Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

3 minutes ago, Derriduh said:

I grew up in a rural community. Farming is quite fine work. 

I "think" it's an insult because of the obviously insulting way that socionootz deployed the term. 

Sorry I get confused with these exchanges. 

Socionut it just came off as dumb.

you guys really can stop now!

@socionut

@Derriduh

Nobody cares about your opinions. You're both highly toxic.

Please just PM each other, and leave the forum.

Oh also, I reported you guys to the mods too.

I doubt these two will stop so I think it would be good if some other people did as well, but I get it if you want to stay out of it.

2 minutes ago, bandanajack said:

@socionut

@Derriduh

I doubt these two will stop so I think it would be good if some other people did as well, but I get it if you want to stay out of it.

I grew up near a nuclear waste facility, so I find your chemical prejudice quite offensive. 

Kidding! I'm kidding. 

I agree. It's out of hand. I'll stop. 

36 minutes ago, bandanajack said:

@socionut

@Derriduh

i'm done, and i apologize for contributing to the toxicity. i hope it's as clear to you as it is to me that @Derriduh is a seasoned troll, and he's clearly been baiting me. unfortunately for this forum, I took the bait (I do sincerely apologize -- I needed to blow off some steam, and @Derriduh is as deserving a target as I could wish for (i mean seriously. he posted today JUST to start a pity party for himself, and to call me too immature for the workplace)). I'm done, I promise! like i said, the real douchebags posting in this thread are the ones who won't apologize. i'm not one of them, i swear. it's just been a tough week. 

sorry for derailing this thread for the sake of my emotional catharsis! and sorry for contributing to today's toxicity.

Edited by socionut

I come here to read about the progress of applications, information of fundings, how prospective students and admits decide colleges, how rejected students cope and apply again. In a way I come here with an assumption that this is not facebook or twitter but a forum for emerging social scientists to exchange information and engage in a dialogue. Its disheartening to see quarrels and fights. I am sure both of you have different views on the issue and all the right to express yourself. But for the sake of others and myself as well  it would be my sincere request to use personal messages for such an exchange. Lets us not use the affordance of anonymity in employing vulgarity and personal comments.

Edited by DuBois

4 hours ago, jriveracal said:

I genuinely never meant to upset anyone and I sincerely apologize that I did. 

For what it's worth, I'm not having a quarter-life crisis because I "don't know if I should go to Harvard or XYZ". Rather, I am honestly feeling a lot of sadness and anxiety in trying to navigate what the most feasible option is for myself as a mother with two children. I am finding that the institutional supports for low-income student parents at many of these institutions is simply non-existant. It's not like I'm expecting luxury, but things like having an institution willing to cover my children's healthcare for less than 6k a year would be cool...Maybe subsidies to help with the $2600/month childcare tuition...

All of this has really got me thinking a lot about how low-income and self-supported mothers and WoC are undervalued and are not seen as a priority to support in virtually every sect of society...even at these "world-class" institutions...It has me thinking about how resources are allocated within universities...and how in their choice to not invest in support policies and programs for disenfranchised students, institutions are able to silently weed out the "undeserving",  effectively reproducing their privilege. 

I'm sure that some will read this and think OH BOO-HOO and not understand, but it's a pretty upsetting process to have all of these doors slapping me in the face after what for most would seem to be a done deal. I was just hoping to find someone who is also experiencing worry or disappointment to talk with. Although we are strangers I have really come to value and appreciate all of you and would never intentionally want to hurt anyone.

This happened during my undergrad process. I was, for the first time in my life, someone other people wanted. I was noticed. I was accepted everywhere! The complete joy I felt I have yet to feel again, but surprisingly what came after I wasn’t prepared for. I couldn’t afford to go anywhere! I didnt have the parents or the no-how to figure out finances, loans etc as I was already working like a dog to save money... but nothing was ever enough. I hear what you’re saying overall and can’t imagine the struggle with a whole family in tow! But my god, like I had mentioned before, I can’t imagine the roadblocks, the potential near miss of it all is defeating in a way most wouldn’t expect. There is “life after an acceptance.”

If you do decide on Harvard and want some advice I may be able to hook you up with my cousin (also a mom) who runs a lab there. Just as a potential resource who knows her way around Boston! 

14 minutes ago, Derriduh said:

Truer words were never spoken. 

Is it too soon to point out that this makes no sense? It's almost like "I know you are but what am I?" except it doesn't mean that even a little bit. 

Anyway, cut it out y'all. This site (and the field) is (are) better off without trolls. 

6 minutes ago, gradgirrrl said:

Does anyone have any Yale intel? I know I keep asking I'm just perplexed it's taken this long to hear anything and it's one of my top choices...

No :( I've been thinking of emailing my POI, but I also don't want to be that person... I was told we'd hear at the end of last week! *Shrugs* 

Edited by NReken

6 hours ago, jriveracal said:

I genuinely never meant to upset anyone and I sincerely apologize that I did. 

For what it's worth, I'm not having a quarter-life crisis because I "don't know if I should go to Harvard or XYZ". Rather, I am honestly feeling a lot of sadness and anxiety in trying to navigate what the most feasible option is for myself as a mother with two children. I am finding that the institutional supports for low-income student parents at many of these institutions is simply non-existant. It's not like I'm expecting luxury, but things like having an institution willing to cover my children's healthcare for less than 6k a year would be cool...Maybe subsidies to help with the $2600/month childcare tuition...

All of this has really got me thinking a lot about how low-income and self-supported mothers and WoC are undervalued and are not seen as a priority to support in virtually every sect of society...even at these "world-class" institutions...It has me thinking about how resources are allocated within universities...and how in their choice to not invest in support policies and programs for disenfranchised students, institutions are able to silently weed out the "undeserving",  effectively reproducing their privilege. 

I'm sure that some will read this and think OH BOO-HOO and not understand, but it's a pretty upsetting process to have all of these doors slapping me in the face after what for most would seem to be a done deal. I was just hoping to find someone who is also experiencing worry or disappointment to talk with. Although we are strangers I have really come to value and appreciate all of you and would never intentionally want to hurt anyone.

I too am a mom to two little children. I've got a few acceptances to schools, one would move me across the country but also pay me fairly well. I love the program, I want to attend. But I am also feeling sadness and anxiety over my decisions. Where I am now, in a MS program, is in my hometown, with two sets of supportive grandparents that are a huge help. Moving away from this support network, having to hope my husband gets a good enough job to cover childcare, is incredibly stressful. My other school option is in Canada, and much closer to home. But it comes with its own challenges - visas, work permits, travel restrictions...its just very stressful. Even when schools do provide subsidized childcare, the waitlists can mean you have to find some other place, and those other places have waitlists too. None of this is easy. Your analysis of the disenfranchisement of parent students is spot on. So here's some support, from one mom to another. This shit is tough.

1 hour ago, gradgirrrl said:

Does anyone have any Yale intel? I know I keep asking I'm just perplexed it's taken this long to hear anything and it's one of my top choices...

I applied to the combined African American/Sociology program and I heard end of next week! 

2 hours ago, gradgirrrl said:

During the interview last week, I asked my POI and he said near the beginning of March. So maybe  they will let us know by the end of next week or early the week after.

Even with that information, I have been religiously checking my inbox, this forum, and the results page hoping that they would send results out earlier.

21 minutes ago, ReallyCritical said:

During the interview last week, I asked my POI and he said near the beginning of March. So maybe  they will let us know by the end of next week or early the week after.

Even with that information, I have been religiously checking my inbox, this forum, and the results page hoping that they would send results out earlier.

thank you for the info! this at least helps me relax ( a little ) until end of next week. and same here! solidarity ❤️ 

12 hours ago, ALieNNatioN said:

@tobe_newbee@SocFreshI posted the UCSD rejection. It was a generic email from DGS in midnight (it was a weird time to send an email, so maybe they're still deciding the waitlist?) Good luck to you both!

BTW, I received rejection emails in three subsequent days, so I feel you all. I thought I would be okay after thinking over the worst circumstances at the beginning of this week, but it was still hard to deal with this. I am always unconfident about myself and this whole process exacerbates my self-recognition. 

Thank you so much for your information!! Yes, I also received several rejs this week (I was also in the red waves posted this week lol)...as an international student, I am afraid my GRE and TOEFL hurt my applications severely (Especially, I think a decent TOEFL score should be what the public schools, such as UCs, want to see ?)

Hope all of us can find a good position and start our new lives in graduate schools!! 

14 hours ago, tobe_newbee said:

Hi, friend... I'm also waiting for USSD and UVA and didn't receive any of them yet.. Personally, I'm curious if USSD actually sent out all of their decision letters (including rejection), cause there was only ONE rejection posting in result page... and it doesn't seem to make sense to me. Of course, well, it would be still possible only one of them posted there. I feel you. Getting used to being rejected is so sad.. :(

I think we might still have hope!! But I am also ready to face the rejection from the wonderful La Jolla.... (Hug)(Hug)(Hug)

3 hours ago, SocFresh said:

Thank you so much for your information!! Yes, I also received several rejs this week (I was also in the red waves posted this week lol)...as an international student, I am afraid my GRE and TOEFL hurt my applications severely (Especially, I think a decent TOEFL score should be what the public schools, such as UCs, want to see ?)

Hope all of us can find a good position and start our new lives in graduate schools!! 

Hug* I'm an international student too and I didn't have time to get a better TOEFL either. For UCs, I've heard that UCI doesn't like international students because of a lack of funding while UCSD usually takes several international students. Hope we can all find the place worthy of our hard work and waits!

15 hours ago, tobe_newbee said:

Ahhh... I am sorry to hear that and thank you for informing us. Even I am still waiting for their (hopefully positive) decision, I decided not to expect too much because it is too painful to receive bad news, I mean, repeatedly. And same here, this process is really getting me lost my confidence. 

Hug hug* It is definitely a hard time for us. Hope we will eventually find the right place despite all these struggles!

On 2/22/2019 at 4:36 PM, CalState said:

Has anybody heard from Brandeis, Riverside, USC, or UCSD?

UC Riverside, UCSD, and USC sent theirs out already. I think everyone is still waiting on Brandeis.

Confession: I only applied to Brandeis because they waived the application fee! I feel better for getting that off my chest. 

10 hours ago, Dorkface said:

Has anyone been waitlisted for UC Irvine? 

I emailed UC Irvine admission office last week asking about their decisions. The DGS told me that it is not clear at this point if there will be subsequent offers made or when that might occur. I think for all of us not having received UC Irvine decisions, there may still be chances (or just silent rejections in the end).