Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

Looks like this year Chicago turned a lot of interviewees down. I heard usually they turn down 1/3 of interviews.. and this year the professor who interviewed me said they had to cut the list due to lack of funding. She said they cut the target number from 13-15 to 9 this year. I didn't get in either and I was not that surprised... though very sad. 

Its so weird to me that such prestigious programs can suffer so much from lack of funding but alas. I wish those admitted the best!

im nervous about northwestern tomorrow but so glad the day is finally here (assuming)

Edited by markhame

2 hours ago, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

Is anyone who was waitlisted for funding at Rutgers planning on attending the campus visit day? Today I got an email about the itinerary and was wondering how many of us there are who are waiting on funding and how y'all are making the decision about whether to go or not. 

I got accepted to Rutgers and I will most probably reject. And one of my friends also will reject soon.

29 minutes ago, Miners Canary said:

Has anyone applied to Harvard and/or Princeton Social Policy? I applied to both Sociology and Social Policy at both schools and haven’t heard back from either. 

I did not hear back from Harvard as well from sociology

21 minutes ago, Soccray said:

Has anyone heard back from UPenn or Brown? I got rejected from Columbia (from a professor I worked for so that stung LOL) and UCLA this month. 

There are a couple Penn acceptances on the results board but I haven’t heard anything yet. (I was also rejected from a Columbia, I feel you)

51 minutes ago, Soccray said:

Has anyone heard back from UPenn or Brown? I got rejected from Columbia (from a professor I worked for so that stung LOL) and UCLA this month. 

I am waiting for Brown... For political science and for sociology...

Hey folks, I haven't chimed into the thread yet but have been watching along. I'm curious how many others have yet to hear back from Columbia and how they're reading that? It's my top choice and I haven't gotten any acceptances yet... hoping it means wait list?

3 hours ago, Sercan_ said:

I got accepted to Rutgers and I will most probably reject. And one of my friends also will reject soon.

Thanks for letting me know that there's still hope! I am waitlisted for funding by Rutgers as well

Which school will you attend? Just curious

And congrats!!

12 hours ago, TheBunny said:

When did you hear back from BC? I am still waiting for it. I did not get any notification

Just wanted to let you know I got a call from a POI at BC about two weeks ago. Not sure if there’s any other acceptances on the board. 

Edited by sosociology

6 hours ago, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

Is anyone who was waitlisted for funding at Rutgers planning on attending the campus visit day? Today I got an email about the itinerary and was wondering how many of us there are who are waiting on funding and how y'all are making the decision about whether to go or not. 

I am waitlisted for funding too. I am not attending the campus visit day because it is too expensive for me to make international travel and I have a full-time job, but I may attend the Skype session. Not sure how the waitlist works for us, hopefully we can both hear some good news from them soon!

Just now, ALieNNatioN said:

I am waitlisted for funding too. I am not attending the campus visit day because it is too expensive for me to make international travel and I have a full-time job, but I may attend the Skype session. Not sure how the waitlist works for us, hopefully we can both hear some good news from them soon!

Fingers crossed for us both! 

2 hours ago, ALieNNatioN said:

Thanks for letting me know that there's still hope! I am waitlisted for funding by Rutgers as well

Which school will you attend? Just curious

And congrats!!

I hope you will get in where you want to! Good luck and fingers crossed! :) I will likely go to UT Austin as it is a better fit for me! And I like warm weathers :D

32 minutes ago, Sercan_ said:

I hope you will get in where you want to! Good luck and fingers crossed! :) I will likely go to UT Austin as it is a better fit for me! And I like warm weathers :D

Thanks! And UT Austin is definitely a great choice!

16 minutes ago, Sunsimmom said:

I have a question to those who got accepted from the University of Pennsylvania.

Have you received any interview or other kinds of contact before the admission letter?

I didn't have any contact prior to receiving the acceptance email this morning.

8 hours ago, queersoc said:

Hey folks, I haven't chimed into the thread yet but have been watching along. I'm curious how many others have yet to hear back from Columbia and how they're reading that? It's my top choice and I haven't gotten any acceptances yet... hoping it means wait list?

Same here. I saw the Columbia rejections come in this week but I haven't heard anything from them yet. Does anyone from the last application cycle know?

20 hours ago, TheBunny said:

I only saw one person I think, but I don't think they sent all the offers. I am tirelessly waiting to hear back from BC. The last time I spoke to them they told me that they are still reviewing apps for the sociology btw

I got into BC a few weeks ago. I think I was the only one to post too. It's a really small program so I didn't expect to see much on here. I'm sorry they haven't gotten back to you, that sucks :( I know their visit day is the end of March so maybe people will start to turn down offers around then.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:18 PM, tobe_newbee said:

Hi, I'm currently a doctoral student and applying for other doctoral programs for "fit" reason. Does anyone know if it is a disadvantage that I am already in a doctoral program? I've heard such things... so that makes me so nervous because I didn't receive good news yet. 

It is more common than you'd think. That's what I was told by the graduate director at UNC. However, they will likely expect you have a good justification for your reason to change. I think they will be skeptical if they see you are trying to leave a Ph.D. program and don't have a strong recommendation from someone at your original program. Programs don't want to admit a person who was difficult in another program and is just looking to start over because they couldn't get along with anyone. I'm currently a Ph.D. student who is also reapplying because of some issue in my department, but they were beyond my control, and my current graduate director gave me a glowing recommendation and explained the extenuating circumstances that necessitated my consideration of other programs. I only applied to five programs, and have been accepted to three so far, still waiting on the other two. So, again, if you have a good justification that can be supported by your current department, I don't think you'd have any trouble. But they may be more wary if they have reason to believe you're just trying to get away because you don't get along with anyone.  

On 2/15/2019 at 7:27 AM, beyzah said:

is tere anyone still waiting for UV soc and Boston U soc??? last year around this time, they had already send out the acceptances or interviews. This waiting is so devastating

Yeah, waiting for Boston U and a few others I'm yet to hear from :( This really sucks.

2 hours ago, beyzah said:

is tere anyone still waiting for UV soc and Boston U soc??? last year around this time, they had already send out the acceptances or interviews. This waiting is so devastating

I was going to ask myself. Nothing from UVA. I know its only been a few days but its the longest they've gone in a cycle without sending anything out. Perhaps they don't do interviews anymore? As I ask this question I realize that they will probably send an email out literally any day or hour now, but just a thought lol.

Just looked at gradcafe data again and the only pattern I see is that they typically do interviews, then a couple weeks later have acceptances (with rejections coming out in between). But it looks like in years past they had secondary interviews and even had acceptances spill into March. None of this answers our initial questions of when the heck we will hear something, but I am bored and driving myself mental so there you go :)

Edited by bandanajack