Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

If you are a person of color or international student-- do NOT attend Syracuse University for sociology. I urge you not to be fooled by the Maxwell moniker and its neoliberal nods to citizenship. The department is getting flack for being racist because it is. The continual silencing of POC's in the department is not only antithetical to sociology, but is also just very negatively impactful to grad students' lives. Multiple chairs have been complicit in forms of suppression, and one the former director of graduate studies is a horrid racist who has repeatedly targeted students of color in classes and the dept at large.  I will say there are a few faculty that can be allies and support, but they come few and far between and are outnumbered. The department does not care for activism and will try their damndest to weed out "troublemakers" and frame students as "good and productive" or "bad and unfit." On the level of scholarship, there's a lot to be admired and critiqued. But on the ground in the everyday operations, the connections between theory and practice are nonexistent. Would say it's laughable if it wasn't so violent and traumatic.

If you do decide to go, read your contract to ensure how much funding you are actually getting-- this has been a huge problem in the past and I hope it's resolved now.

Side note: for folks who have been accepted to any PhD programs. Congratulations!!! It can be an isolating experience for a number of reasons, esp for folks of marginalized identities. I truly hope that you are able to carve out a space for yourself in ways that are productive to your personal growth and happiness. If you are waiting still, fingers crossed. And those receiving rejections-- I am sorry. Keep your head up. It is a part of the process and speaks nothing to your capabilities and competencies. Get a feel for the fit of the depts you are looking at to see if they support you, your intellectual work, and your politics. 

just want to keep people informed as the decision letters come in.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, sociology999 said:

Waiting on UT Austin...should be out pretty soon? I hope

I'm also waiting on UT Austin (well, LBJ at UT Austin). Haven't seen anything about people hearing back. I'm pulling my hair out with anxiety over it.

have been stalking this forum and admissions page for a while, glad to have finally given up on pretending i'm not in deep.

one of the emory interview invites, weekend is next week, chances are pretty good i'll get in based on previous years invite/admit ratios so very excited!

still waiting to hear from northwestern,  cuny, university of arizona, university of iowa.

19 minutes ago, gradgirrrl said:

Did anyone else get that email from Yale office of diversity and almost poop themselves? Can't tell if they sent this to all applicants or only those that are "diverse" (i'm latina). 

Lol YAAAAASSS. I literally died. And then realized it was a frickin webinar lol. I'm 'diverse' too though so can't really speak to whether it went out to everyone or not.

4 hours ago, smam said:

i feel the exact same-- i already know i got into OSU and i'd be happy to go there but i still feel filled with anxiety for all the other schools i'm waiting on haha 

That’s such a mood! I will say I’m a little less stressed since I know there’s a plan after graduation, but the uncertainty of knowing exactly where I’ll be this time next year is killing me. 

Are you planning on going to the OSU visit day?

7 minutes ago, alinzar said:

That’s such a mood! I will say I’m a little less stressed since I know there’s a plan after graduation, but the uncertainty of knowing exactly where I’ll be this time next year is killing me. 

Are you planning on going to the OSU visit day?

same! i just want to know where i'll end up!  also yeah, i'm planning on going to the visit day at the moment! i think if i'm lucky enough to get a northwestern acceptance i would probably choose northwestern over OSU, but i'll probably do the visit anyway just to be sure. 

3 hours ago, MPA_App said:

I'm also waiting on UT Austin (well, LBJ at UT Austin). Haven't seen anything about people hearing back. I'm pulling my hair out with anxiety over it.

Good luck! PhD or MPAff? I am currently a student at lbj and I'm liking it. I applied to the soc PhD for next fall to be more involved in population research...

6 hours ago, sociology999 said:

Good luck! PhD or MPAff? I am currently a student at lbj and I'm liking it. I applied to the soc PhD for next fall to be more involved in population research...

MPAff! I love Austin generally and loved the campus a ton. Glad to hear you like it! I'm just stressed because my undergrad GPA is not great (I had some traumatic circumstances, which I wrote about in my supplemental essay), but my GRE scores were strong and I have 5+ years of professional political experience so...fingers crossed!

Good luck with your PhD application!

20 hours ago, smam said:

same! i just want to know where i'll end up!  also yeah, i'm planning on going to the visit day at the moment! i think if i'm lucky enough to get a northwestern acceptance i would probably choose northwestern over OSU, but i'll probably do the visit anyway just to be sure. 

I’m going to try and make it but I might have a conflict with the Saturday since I’ve got some pre-existing commitments. I’m waiting on Northwestern (and a bunch of other schools because I was very nervous going into this process). I look forward to meeting you!

3 hours ago, jriveracal said:

I'm at the point where every new email that comes in that is not from a school gets unsubscribed from so that I'm limiting my chances of disappointment.

Feeling positive about today for all of us. Good news has been coming out on Fridays it seems.

It's been quiet so far! Making me nervous

4 hours ago, jriveracal said:

I'm at the point where every new email that comes in that is not from a school gets unsubscribed from so that I'm limiting my chances of disappointment.

Feeling positive about today for all of us. Good news has been coming out on Fridays it seems.

Idk why but I felt like something would happen today too, even though I'm not really expecting anything until next week. I'm just losing all patience and composure lol. At any rate I wish you all good fortune. Keep us updated.

2 minutes ago, markhame said:

Wow I got into UCLA! Now I feel like a complete ass for thinking I wouldn’t get in anywhere. I’m so relieved to be accepted somewhere.

Congrats!!!! UCLA is an outstanding school to have been accepted to at all and especially as you wait for other admissions decisions. What made you think you wouldn’t get accepted?

In describing this process to my friends who didn't apply, I've found the easiest analogy is dating apps. We swiped right on all of these schools a month ago. Some of them have left us on read (no news yet), some have swiped left (rejection), some have matched with us (accepted), some have super liked us (accepted with bonus fellowship/funding), and some have started a conversation (interviews). 

I hope my poor performance history on dating apps is not indicative of how this process will end up... 

12 minutes ago, markhame said:

Wow I got into UCLA! Now I feel like a complete ass for thinking I wouldn’t get in anywhere. I’m so relieved to be accepted somewhere.

Congratulations!!! What subfield are you interested in?