are ultimately all great places to learn. You can be just as good of a sociologist whether you go to Berkeley or Boulder. That's what I don't really understand about how they rank sociology programs... like I've had plenty of professors who had great grad school experiences at lower ranked schools. Just thinking out loud.

What are your research interests (if you want to share)? I really considered applying to UMass because they have some of the best scholars in the sociology of labor, which is a big interest for me. But ultimately I was already applying to way too many schools, so I cut it out. Also my partner didn't want to live in Amherst lol

Yeah lol I heard that Amherst and Storrs (UConn) are rather isolated small New England towns. And to think I don't even fancy Pennsylvania winters and I want to go north lol.

I graduated in May with a B.A. in Journalism and B.A. in Sociology. I am in AmeriCorps as a gap year, but I am working with a prof on research around American (specifically undergrad education majors) stratification beliefs. We asked them a bunch of questions about race, gender, background, etc, all relating to the chances people have to succeed in the U.S. and why (based on individualism or structuralism; who is responsible for success and failure, the individual or society and in what way etc.). I spoke with a prof at UMass and he does similar research, but geared more toward long term unemployment, which I think is really interesting.

I would like to pursue research along these lines, but tbh I am interested in quite a few things. Another thing I would like to study is how do different communities respond to poverty/inequality. Why do communities respond differently (based on resources available or because of stratification beliefs). Ideally this research could be used to help communities (govts, non-profits, etc) employ best practices. Generally speaking, I like anything that has to do with socioeconomics and the role public policy and beliefs shape our society. UVA and UConn has some people that look at this from the macrolevel, which I also love. (How do large economic forces and national/international govts. shape our society in terms of inequality). Lastly, at some point in my career I want to get involved with environmental justice and environmental practices through a soc and public policy lens. What about you?!

My top choice is also northwestern! I like that they have a good economic/quantification focus while also having a lot of interesting stuff on theory/culture. Also very supportive of adding quant method study. I’m also from the area.

Hello all, 

I have an admission offer from UIUC Socio. My potential adviser there is quite well known for his work on Islamist social movements but I don't see any info at all about the dept here on the forum. Wondering if there's no one here who's applied there or knows the dept?

Thanks,

Umair

Edited by Umairrasheed
typo

On 2/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, both_and_also said:

Did anyone apply to LSE by any chance? It's rolling admissions, and they say it takes roughly 8 weeks after your date of submission for them to release a decision. I'm going on ten weeks now and still have heard nothing. It's been "under consideration by the department" pretty much the whole time. I'm curious if anyone has heard anything from them as well as whether one's application passes onto a stage after "consideration by the department" before a decision is made. I'm American and am unfamiliar with the UK system and the timelines on these things. Thanks so much for the help! 

Hi @both_and_also - I did apply to LSE Soc but not until the January funding deadline, so I haven't heard anything either. What I've seen from other departments is that they stick pretty closely to their 8 week timeline but of course this will vary by program and numbers, so I wouldn't panic! I have an MA from University College London which doesn't give me expertise except to say that decisions may be later because they're on a different timeline and funding is so different. Best of luck!

6 hours ago, markhame said:

Wow there’s a Michigan result up now. I know I will be checking my email more than usual today..

This is literally the reason I'm finding this thread for the first time today ?‍♀️ Have been experiencing the "normal" amount of general fretting but this notice sent me over the edge! Thanks to this group for the epic amount of distraction and best of luck to everyone in the coming days & weeks.
Any other Pittsburgh applicants here? 

31 minutes ago, pistachiomacaron said:

This is literally the reason I'm finding this thread for the first time today ?‍♀️ Have been experiencing the "normal" amount of general fretting but this notice sent me over the edge! Thanks to this group for the epic amount of distraction and best of luck to everyone in the coming days & weeks.
Any other Pittsburgh applicants here? 

Pittsburgh would've been so cool! Great program and great city. Didn't fit my research interests so I sadly did not apply but good luck to you!

4 hours ago, SgtDonut said:

You're right. On average most people take longer than five years. But the grad student at UCLA I spoke to made it seem like virtually no one finishes in five years. Whereas I think at a school like Duke or Northwestern, there's less competition for resources and the cohorts are smaller, so it's harder to fall through the cracks. This is all just based on my impressions from conversations with random grad students though. 

While we're on the topic, how do you guys feel about potentially taking 7 to 8 years to finish? I feel like I would be so demoralized and sad after making no money for that long lol plus my partner will probably be saying tick tock, time to buy a house, etc. It just seems so long, so that's why it's important for me to finish in five if possible.

I don't think you should read too much into this. Departments are pushing for professionalization and a quicker clock largely because of incentives on their end, which means you'll get different info depending on who you talk to. I was told 6 years by my department when going through the application process, but I now know that's largely a joke. I certainly can't think of anyone done in 5 and the vast, vast majority are in the 7-8 range. This is at a top department with small cohorts and ample resources.

I do think it is true that different departments have different priorities on this. You're right to point out that Duke has been pushing professionalization very strongly, but my larger point is that you shouldn't look to cohort size as the main indicator or trust random information. And, at the end of the day you should expect to take longer than what the department promises you is the goal.

2 hours ago, Umairrasheed said:

Hello all, 

I have an admission offer from UIUC Socio. My potential adviser there is quite well known for his work on Islamist social movements but I don't see any info at all about the dept here on the forum. Wondering if there's no one here who's applied there or knows the dept?

Thanks,

Umair

Are you referring to Dr. Bayat? If so, he’s incredible-- I had the opportunity to take an honors seminar with him during my undergrad at UIUC. I don’t know much about the graduate program in sociology, but I did my undergrad at UIUC with a major in soc, so I’m somewhat familiar with the faculty and certain aspects of the program! 

3 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

Where have you applied?

I applied to Harvard Sociology and Social Policy, Princeton Sociology and Social Policy, Penn Soc, Yale Soc, Columbia Soc, NYU Soc, Maryland Soc. 

Has anyone heard from these programs yet? I’ve seen Yale and Columbia on the Results Board but no claims here.

4 hours ago, thedudeabides said:

Just got my third rejection (Rutgers), waiting on two other possibly implied rejections (UCSB, USC), and that leaves me with five programs to hear from (Boston University, UCSD, RPI STS, UW-Milwaukee, and one European program).

Sigh. 

I am praying for Boston as well!!