Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

Can we keep the trash talk out of the results? Looking at you Stanford ppl. Whether you're bashing on others or just posting your opinion, no one cares. I just want to see results come in. Keep the results clean.

Edited by bandanajack

I ditto @bandanajack. As someone applying next year, it's frustrating to watch people screw up the results board for future applicants. I use that board to get a sense of how many are being admitted, stats for admits when people are able/willing to post them, etc. Take the conversation somewhere else, please. You're messing it up for future applicants and personally I think that's inconsiderate (which is ironic considering that everyone's fighting over who's the least considerate).

Anyone apply to U Chicago's conceptual and historical studies of science committee? I need to hear back from them before I make my decision and am considering reaching out. Would that be rude?

1 minute ago, grcalt said:

Anyone apply to U Chicago's conceptual and historical studies of science committee? I need to hear back from them before I make my decision and am considering reaching out. Would that be rude?

No, it's not rude, especially in this circumstance. As I read before, you can always call the department if you don't want your name associated with it (out of fear adcomms would be annoyed by it). I personally doubt they care much if you have a legit concern/question. With that said I can imagine if their response is brief and blunt as they are so busy. Oh and through email it might take a while. Anecdotally, I am on day four of waiting to get a response, but I kind of expected that. They are busy, and may simply not have an answer at this time for me. Just make sure you email/call the listed faculty/staff contact for these inquires and check any FAQ's page to see if they have info on when results will be announced.

40 minutes ago, bandanajack said:

No, it's not rude, especially in this circumstance. As I read before, you can always call the department if you don't want your name associated with it (out of fear adcomms would be annoyed by it). I personally doubt they care much if you have a legit concern/question. With that said I can imagine if their response is brief and blunt as they are so busy. Oh and through email it might take a while. Anecdotally, I am on day four of waiting to get a response, but I kind of expected that. They are busy, and may simply not have an answer at this time for me. Just make sure you email/call the listed faculty/staff contact for these inquires and check any FAQ's page to see if they have info on when results will be announced.

Okay, the phone call is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

I need advice. 

Back in October, a professor (and graduate advisor for the program) asked me to consider applying for his program. Another email later and he asked me to reach out to him if I had any questions about my application (like he really wanted me to apply). 

Fast forward to now, and the acceptance letters went out in January. I did not get one. I also did not get a rejection or waitlist. 
Should I reach out to him? I'm getting incredible offers from other incredible institutions but really want to consider his program too!

3 minutes ago, Dorkface said:

I need advice. 

Back in October, a professor (and graduate advisor for the program) asked me to consider applying for his program. Another email later and he asked me to reach out to him if I had any questions about my application (like he really wanted me to apply). 

Fast forward to now, and the acceptance letters went out in January. I did not get one. I also did not get a rejection or waitlist. 
Should I reach out to him? I'm getting incredible offers from other incredible institutions but really want to consider his program too!

I would reach out. If you have serious interest in the program it would be worth it.

13 minutes ago, Dorkface said:

This has to be a joke. No Sociologist would willingly go to Trump University (I'm sure they don't even have a soc program). 

Checked and it looks like it went bust in 2010. Much earlier than I thought. From wikipedia it looks like they just did realty.

Edited by bandanajack

3 minutes ago, qeta said:

Congrats to all the Brown admits! If you have any questions about the department or want to meet for a chat during the visit, let me know.

Did Brown really admit people because I did not hear back from Brown yet and the admissions office told me that the offers had not been made.

19 hours ago, LCA_1350 said:

I'm also worried about the funding situation - the email from the director of graduate studies said "At this time, we cannot provide funding to cover tuition and living expenses. We are working to try and secure funding for you. It usually takes a month or so before we will know whether we can offer funding to you. We can, however, assure you that we are diligently working on this!"  This wording seems suspect, and from the previous post, it sounds like funding has been an issue in the past.  I've always been told that a PhD program without full funding is a major red flag.

I'm actually Anthro but as soon as I saw on the results page that y'all were talking about Syracuse I had to chime in. I applied to their Anthropology PhD program and to my surprise I was accepted. I was really happy and just like you I got an email saying that they were working on getting funding for me even though they didn't have any for me at the moment. I went up to Syracuse for their admitted students weekend where I was told that I was at the bottom of the waitlist for funding and it was very unlikely that I would receive any funding. It would have been nice if they had told me that since the beginning and not wait until I spent money to actually visit a frozen wasteland. ? I also heard that the Anthropology department is really not supportive. During my visit I stayed with a POC and they told me that as an international student and also a POC I should really think about my decision because Syracuse tends to be a hostile place. So yeah, if I were you I would definitely reconsider.

1 hour ago, TheBunny said:

Did Brown really admit people because I did not hear back from Brown yet and the admissions office told me that the offers had not been made.

When did they say offers had not been made? I'm also waiting to hear back from them, but from the amount of accepted entries on the results board, I'm inclined to think most if not all acceptances have gone out. ?

1 minute ago, socsoc19 said:

When did they say offers had not been made? I'm also waiting to hear back from them, but from the amount of accepted entries on the results board, I'm inclined to think most if not all acceptances have gone out. ?

On Friday. Overall, Brown drove me crazy for both majors I applied for. In both majors, I asked them, twice, if the decisions have been made and the offers have been sent and they said no to both of them. However, there are crazy amount of acceptances on the results page so I feel like they are lying.

2 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

On Friday. Overall, Brown drove me crazy for both majors I applied for. In both majors, I asked them, twice, if the decisions have been made and the offers have been sent and they said no to both of them. However, there are crazy amount of acceptances on the results page so I feel like they are lying.

Yeah, acceptances began being posted on the results board on Friday, so maybe you spoke with them right before? I'm just in general pretty over this waiting period, and I think I have a good idea of where I did and did not get in, so I'm 100% giving up on Brown. Or maybe 99.9% lol

1 minute ago, socsoc19 said:

Yeah, acceptances began being posted on the results board on Friday, so maybe you spoke with them right before? I'm just in general pretty over this waiting period, and I think I have a good idea of where I did and did not get in, so I'm 100% giving up on Brown. Or maybe 99.9% lol

I am in that situation, as well. I think the acceptances started to roll out two weeks before and I asked them several times for two different majors. All of them gave the same answer but like I see that people are getting accepted, but the school says there are no offers which they made. I also gave up on 99%. I got into another school in my other major which is the best possible fit for my research interests in the whole world so I will not feel sad when Brown says that they will not accept me. I just want my closure, so I can answer the other school positively. Realistically, Brown is the only school that I have been waiting for some time. 

2 hours ago, markhame said:

What are your research interests?

I'm in STS, mostly interested in the sociology of knowledge and pharmaceutical drug development/clinical trials. Don't know much about Wisconsin's program, in particular.