Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

1 hour ago, SgtDonut said:

I definitely agree with this advice. The lower-ranked programs tend to place more people in adjunct or lecturer positions, which have typically have low salaries and weak job security. However, I think going into a lower-ranked program with your mind open to non-academic jobs could be smart. If you don't get an academic position, a sociology PhD can be a useful credential in all sorts of roles/organizations across the public, private, and nonprofit sectors. So yes, it's risky and potentially a "bad investment" but the degree itself can help you advance your career, even if you don't go into academia.

But to your point, let's compare some placement records from previous years. A grad student at Northwestern sent me this thread from another forum a couple months ago that has these data (apparently the forum is a total cesspool aside from useful information like this, because some schools don't list their placement records on their websites) .The list doesn't include postdoctoral positions, so this is just tenure-track jobs. Last year, UCLA placed students in jobs at Toronto, New Mexico, Loyola Marymount, Barnard, Ohio State, CSU Channel Islands, University of Illinois-Chicago, and Hunan University in China. Wisconsin placed graduates at University of Denver, Copenhagen Business School, Tufts, Chinese University of Hong Kong, and Colorado State. We can debate which school has a better record in this particular year, although I would probably rather work at more of the schools where UCLA placed its graduates.This all varies year to year by cohort size of course, but I think it can be helpful to look at the "caliber" of where grad students actually end up after they finish their PhD (even though the sample size is small and there are so many variables influencing who gets what job where). You can also look at placement across the last five years or so to get a better idea of postgraduate outcomes for different school.

There is a lot of variation among lower-ranked schools. Last year, Emory appears to have placed one person in a tenure-track position at Utah State. UMass placed graduates at Missouri State, South Carolina, and Sam Houston State University. But then you have Vanderbilt placing five people at UNC, Rutgers, VCU, George Mason, and Arkansas (arguably a more desirable list of schools than Wisconsin). Just something to take into account when deciding where/whether to go. I definitely plan to ask about placement and professional development at admitted student days.

Yes totally agree here. I was really fortunate to be on the hiring committee at my undergrad institution. We got 162 applications for one tenure track job. If anyone is interested in how we picked out who to hire, let me know. I’m happy to talk more about the process if it could be useful for anyone but don’t want to blabber on if people already know 

3 hours ago, user4224 said:

@Soc&Edu, did you get any clarification on this? 

Yes, I emailed the program assistant and she told me it's not an official offer yet. You could just accept it and the official letter will be sent in a couple of days. What happened on my account after I clicked "accept" is that the system needs you to mail official transcripts from your previous institutions. I think the schools just want to make sure that you are still considering them before any further steps :) Hope it helps! 

18 hours ago, smam said:

oof @ the person who felt the need to publicly shame someone for being accepted to a lot of schools and expressing excitement on the results page... let people be proud of themselves! getting into good grad programs is a huge accomplishment! 

I'm that person. I reject your "oof."

I'm also "batting 1.000" for applications (three of the same schools as the Stanford admit, in fact), but I found the post self-serving, pompous, and falsely humble. The results page is a harbinger of terrible news for many applicants, so the humble-bragging, "woe is me, however did I not anticipate such success? *faint*" celebration is tactless. Note your admission for informational purposes and save your celebration for a venue with more context, such as this thread. 

Nattering on about your flawless admission record for a given cycle on the results page is like celebrating your lottery win in front of the breadline. 

Edited by Derriduh

2 minutes ago, Derriduh said:

I'm also "batting 1.000" for applications (three of the same schools as the Stanford admit, in fact), but I found the post self-serving, pompous, and falsely humble. The results page is a harbinger of terrible news for many applicants, so the humble-bragging, "woe is me, however did I not anticipate such success? *faint*" celebration is tactless. Note your admission for informational purposes and save your celebration for a venue with more context, such as this thread. 

Nattering on about your flawless admission record for a given cycle on the results page is like celebrating your lottery win in front of the breadline. 

Yeah, no one here is gonna agree with you. Getting rejected sucks, but raining on other people's parades rather than cheering their success is counterproductive. Also, maybe that person is a first-generation college student or has overcome tremendous adversity to make it this far, so they're overjoyed to see their hard work pay off. Your comment was unnecessary.

Just now, SgtDonut said:

Yeah, no one here is gonna agree with you. Getting rejected sucks, but raining on other people's parades rather than cheering their success is counterproductive. Also, maybe that person is a first-generation college student or has overcome tremendous adversity to make it this far, so they're overjoyed to see their hard work pay off. Your comment was unnecessary.

I'm a former drug addict, experienced child homelessness, and suffer from a learning disability (ADHD). I somehow found a way to tactfully (and silently) celebrate my success over obstacles. Should we continue with the sob story dick measuring contest, or leave it there? 

At any rate, it's a tactless move - betraying either incapacitating emotional naivete or arrogance. Either are unfortunate. 

Just now, Derriduh said:

I'm a former drug addict, experienced child homelessness, and suffer from a learning disability (ADHD). I somehow found a way to tactfully (and silently) celebrate my success over obstacles. Should we continue with the sob story dick measuring contest, or leave it there? 

At any rate, it's a tactless move - betraying either incapacitating emotional naivete or arrogance. Either are unfortunate. 

Tactless or not, you contributed to the same thing you're campaigning against when you talked about your own acceptances. Let's all get back to commiserating. P.S. love your name. 

Just now, Derriduh said:

I wish you could tactfully and silently keep your toxic energy off this thread.

Just now, socchi92 said:

Tactless or not, you contributed to the same thing you're campaigning against when you talked about your own acceptances. Let's all get back to commiserating. P.S. love your name. 

Fair enough. I felt explaining myself was warranted. Job done. 

And thanks. I'm glad you picked up the trace of humor in the name. :)

Just now, Derriduh said:

It was such a small and innocuous comment that has now been given ten times more attention due to your complaining than it would have had you ignored it. Congratulations for celebrating in silence (even though you've now mentioned your own success MORE TIMES THAN THE PERSON YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT). That other person was not you, and chose to make a comment about their acceptances. Not a big deal! 

Not getting accepted to your top programs sucks with OR WITHOUT people celebrating their acceptances. At least when people celebrate openly we can see some good news to counter our bad news. 

I find your continual posting about this topic to be ten times more pretentious than that other persons tiny celebratory comment on a single post in the results page. 
Please stop using this forum as a place to complain about other people. 

1 minute ago, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

It was such a small and innocuous comment that has now been given ten times more attention due to your complaining than it would have had you ignored it. Congratulations for celebrating in silence (even though you've now mentioned your own success MORE TIMES THAN THE PERSON YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT). That other person was not you, and chose to make a comment about their acceptances. Not a big deal! 

Not getting accepted to your top programs sucks with OR WITHOUT people celebrating their acceptances. At least when people celebrate openly we can see some good news to counter our bad news. 

I find your continual posting about this topic to be ten times more pretentious than that other persons tiny celebratory comment on a single post in the results page. 
Please stop using this forum as a place to complain about other people. 

Oh boy. I'll assume based on your tortured writing that you were not a celebratory admit. :)

Edited by Derriduh

Changing the topic to: WAITLISTS.

Does anyone know how they work? 

As an example, UCI sent out their acceptances. Would I still be waiting around to be waitlisted? Or is that a hard pass for me?

3 minutes ago, Dorkface said:

Changing the topic to: WAITLISTS.

Does anyone know how they work? 

As an example, UCI sent out their acceptances. Would I still be waiting around to be waitlisted? Or is that a hard pass for me?

Sometimes you'll be explicitly told that you're on a waitlist and other times you won't be. A mentor told me that typically when a program has sent out acceptances and rejections, but your application status has not changed, it probably means you're on a waitlist and just haven't been told. So if you haven't heard anything it doesn't mean it's a rejection. 

1 minute ago, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

Sometimes you'll be explicitly told that you're on a waitlist and other times you won't be. A mentor told me that typically when a program has sent out acceptances and rejections, but your application status has not changed, it probably means you're on a waitlist and just haven't been told. So if you haven't heard anything it doesn't mean it's a rejection. 

Okay, this is good to know. 

I'll have to go back and check if UCI sent out rejections. I don't think they ever did. 

25 minutes ago, Derriduh said:

Oh boy. I'll assume based on your tortured writing that you were not a celebratory admit. :)

Why did you come here to be an asshole? I thought you were arguing for being considerate of the feelings of those on this site. 

2 minutes ago, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

Thank you that is helpful!

NYU has sent out acceptances and waitlists (apparently), and my status has not changed. What does it mean in this case? Do i just wait for a rejection? :(

Just now, Vldksh said:

Thank you that is helpful!

NYU has sent out acceptances and waitlists (apparently), and my status has not changed. What does it mean in this case? Do i just wait for a rejection? :(

A friend of mine said she had to phone programs to get rejections. They don't necessarily all send them out, she said. 

5 minutes ago, Dorkface said:

A friend of mine said she had to phone programs to get rejections. They don't necessarily all send them out, she said. 

I honestly would rather just never know the outcome than actually call and be told I'm rejected over the phone :( 

49 minutes ago, Derriduh said:

For what it's worth, I actually agree with your premise that celebrating/bragging on this site can be in poor taste, since so many people here are primarily anxious and dealing with rejections and/or difficult decisions. I think this forum ought to primarily be for information exchange and commiserating--although claiming acceptances is fine when done appropriately and lends credibility to the results board...but because this is all anonymous, we can't really properly actually celebrate the individual's accomplishment, so bragging about one's wealth of acceptances really just serves to make other people feel like shit while signaling that some person out there is having a swell time with this process. Nobody really comes out ahead there. 

That being said, you were a dick about it when you could have just said something simple like "Hey congratulations, that's great, just be conscientious that a lot of people reading this board are nervous and dealing with rejections of their own".

Don't be a dick. And go Google the Streisand Effect while you're at it. 

4 minutes ago, DuBois said:

Does anyone know if all the Chicago and Harvard acceptances have gone out ? Would be immenseley grateful. Thanks 

Will really be grateful if anyone can confirm it as I am 12.5 hours away from the US and cannot call. I have to stay awake even during nights to go through this.