Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

21 minutes ago, HumanHeatSOC said:

@DuBois & @ALieNNatioN .... I opened a special credit card just for this... worth it, but I wish I had known about this site before hand. A lot of support has been found here -a good resource with people far more intelligent than I (as far as educational endeavors go. HELLO GRE's, come take me demon). Perhaps forming a little over-the-next-few-months-to-get-our-sh*&t-together group?!? But hey, we've been able to see people who have been/are in our position get that notification that changed their lives... and to me that's priceless, motivating even. 

And maybe there is still hope! I know I'm still waiting on Mississippi (and other official rejections) to come in. More (im)patiently waiting to follow. 

I was lucky that a friend helped me out with the payments. Credit cards are beyond me. I have only applied at Chicago and Harvard. Going by last years results they should have been out by now.

18 hours ago, awamba94 said:

They sent out their decisions Feb. 14th last year, so I'm guessing we will hear from them sometime this week. Hopefully all three of us get in!

thanks, yes! wish you the very best too.

18 hours ago, TheBunny said:

I saw that you applied Northeastern. Were you at Northeastern this week? They had a preadmission event.

I'm an international applicant - this doesn't apply to us, right?

18 hours ago, TheBunny said:

The Brown was a total *** for the political science applications. They admitted people but not rejected or waitlisted others and left us in the limbo. I wish they released the results at the same day. I can accept rejection. I just want an answer.

Oh no, I hate this too.. This is happening to me with Toronto. It is really too rude to not even care to write a rejection letter. That way, I love what Stanford does.

3 minutes ago, artvandaley said:

I saw that you applied Northeastern. Were you at Northeastern this week? They had a preadmission event.

I saw some international students who came to visit, but the admission decisions were not finalized yet. It will be finalized until Mid- to Late- February. For the internationals who could not come, they held Skype interviews.

Just now, TheBunny said:

I saw some international students who came to visit, but the admission decisions were not finalized yet. It will be finalized until Mid- to Late- February. For the internationals who could not come, they held Skype interviews.

oh noooooooo why!

see you again next year folks.

9 minutes ago, artvandaley said:

oh noooooooo why!

see you again next year folks.

I was not invited to or interviewed, too. But I e-mailed the school, and they told me to wait until Mid- to Late- February for finalized decisions. So, don't lose your hope. Which area do you want to work on?

14 hours ago, thetrailblazers said:

Is anyone else still waiting on UCSB? What might this mean??

Shamelessly bumping my own post.

Had anyone been accepted to UCSB? Only see rejections from yesterday, and I haven’t gotten anything yet from them.

Hey all - congratulations to those who received acceptances and wait-lists this week! I have a question for those of you who have applied more than one cycle or plan to do so -- this is my second round applying (two years ago it was for a different degree track, I have a background in social science/English, so I have a much stronger application this round).
If you don't get in somewhere or get accepted to a lower choice school, are you planning to reapply until you get a higher acceptance? I feel like there's no way I could muster the energy to do another cycle! Anyone else feel that way too? ❤️

For those w/ Yale interviews- 
How did they go? I think today is the last day they are interviewing so I am hoping we'll hear before the end of the week. My tummy keeps doing somersaults. Did they tell you anything during yours about when we'd hear back? I was too nervous to ask.

19 minutes ago, pistachiomacaron said:

Hey all - congratulations to those who received acceptances and wait-lists this week! I have a question for those of you who have applied more than one cycle or plan to do so -- this is my second round applying (two years ago it was for a different degree track, I have a background in social science/English, so I have a much stronger application this round).
If you don't get in somewhere or get accepted to a lower choice school, are you planning to reapply until you get a higher acceptance? I feel like there's no way I could muster the energy to do another cycle! Anyone else feel that way too? ❤️

Best of luck to you in being admitted this cycle ??? 

if you don’t get in to your top schools, what do you think you could do to make your app tangibly stronger? Obviously I’m not an expert at all, but I was advised to go to a middle tier school over re-applying if I didn’t get in to my top choice. Incredible sociologists come from all schools! I know a lot of people who didn’t go to brand name schools but are still teaching at R1 institutions and are leading experts in their niche areas. Basically I agree that it’s just not worth the stress/anxiety/effort/time/money to wait for a higher acceptance

On 2/11/2019 at 2:42 PM, Soc&Edu said:

Just received an email from Penn State, saying that my status has changed. When I log in to my account, the website shows that I need to "accept" or "decline" the offer and if clicking "accept", the graduate school will start the second step and compete reviewing my application. However, I have a question for it. Does it mean that I have to accept the offer in order to know the funding details and other information? Or does "accept" the offer means I will attend PSU? 

@Soc&Edu, did you get any clarification on this? 

9 minutes ago, Soc_foucault said:

if you don’t get in to your top schools, what do you think you could do to make your app tangibly stronger? Obviously I’m not an expert at all, but I was advised to go to a middle tier school over re-applying if I didn’t get in to my top choice. Incredible sociologists come from all schools! I know a lot of people who didn’t go to brand name schools but are still teaching at R1 institutions and are leading experts in their niche areas. Basically I agree that it’s just not worth the stress/anxiety/effort/time/money to wait for a higher acceptance

Totally agree!!!

Hey, so I know this is a super anxious time for everyone. I know that many of us have put a lot of effort into our schooling and it's also one way that we seek validation for our efforts and sometimes, even our worth. That being said, I think it's important to not build your identity on this. Whether or not you're accepted to your tops picks or even any programs this cycle, just remember that things are going to be okay. Things will work out. My best friend and I both applied last year. I got accepted into most programs I applied to while my best friend (who was just as capable and intelligent as I was) was rejected from every program he applied to. I was so confused. The only program I didn't get accepted to was my "safety" school, which was even more confusing to me. I chose a program where I had dreamed of working with a specific advisor for several years. It didn't go as I had planned. He was a problematic advisor and faculty member, and he was fired/under investigation the week I moved across the country to work with him. I was devastated, feeling that all the work I had put into getting to that place was for naught. But it wasn't I've learned a lot about myself, my research directions, and the type of researcher I want to be through all of this. This crushing blow became a foundation that has put me in an entirely new mindset, and one I feel we need in academia. Sometimes it's going to such. So much time you put into one project or another will seem like a total waste, and if you're anything like me, you'll blame yourself, and shame yourself for not being "good enough". My friend who didn't get accepted anywhere last year had five offers already this year; four of them from programs that rejected him last year. Sometimes it's just a matter of fit or timing. Yet, regardless of what happens, don't give up on yourself or your goals. Allow yourself to feel bad for a bit because, let's be honest, it sucks when things don't go the way we planned. But it will work out if we keep working at it (one way or another). Wishing all of you the best this season, but we're all here for you, even if this round isn't going your way. Some of us have been there and we feel it all with you. 

1 minute ago, user4224 said:

Hey, so I know this is a super anxious time for everyone. I know that many of us have put a lot of effort into our schooling and it's also one way that we seek validation for our efforts and sometimes, even our worth. That being said, I think it's important to not build your identity on this. Whether or not you're accepted to your tops picks or even any programs this cycle, just remember that things are going to be okay. Things will work out. My best friend and I both applied last year. I got accepted into most programs I applied to while my best friend (who was just as capable and intelligent as I was) was rejected from every program he applied to. I was so confused. The only program I didn't get accepted to was my "safety" school, which was even more confusing to me. I chose a program where I had dreamed of working with a specific advisor for several years. It didn't go as I had planned. He was a problematic advisor and faculty member, and he was fired/under investigation the week I moved across the country to work with him. I was devastated, feeling that all the work I had put into getting to that place was for naught. But it wasn't I've learned a lot about myself, my research directions, and the type of researcher I want to be through all of this. This crushing blow became a foundation that has put me in an entirely new mindset, and one I feel we need in academia. Sometimes it's going to such. So much time you put into one project or another will seem like a total waste, and if you're anything like me, you'll blame yourself, and shame yourself for not being "good enough". My friend who didn't get accepted anywhere last year had five offers already this year; four of them from programs that rejected him last year. Sometimes it's just a matter of fit or timing. Yet, regardless of what happens, don't give up on yourself or your goals. Allow yourself to feel bad for a bit because, let's be honest, it sucks when things don't go the way we planned. But it will work out if we keep working at it (one way or another). Wishing all of you the best this season, but we're all here for you, even if this round isn't going your way. Some of us have been there and we feel it all with you. 

This is exactly what this thread needs right now.. *Sobbing*

3 minutes ago, user4224 said:

Thank you for articulating what many of us needed to hear, really. :) 

59 minutes ago, pistachiomacaron said:

As someone who applied for a second round, I want to echo what Soc_foucault said, as it fits advice I was given after my first round. If there is something in your application that you know you can improve with a reasonable amount of effort, such as study to raise your GRE scores, then a second round may be worthwhile. For example, for my first round I had no recommendation letters from sociologists, as I was switching disciplines. I was also in a position where I could take courses in sociology at a top school with significantly reduced tuition. This let me a) take courses in sociology and write a better/more nuanced cover letter and b) create relationships with sociology faculty for advice on how to improve my application for a sociology department specifically and for recommendation letters.

So far, this round has been much more successful for me. However, this is a specific case. I was advised pretty outright that if I had not been in the position I was in with really actionable application improvements to strive for at a limited cost, that going to a lower ranked school was more advisable. So, it really depends on your case, but in general, the advice is go for the lower ranked acceptance.

Edited by baozi

10 minutes ago, user4224 said:

Thank you. Much needed. 

1 hour ago, gradgirrrl said:

For those w/ Yale interviews- 
How did they go? I think today is the last day they are interviewing so I am hoping we'll hear before the end of the week. My tummy keeps doing somersaults. Did they tell you anything during yours about when we'd hear back? I was too nervous to ask.

I was told to expect to hear back from them by the end of this week. "Then there is this interesting sort of "betting" [or vetting]" process that will be discussed later.[Absolutely no idea what that means].

Edited by jriveracal

36 minutes ago, user4224 said:

Hey, so I know this is a super anxious time for everyone...

Yes, thanks for everything you said. My confidence in getting accepted dwindles by the day, but I am getting myself into a better place where the idea of waiting till next cycle doesn't sound so horrible. At least next cycle I will no what to expect, how to prepare etc. I was so lost applying this time around. There's a silver lining to everything. One more year of waiting for grad school is not a big deal in the grand scheme of our lives.

Edited by bandanajack

1 hour ago, Soc_foucault said:

Depends somewhat on your definition of "middle tier" , but I don't necessarily think this is great advice, especially if you have a decent job to stay at in the meantime (if you hate your job or are coming out of undergrad with no job offers, then that's much tougher lol).

But anyone who follows the sociology job market knows how brutal it is--and I think it's important for everyone to be real with themselves about the end result for this degree. For example, two solidly middle tier programs, Boulder and UC Riverside, have one placement each so far this job market cycle--at SUNY Cortland and Penn State Abington (a satellite campus for Penn State). Would you be happy going to school making $25k per year for 5-6 years and end up living and working in those places? Maybe, but I know a lot of people (myself included) who would find that difficult to swallow. 

So, all that being said--if you have even just a decent job to hang onto for another year, and think you can improve your application a bit and get into a significantly higher ranked program, it's worth thinking long and hard about. Yes, this month sucks, but it's just one month in a (hopefully) very long career. Could pay off a lot to hold out and try again.