Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

3 hours ago, jriveracal said:

Am I the only person that got rejected from Columbia without even applying? 

This is my life.

Wait, what?! I'm sorry, but that just brought the loudest most obnoxious laugh from deep inside my big old body... I woke up all my animals! Is that what they're doing now?! Must be a power thing! You can't just send out rejections all willy nilly like we don't have feelings. Are these schools talking to one another, are they laughing at us?!

18 minutes ago, HumanHeatSOC said:

Wait, what?! I'm sorry, but that just brought the loudest most obnoxious laugh from deep inside my big old body... I woke up all my animals! Is that what they're doing now?! Must be a power thing! You can't just send out rejections all willy nilly like we don't have feelings. Are these schools talking to one another, are they laughing at us?!

Like, if I didn't turn in the app payment, why would you offer me MA acceptance? I'm obviously broke af and can't afford $58,000 tuition. Lol.

15 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

Like, if I didn't turn in the app payment, why would you offer me MA acceptance? I'm obviously broke af and can't afford $58,000 tuition. Lol.

I think I may have previously come across rumors on this site that the Columbia MA program is a bit of a "cash cow" program, so perhaps this is evidence of that? Regardless, congrats on getting into a program you didn't even apply to!

FYI: I've just received a waitlist from UOregon. It seems that the result submission page went wrong on my browser, so I cannot submit it on the result page right now, but I will try it later. If anyone received their offer but no longer want to go to their program, could you please let them know ASAP? Thank you so much! ?

1 hour ago, sociopolitic said:

I think I may have previously come across rumors on this site that the Columbia MA program is a bit of a "cash cow" program, so perhaps this is evidence of that? Regardless, congrats on getting into a program you didn't even apply to!

Many masters programs are in many disciplines. I’m sure it funds many a PhD!

5 hours ago, markhame said:

Such a bad day at work today (no details necessary). I’m so glad I can gtfo this job soon.

this is so relatable, when i got my first acceptance i immediately thought "oh, thank god i don't have to do this job for another year.' i could not have done it. 

So anyone else get an email from a uni that said to check the status of your application only to find it says "update pending." Read the email again and it said a formal letter will be posed in the portal 1-2 business days. First off, why tell me this at 12:41 a.m. on a Saturday morning when I have to wait till Monday or Tuesday.

Second, this sounds like a rejection? Don't acceptances typically have "congratulations type of email" or a phone call. Why not just tell me outright. 

25 minutes ago, bandanajack said:

So anyone else get an email from a uni that said to check the status of your application only to find it says "update pending." Read the email again and it said a formal letter will be posed in the portal 1-2 business days. First off, why tell me this at 12:41 a.m. on a Saturday morning when I have to wait till Monday or Tuesday.

Second, this sounds like a rejection? Don't acceptances typically have "congratulations type of email" or a phone call. Why not just tell me outright. 

It is UMass, right? I got it.

1 minute ago, bandanajack said:

Yep. So what do you think it means?

I got it for both programs that I applied for. The weird thing is political science sent some acceptances last week, but a friend of mine and I did not receive any answer from UMass. I learned that apparently, they made offers to the "stars" or the people who are the best fit first. Then, they will be doing offers to people who are in the middle (at least for political science). For sociology, I have not seen anyone who got accepted, yet. So, I am not sure. For political science, the "stars" accepted into the program got very personalized e-mails from the chair of the sub-field. For sociology, I was expecting something in that line, but really, I did not see anyone who got accepted. I am still optimistic tho, I wait for at least a waitlist.

2 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

I got it for both programs that I applied for. The weird thing is political science sent some acceptances last week, but a friend of mine and I did not receive any answer from UMass. I learned that apparently, they made offers to the "stars" or the people who are the best fit first. Then, they will be doing offers to people who are in the middle (at least for political science). For sociology, I have not seen anyone who got accepted, yet. So, I am not sure. For political science, the "stars" accepted into the program got very personalized e-mails from the chair of the sub-field. For sociology, I was expecting something in that line, but really, I did not see anyone who got accepted. I am still optimistic tho, I wait for at least a waitlist.

Interesting. I am trying to be optimistic as well. I kind of expected something personalized, or at least something more than a "check the status" email, but who knows. Based on grad cafe results nobody has posted this early in the year for the Amherst soc program, so I am hoping that means we were the first to be accepted, since rejections usually come after the first acceptance waive. Regardless, I think a wait list more probable than rejection since its so early.

Just now, bandanajack said:

Interesting. I am trying to be optimistic as well. I kind of expected something personalized, or at least something more than a "check the status" email, but who knows. Based on grad cafe results nobody has posted this early in the year for the Amherst soc program, so I am hoping that means we were the first to be accepted, since rejections usually come after the first acceptance waive. Regardless, I think a wait list more probable than rejection since its so early.

Last year, they released results way later than this. I also expect a waitlist or acceptance because when I submitted the application, it says that it takes 6 to 10 weeks to get back the applicants. It has only been 3/4 weeks from the application deadline, so that is what makes me optimistic about it. Many people get their rejection at least a week after the official acceptance.

Just now, TheBunny said:

Last year, they released results way later than this. I also expect a waitlist or acceptance because when I submitted the application, it says that it takes 6 to 10 weeks to get back the applicants. It has only been 3/4 weeks from the application deadline, so that is what makes me optimistic about it. Many people get their rejection at least a week after the official acceptance.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was very surprised to hear from them so soon. They weren't even on my radar for at least a week. But I will try to take this as a good sign. From the digging I've done on gradcafe, the earlier you hear back, the better. I guess we will see.

Long-time lurker here... Any fellow Yale applicants still waiting to hear something? I’m getting progressively more demoralised as another batch of interviews were posted yesterday ? Anyone have any idea how they work their way through the applications? These interviews seem to coming through in drips and drabs...

6 minutes ago, HPSociology said:

Long-time lurker here... Any fellow Yale applicants still waiting to hear something? I’m getting progressively more demoralised as another batch of interviews were posted yesterday ? Anyone have any idea how they work their way through the applications? These interviews seem to coming through in drips and drabs...

Same here... I just saw  the interview results. One said they were arranging for informal phone interviews that are just conversations(?) and I am confused. Is it possible that they are contacting for these informal conversations for the top applicants? If that's the case i guess this an implied rejection for me...TT

24 minutes ago, Vldksh said:

Same here... I just saw  the interview results. One said they were arranging for informal phone interviews that are just conversations(?) and I am confused. Is it possible that they are contacting for these informal conversations for the top applicants? If that's the case i guess this an implied rejection for me...TT

35 minutes ago, HPSociology said:

Just assumed I didn't make the first, possibly second, round of interviews as I've heard it happens in waves to find people. I'm part of the combined program however, leading with African American studies so I'm not sure how that shakes out. I have to be accepted by both programs so I've basically just been holding out hope... And feeling silly about it at the same time. 

11 hours ago, jriveracal said:

They want that money! It is obviously quite clever. Maybe they were hoping that you would be hypnotized by the prestige the name carries and talk yourself and family into finding a way to pay because hello, we are columbia! I can't say that if Yale did that to me that I wouldn't take the bait... But I am an INTJ Cappy : we aren't necessarily good people.

7 hours ago, HumanHeatSOC said:

They want that money! It is obviously quite clever. Maybe they were hoping that you would be hypnotized by the prestige the name carries and talk yourself and family into finding a way to pay because hello, we are columbia! I can't say that if Yale did that to me that I wouldn't take the bait... But I am an INTJ Cappy : we aren't necessarily good people.

I honestly considered that masters because I was intimidated by applying to PhD with my profile. But then I read about what people do in the program and was intimidated by that too! I didn’t want to pay either but I felt for a hot second it was my best choice. If anyone here has done this program I’d be interested to hear about your experiences!

Edited by markhame

11 hours ago, smam said:

this is so relatable, when i got my first acceptance i immediately thought "oh, thank god i don't have to do this job for another year.' i could not have done it. 

Yes it gives me a ray of light whenever I’m in a situation at work that is unpleasant. Because I can walk out the door if I choose and no one even knows I applied to grad school. But this week is so trying. My boss is micro managing my time very aggressively (I’ve pushed back on an impossible deadline 4 times now and she still insists). If this were happening earlier in my time at this job (my first job) it would really tank my mental health. Now it’s simplt... difficult