Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

43 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

If anyone else is having a quarter-life crisis from trying to look into schools and make decisions, please PM me and let's cry together (or just share knowledge/relate to each other...that's cool too lol).

Didn't you get into Harvard? Try getting into *zero* schools and then we can talk about having a quarter-life crisis lol 

3 hours ago, utley24 said:

Didn't you get into Harvard? Try getting into *zero* schools and then we can talk about having a quarter-life crisis lol 

There are struggles at all parts of this process! Choosing where to attend can have major life-altering consequences. I feel you @jriveracal and I'm also here to commiserate with everyone after being rejected by my dream school today. 

8 minutes ago, socchi92 said:

There are struggles at all parts of this process! Choosing where to attend can have major life-altering consequences. I feel you @jriveracal and I'm also here to commiserate with everyone after being rejected by my dream school today. 

I appreciate your attempt to be diplomatic, but on a thread like this with so many people dealing with rejection and their dreams crumbling, to randomly post about having a quarter-life crisis and crying over a decision about which elite school to go to is annoying at best and callous at worst. 

30 minutes ago, utley24 said:

I appreciate your attempt to be diplomatic, but on a thread like this with so many people dealing with rejection and their dreams crumbling, to randomly post about having a quarter-life crisis and crying over a decision about which elite school to go to is annoying at best and callous at worst. 

I understand that this is a stressful and trying time, but going on the offensive in a community intended for support throughout this process doesn't really help anybody. 

1 hour ago, Miners Canary said:

I'm with you, friend. Applied to 7 schools, rejected from 3, feeling like I'm expecting 4 more rejections this week or next. See y'all next year!

Yeah. Everyone’s like “there’s still a chance!” For the schools that haven’t notified me, but I’m also realistic that most of those schools have already accepted who they’re going to accept. I’m waiting on 6. Only one of which hasn’t released ANY decisions yet. 

1 hour ago, sociopolitic said:

I understand that this is a stressful and trying time, but going on the offensive in a community intended for support throughout this process doesn't really help anybody. 

Definitely not on the offensive (my original comment was intended to be light and half-joking), just voicing an opinion that, based on the number of likes it's gotten, is shared by many others here. Just think everyone needs to keep in mind how many people are coming to this forum with a lot of anxiety, disappointment, and rejection in tow.  

Edited by utley24

1 hour ago, utley24 said:

Definitely not on the offensive (my original comment was intended to be light and half-joking), just voicing an opinion that, based on the number of likes it's gotten, is shared by many others here. Just think everyone needs to keep in mind how many people are coming to this forum with a lot of anxiety, disappointment, and rejection in tow.  

Agree. Just let's be respectful and thoughtful for everyone-- those who are not admitted yet and having to go through all the process, too. Yeah, congrats for the admitted, however, there are for sure more people who are dealing with rejections, as well. Why is this "offensive?" This person(@uteley24) just asked people to be more thoughtful about others who are not in the same situation. I cannot see any problem. 

Can we stop belaboring this already? This time is stressful for absolutely everybody, regardless of how many/which programs you get into. This thread is for everyone who is going through this to find some kind of support, if they're looking for it. It's for everyone. No matter where you did or didn't get in. 

Being harsh with others on this forum for seeking support (which is what I meant by going on the offensive) hardly does anyone any good. I know that @utley24thinks so too, considering I remember seeing him/her admonish a poster for exactly that about a week ago. So let's stop trying to decide who's allowed to be stressed out in this thread. Especially when they're merely asking for people to converse via with PM. She didn't even mention the schools she's deciding between. 

Edited by sociopolitic

37 minutes ago, tobe_newbee said:

Agree. Just let's be respectful and thoughtful for everyone-- those who are not admitted yet and having to go through all the process, too. Yeah, congrats for the admitted, however, there are for sure more people who are dealing with rejections, as well. Why is this "offensive?" This person(@uteley24) just asked people to be more thoughtful about others who are not in the same situation. I cannot see any problem. 

So people who have acceptances are not allowed to mention their stress or worry? I understand where you're coming from but that seems unfair. 

1 minute ago, socchi92 said:

So people who have acceptances are not allowed to mention their stress or worry? I understand where you're coming from but that seems unfair. 

Agreed. Certainly, everyone should be considerate of one another, but it's not as though anyone in this thread is gloating. Everyone is stressed. This time is hard for everyone. 

1 hour ago, sociopolitic said:

Agreed. Certainly, everyone should be considerate of one another, but it's not as though anyone in this thread is gloating. Everyone is stressed. This time is hard for everyone. 

I agree but to be fair you compared it to a quarter life crisis. Usually when people say life crisis its referring to paralysis and stagnation. Maybe also self destructive behavior. While I'm sure its paralyzing and stressful to have a lot of good options it's clear why it might be seen as jarring by some to use that terminology for when your life is clearly moving forward in a pretty obvious general direction and things are going well but you're just stressed out. If I saw someone using that phrase I would assume they have few to no options or they do have options but don't really know what they're doing in life in a much deeper sense than "I don't know if I should go to Harvard or XYZ"

Sorry for cutting off the discussion but I have several issues to ask (or discuss) here, and I hope who are still in the "result-waiting" process but not the "result-picking" process can discuss with me about the following questions regarding three schools that I am really like but still keeping silent to me:

1 ) I've seen a UC San Diego rejection on the board, but I still haven't heard anything from them (so I might assume that I am rejected by them). Could anyone please claim the rejection (or share some information about this school) and indicate how would they inform us about the decisions? 

2 ) (haha I am a super fan of UVA lmao) I assume UVA conducts interviews every year, but I still haven't got any feedback from them (but now the end of the Feb is coming...!!!). Have anyone heard from them? If yes, could you please inform us via the result board or via this thread? It would also be great to let me know I've already been rejected by them in advance in this way. Or, if none of us have heard from UVA until now, I think I will write to them soon to know a bit more about their progress. I know I may get a rejection signal in advance but I am ready to face it! 

3 ) If anyone has any ideas about UC Davis's status and "decision-informing" styles (e.g. normally when will they release rejections, how do they deal with waitlists),  could you please share that with me?

PS: Congratulations to all the applicants who have got their dream schools' offers. I really hope I can also have such life experience several weeks later!

Edit: I forgot to thank you all in advance!! Sorry!!

Edited by SocFresh
Forgot to thank other users

4 hours ago, markhame said:

I agree but to be fair you compared it to a quarter life crisis. Usually when people say life crisis its referring to paralysis and stagnation. Maybe also self destructive behavior. While I'm sure its paralyzing and stressful to have a lot of good options it's clear why it might be seen as jarring by some to use that terminology for when your life is clearly moving forward in a pretty obvious general direction and things are going well but you're just stressed out. If I saw someone using that phrase I would assume they have few to no options or they do have options but don't really know what they're doing in life in a much deeper sense than "I don't know if I should go to Harvard or XYZ"

Cannot agree more.

Oh my... the in-house fighting! Lets blame the Universities making us wait, allowing us to grow more and more anxious each day, turning against each other in the end. "The chaos." I do want to say as an all the time middleman/Switzerland that I am over-the-moon for those who are riding that wave of acceptance. And finding it hard, almost paralyzing to think about navigating the next steps, the overall challenge of your program, expectations and so forth. The stress involved, I'm sure, is not to be underestimated. A lot of us aren't there however, some of us won't ever get there, so of course I think it's important to be so mindful of our woes.

I don't know about everyone else but I feel like an exposed nerve! 

I mean, raise your hand if at bare minimum your skin isn't changing colors! *This is how I end all my fights since being diagnosed with vitiligo... : )

You're all sociologists/social scientists-- get out of your own head. She is a non-traditional student who is about to move her and her kids across the country. She's allowed the stress. 

Congrats to all of those who have gotten acceptances these last few days, and to those who haven't, continued luck and strength ❤️ 

10 minutes ago, socquant said:

You're all sociologists/social scientists-- get out of your own head. She is a non-traditional student who is about to move her and her kids across the country. She's allowed the stress. 

Congrats to all of those who have gotten acceptances these last few days, and to those who haven't, continued luck and strength ❤️ 

Haha, I'm certainly not a sociologist--just an office drone sitting on a pile of PhD rejections, with dreams of becoming a sociologist one day. Thanks for rubbing it in though.

Y'all really need to check yourselves and be more careful with your words. 

2 minutes ago, utley24 said:

Haha, I'm certainly not a sociologist--just an office drone sitting on a pile of PhD rejections, with dreams of becoming a sociologist one day. Thanks for rubbing it in though.

Y'all really need to check yourselves and be more careful with your words. 

At this point, it really seems as though you're looking for reasons to get angry with people's comments. This thread is not supposed to be the locus of conflict, although you seem intent on making it such. Can we go back to, y'know, being friendly and helpful? We're rapidly approaching the point of toxicity here.