Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

10 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

I hope Harvard releases the admits pretty fast. I applied for gender/political sociology subfields. I did not hear positively from any of my sociology schools. I am getting in depression

I feel you, bud. I got three consecutive rejections from schools I thought were really well-aligned with my interests. How many do you have left to hear from?

12 hours ago, jriveracal said:

Oh it's real alright!

The call came somewhere around 3:30 PST.

Thank you to the above people who have congratulated me and wished me well...it truly means a lot to me. I'm literally dying and can't believe this is really happening. I appreciate the fact that my POI/committee chair took a moment to tell me that no, this is not a mistake, because I definitely was and still am feeling like this is a huge accident. I sounded like a bumbling idiot on the phone and just cried and kept saying THANK YOU SO MUCH IM SO SORRY FOR CRYING. Luckily he was really cool about it and understood. Pretty personal, but I am actually the first person in my family to even complete high school so this is literally the most incredible and unexpected honor I could ever have happen to me and my family.

Wow, what a tremendous accomplishment. It's clear your hard work has paid off. Good luck and give 'em hell!

Wow Getting a call from Harvard. I guess that phone call fits into what we say as "life can change in a minute". Many congratulations. I hope they send out their decisions soon. It's quite unsettling that this year the decisions of some unis are delayed. Can we hear something today ? I am getting exhausted just by waiting. And this doesn't sit well with my anxiety issues.

So much exciting news the last couple of days. I know it's hard for those of us who haven't received any acceptances yet or have been rejected from some of our top choices. Not to be one of those "self-care!!!" types, but I wanted to ask if anyone had some positive tactics for dealing with the rejection and disappointment that comes with this whole process. I am a little worried about my fellow posters who may not be happy with their results so far.

I feel joy for those who have been accepted to these top-five schools while simultaneously feeling bad that I wasn't chosen. It's not like I really expected to get into Michigan or Stanford, and I know that the process is essentially random depending on who's in the room when your application is read, etc. And I know that there are far too many qualified candidates who could thrive at those places. I guess I'm in good company. I'm very fortunate to have gotten into two places, so maybe I should just be grateful for that. But it's still hard to understand how somewhere like Stanford picks like 5-10 people out of hundreds to accept.

11 hours ago, kkr_soc said:

Congrats to you!!!! So good that people are getting accepted to their top programs. I’m so happy for all of us 

Berkeley and Stanford are mine and I was also accepted at both. Totally unexpected 

Looks like you've got yourself in a win-win situation!

4 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

So much exciting news the last couple of days. I know it's hard for those of us who haven't received any acceptances yet or have been rejected from some of our top choices. Not to be one of those "self-care!!!" types, but I wanted to ask if anyone had some positive tactics for dealing with the rejection and disappointment that comes with this whole process. I am a little worried about my fellow posters who may not be happy with their results so far.

I feel joy for those who have been accepted to these top-five schools while simultaneously feeling bad that I wasn't chosen. It's not like I really expected to get into Michigan or Stanford, and I know that the process is essentially random depending on who's in the room when your application is read, etc. And I know that there are far too many qualified candidates who could thrive at those places. I guess I'm in good company. I'm very fortunate to have gotten into two places, so maybe I should just be grateful for that. But it's still hard to understand how somewhere like Stanford picks like 5-10 people out of hundreds to accept.

This is a sweet and refreshing post. I've been going on walks and runs to clear my hear when feeling the weight of the disappointment. I think, realistically, it's very difficult for these programs to choose from among so many incredible applicants. There is no shame in re-applying with a broader net if you don't get into a suitable program as, in the US, we're lucky to have so many great options. I'm currently in a Masters program so I know if I re-apply next year I will have my dissertation for a writing sample and recs from my supervisor, which will hopefully change the game if I find myself needing to go through this process again.

I think rejection is part of the life of an academic, and rolling with the punches is an important thing to do. For my fellow applicants who have been rejected so far, I've reminded myself that another year out means another year to improve your application and explore the field/your own interests. Sometimes things take patience, and a PhD/life in academia is a marathon, not a sprint. Lots of hugs, though. I know this is hard. 

44 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

I feel you, bud. I got three consecutive rejections from schools I thought were really well-aligned with my interests. How many do you have left to hear from?

I only heard back from UMass Amherst :(

On 2/7/2019 at 3:38 PM, pistachiomacaron said:

Hi @both_and_also - I did apply to LSE Soc but not until the January funding deadline, so I haven't heard anything either. What I've seen from other departments is that they stick pretty closely to their 8 week timeline but of course this will vary by program and numbers, so I wouldn't panic! I have an MA from University College London which doesn't give me expertise except to say that decisions may be later because they're on a different timeline and funding is so different. Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the information @pistachiomacaron ! It's good to know others are still waiting for decisions too. I irrationally feared my application got lost somehow. I am still waiting to hear from them and it's now the 11th week since I submitted. I will probably reach out early next week if I still hear nothing. I will let you know what they say. Best of luck to you too!

I am curious as to where people got the information that Stanford admitted only 5 people that the results page seems to indicate. I got waitlisted there, and in their email, they said they admitted 10. I'm not sure if anyone has any insight, but thank you all for your help regardless!

2 minutes ago, both_and_also said:

I am curious as to where people got the information that Stanford admitted only 5 people that the results page seems to indicate. I got waitlisted there, and in their email, they said they admitted 10. I'm not sure if anyone has any insight, but thank you all for your help regardless!

In my rejection letter, they said there were only five spaces. But they accept more than five people because not all of them will end up coming. So it seems like they admit ten and expect half to come. Hopefully only four accept their offers and you'll hop off that waitlist :) 

50 minutes ago, gradgirrrl said:

This is a sweet and refreshing post. I've been going on walks and runs to clear my hear when feeling the weight of the disappointment. I think, realistically, it's very difficult for these programs to choose from among so many incredible applicants. There is no shame in re-applying with a broader net if you don't get into a suitable program as, in the US, we're lucky to have so many great options. I'm currently in a Masters program so I know if I re-apply next year I will have my dissertation for a writing sample and recs from my supervisor, which will hopefully change the game if I find myself needing to go through this process again.

I think rejection is part of the life of an academic, and rolling with the punches is an important thing to do. For my fellow applicants who have been rejected so far, I've reminded myself that another year out means another year to improve your application and explore the field/your own interests. Sometimes things take patience, and a PhD/life in academia is a marathon, not a sprint. Lots of hugs, though. I know this is hard. 

In 2017, I entered a Master's program after being rejected by 12 PhD programs. Yesterday I was accepted by my top two choices. Failure is fundamental in academia, and it is a grind. I learned a lot from my rejections, and I still feel like I have a chip on my shoulder. So any advise I would give is to learn the most you can out of the rejections. I wanted to become a sociologist even more after being rejected. Decide who you want to be and grind relentlessly until it happens. 

Edited by socfeynman

8 minutes ago, SgtDonut said:

In my rejection letter, they said there were only five spaces. But they accept more than five people because not all of them will end up coming. So it seems like they admit ten and expect half to come. Hopefully only four accept their offers and you'll hop off that waitlist :) 

Thanks for the information @SgtDonut ! That makes so much more sense now. I can't say I like my chances of getting off the waitlist, only four or less out of ten accepting seems like a longshot. We will see though!  

4 minutes ago, artvandaley said:

anybody else waiting for brown results?

I am.... I can't stand this waiting. I am not optimistic about it, but still... Do u have any idea or info about when they announce?

1 minute ago, King Sahl Sociology said:

Two rejections in a row. Today was Columbia. I've come to the conclusion I am not going to get accepted anywhere and am now re-contemplating my entire life lol

awww... me too. feeling down. my safety school was not really a safety school after all......

1 hour ago, artvandaley said:

anybody else waiting for brown results?

The Brown was a total *** for the political science applications. They admitted people but not rejected or waitlisted others and left us in the limbo. I wish they released the results at the same day. I can accept rejection. I just want an answer.

Just now, TheBunny said:

The Brown was a total *** for the political science applications. They admitted people but not rejected or waitlisted others and left us in the limbo. I wish they released the results at the same day. I can accept rejection. I just want an answer.

Did you hear back from Boston University ?

1 minute ago, DuBois said:

Did you hear back from Boston University ?

Nope. I got in Boston University for political science but I did not hear back from their sociology program. I think they still have some time for sociology results because sociology deadline was way later than political science deadline