Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

3 minutes ago, TheBunny said:

Nope, I will assume rejection probably as usual

The university is formally closed today, but it might be worth calling the department early tomorrow morning.

23 minutes ago, bandanajack said:

From his post it looks like it was yesterday. I did not get one. I hate to be so glum but my application for them was shit so I expect a rejection. Based on past grad cafe results from the past they may have another round of interview emails as decisions are made. Good luck.

thanks a lot for your kind response but i am quit sure i got rejected. thanx anyway

Hi, long time lurker here but starting to get antsy. Any updates on UPenn admissions? There were 3 claims of acceptances, but I don't think anyone has claimed them yet on this forum. Also still waiting for Princeton and Cornell (Development Sociology), but there seem to have been no movement on that front as of yet. Anyone with info on UPenn or Cornell, I'd love to hear what intel you have :)

• I have to say, this was a very unnecessary comment coming from the most elite institution in the united states. "I know that this decision comes as a disappointment. Unfortunately, enrollment of new students is limited to a small fraction of those who are qualified for admission." Harvard absolutely gets more qualified applicants than they admit.

This was from the results page. I think Harvard does mean exactly that - they get more qualified applicants than they admit. I read it several times and (coming from a background in journalism) this is a little bit of a poorly-worded message because it caries a double meaning depending on colloquial interpretation. 

41 minutes ago, bandanajack said:
  • I have to say, this was a very unnecessary comment coming from the most elite institution in the united states. "I know that this decision comes as a disappointment. Unfortunately, enrollment of new students is limited to a small fraction of those who are qualified for admission." Harvard absolutely gets more qualified applicants than they admit.

This was from the results page. I think Harvard does mean exactly that - they get more qualified applicants than they admit. I read it several times and (coming from a background in journalism) this is a little bit of a poorly-worded message because it caries a double meaning depending on colloquial interpretation. 

I read it several times as well and came to a conclusion that the poor usage of an adverb-"absolutely", in this case-made the sentence confusing as hell. The writer is apparently mocking Harvard by saying that the school didnt have to make such comment since it is so obvious that there are more applicants than admitted students. Ironically, despite the redundancy in Harvard's comment that the writer criticizes, he/she unfortunately makes the same mistake by reiterating (and making it even worse!) what has been said already.

22 minutes ago, Vldksh said:

I read it several times as well and came to a conclusion that the poor usage of an adverb-"absolutely", in this case-made the sentence confusing as hell. The writer is apparently mocking Harvard by saying that the school didnt have to make such comment since it is so obvious that there are more applicants than admitted students. Ironically, despite the redundancy in Harvard's comment that the writer criticizes, he/she unfortunately makes the same mistake by reiterating (and making it even worse!) what has been said already.

*Stares into mirror* It was me who confused all along, lmao. I read "absolutely" as an angry and sassy remark meant to accuse Harvard of sending a passive aggressive message. I did that because I (initially)  read Harvard's message as basically meaning "you are not qualified, and that is why you did not get in." 

14 hours ago, beyzah said:

I saw some boston uni acceptances on results page. go check your e-mails! it could be a good news :)

Quite a lot going on about Boston acceptances on the results page lol! I think Boston spreads it's acceptances over 2-3 days going by previous year posts. But sadly no mails so far. 

Has anyone accepted at Berkeley gotten any emails from faculty or grad students there? I received my acceptance letter and info about the visit weekend from Amie Acik, their graduate coordinator, but I haven't gotten emails from anyone else. I would love an opportunity to chat with a faculty member or two, if they have time. 

48 minutes ago, Soc_foucault said:

Has anyone accepted at Berkeley gotten any emails from faculty or grad students there? I received my acceptance letter and info about the visit weekend from Amie Acik, their graduate coordinator, but I haven't gotten emails from anyone else. I would love an opportunity to chat with a faculty member or two, if they have time. 

I received an email from a faculty member on Monday. Not sure if she was prompted by the department, or otherwise.

Not Berkeley but I got an email from a faculty member/POI about setting up a time to talk. I feel kind of bad because my schedule is pretty limited due to work, but I did say that if they have a different availability that doesnt match mine that I can probably make it work. Does that sound ok?? I ran into the same problem when trying to schedule job interviews— the first available times I offer are around my work schedule on the off chance that it works out but I can still adapt.. anyway I feel kind of rude doing it regardless

On 2/19/2019 at 11:57 AM, SgtDonut said:

So where are we all waiting to hear back from? I've heard nothing from Harvard, UChicago, Columbia, or NYU! Expecting rejections at this point.

It's been straight up radio silence from Columbia, Princeton, NYU, and Penn for me.

I called Columbia a few days ago (I was admitted to Berkeley GSE and the only program I would probably choose over them is Columbia Sociology) and the person said "not all decisions have been sent out yet" which is annoying language bc obviously I know that....I haven't heard my decision....but like if all acceptances have been sent out, then why lead me on???

19 hours ago, hotsawce said:

Hi, long time lurker here but starting to get antsy. Any updates on UPenn admissions? There were 3 claims of acceptances, but I don't think anyone has claimed them yet on this forum. Also still waiting for Princeton and Cornell (Development Sociology), but there seem to have been no movement on that front as of yet. Anyone with info on UPenn or Cornell, I'd love to hear what intel you have :)

Hey, I was admitted to Penn last Thursday I believe. I just got the initial email from the director of graduate studies and then had an exchange with their graduate coordinator about the visit day, which is 3/19-20. They asked for us to let them know if we were attending by 3/5. So I think it's possible they haven't admitted everyone yet? Not really sure. Sorry that's not super helpful but let me know if you have any questions I might be able to answer!

How legit of a site is http://www.phdstipends.com/ ? I believe @jriveracal and @socchi92 were the ones promoting it. I'm looking at the numbers now...

A lot of it looks accurate (and the concept of it is awesome), but I find it pretty hard to believe that someone at Boulder is getting $40k per year. 

And find it especially hard to believe that Chicago is simultaneously giving different students $40k, $37k, and $28k...there's no way they have that big of a difference. 

Any insight? 

9 minutes ago, utley24 said:

How legit of a site is http://www.phdstipends.com/ ? I believe @jriveracal and @socchi92 were the ones promoting it. I'm looking at the numbers now...

A lot of it looks accurate (and the concept of it is awesome), but I find it pretty hard to believe that someone at Boulder is getting $40k per year. 

And find it especially hard to believe that Chicago is simultaneously giving different students $40k, $37k, and $28k...there's no way they have that big of a difference. 

Any insight? 

It could be that people are reporting supplementary fellowships the department nominated them for not realizing they aren't part of the standard funding package?

11 minutes ago, utley24 said:

Any insight? 

I've heard horror stories of Chicago only offering half stipends to multiple PhD students who are coming straight from undergrad. I can't speak to the veracity of the website but that at least checks out for Chicago...

15 minutes ago, queersoc said:

I've heard horror stories of Chicago only offering half stipends to multiple PhD students who are coming straight from undergrad. I can't speak to the veracity of the website but that at least checks out for Chicago...

i know this happens in other disciplines at Berkeley. My partner is in the English PhD and they know some students who have half the amount of the stipend they were allocated. Seems to be common practice in some departments. 

Edited by gradgirrrl

12 minutes ago, queersoc said:

The Chicago ones range from $25k to $40k, so I don't really think any of them would be half...but who knows. If those are accurate, I'd be floored (as much by the upper end of $37k and $40k as the huge discrepancy).

Some people on the site include summer funding and some don't. Some people have optional teaching on top of full fellowships. Some people are including health insurance or some tuition remission costs. Also make sure to check out the years, because funding varies based on year as well. Can't speak to any specific school, but that might account for some different numbers. (Of course, some people could just be making stuff up, but if I were going to troll people online one day, I'd probably pick a different website. :))

16 minutes ago, lkaitlyn said:

Some people on the site include summer funding and some don't. Some people have optional teaching on top of full fellowships. Some people are including health insurance or some tuition remission costs. Also make sure to check out the years, because funding varies based on year as well. Can't speak to any specific school, but that might account for some different numbers. (Of course, some people could just be making stuff up, but if I were going to troll people online one day, I'd probably pick a different website. :))

Have you checked out the results board recently? There's definitely still a lot of trolls around these parts...

And yeah, I figure that people are including different sources for funding. But unfortunately that somewhat defeats the purpose of the site--although it's not illegitimate, it makes it impossible to compare funding packages when you don't know what number you're looking at, since healthcare and summer funds can easily change the number by $5,000 or more.