Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

20 minutes ago, sociology999 said:

yup! hoping it works out ! I assume they wouldn't tell us over the weekend either? So maybe monday...

Last night I got the UW acceptance around 9pm! Now I can be stressed all day AND all night until this process is over with 

did anyone else apply to UIC? i got a weird email from the admissions office basically telling me about what UIC "has to offer," but nothing about my application status. 

4 hours ago, kkr_soc said:

Congrats!!!! UCLA is an outstanding school to have been accepted to at all and especially as you wait for other admissions decisions. What made you think you wouldn’t get accepted?

I thought I wouldn’t be accepted because my GPA is a mixed bag, although I have a somewhat interesting profile in other respects I won’t elaborate on now. I was a math major, and my in-major GPA is only about 3.1, because it was very very difficult for me (I grew up primarily doing social studies and art). I only applied to T10 programs largely because a lot of the strongest economic sociology programs happen to be T10, and some of the other programs I looked at that weren’t T10 really didn’t overlap with my interests.

in short, as of late I was very worried I wouldn’t get in anywhere, because I’m sure there are a lot of unique candidates, both with good and bad GPAs, and I didn’t apply to a wide range of schools.

1 hour ago, gradgirrrl said:

HI ALL! huge congrats to all those who have successfully gotten in somewhere! Having a terrible time over here regretting not re-taking the GRE  even though everywhere except UCLA that I applied hasn't released acceptances yet. Was hoping we'd hear from Berkeley yesterday but I guess not!

I definitely feel you @gradgirrrl. I also knew my GRE scores weren't **great** but thought they were okay, until I came on this forum and realised the types of scores people are actually getting. I feel like the scores websites online (and the universities themselves) publish as the average admitted scores are a lot lower than reality. 

17 hours ago, socchi92 said:

Last night I got the UW acceptance around 9pm! Now I can be stressed all day AND all night until this process is over with 

Congrats!!! that's huge. haha yeah, gotta take into account the timezones too! UW (if you mean UWashington) is 3 hours behind central time i think? 

Edited by sociology999

21 hours ago, jriveracal said:

Congratulations! You're killing this cycle!

This is great news for the rest of us that have applied to the same schools! socchi92 cannot possibly accept ALL of them! Maybe we'll get an offer once socchi92 declines some offers! lolololol:D

Congrats socchi92! I'm so jelly!

2 hours ago, sociology999 said:

Congrats!!! that's huge. haha yeah, gotta take into account the timezones too! UW (if you mean UWashington) is 3 hours behind central time i think? 

Yes, and I've been noticing the west coast schools are notifying pretty late in the day. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Dorkface said:

This is great news for the rest of us that have applied to the same schools! socchi92 cannot possibly accept ALL of them! Maybe we'll get an offer once socchi92 declines some offers! lolololol:D

Congrats socchi92! I'm so jelly!

There are sooooooo many more offers to come! It's not even Feb yet!!! 

15 minutes ago, jriveracal said:

Does anyone know how much validity there is to the whole "the institution you went to for undergrad will probably not accept you for graduate studies" thing is?

Currently in a PhD program. I, along with 2 of my classmates, all went to the same institution for undergrad.

11 minutes ago, csot said:

Currently in a PhD program. I, along with 2 of my classmates, all went to the same institution for undergrad.

When I was obsessively checking current graduate students' undergraduate institutions (to see where mine might fit in), I saw quite a few people that went to the same school for undergrad and grad. 

I checked the graduate student profiles of my undergrad school. Most of them did not state where they went to undergrad...just listed basic interests. Of those that did list on their profile, 4/29 of them did go to my undergrad institution before joining the same school as a graduate student. Though only 2 of these people majored in sociology and then entered the same sociology program as a grad student. The other two majored in other things then joined the same school's sociology Ph.D program. Interesting.

I was reallyyyyy hoping for a shot at getting into my undergrad school for graduate school, but apparently one of their current students literally went to the same undergrad as me, and even the same community college as me. She was just accepted last year. Fuck me, right? lol There goes that ship.

8 hours ago, jriveracal said:

I checked the graduate student profiles of my undergrad school. Most of them did not state where they went to undergrad...just listed basic interests. Of those that did list on their profile, 4/29 of them did go to my undergrad institution before joining the same school as a graduate student. Though only 2 of these people majored in sociology and then entered the same sociology program as a grad student. The other two majored in other things then joined the same school's sociology Ph.D program. Interesting.

I was reallyyyyy hoping for a shot at getting into my undergrad school for graduate school, but apparently one of their current students literally went to the same undergrad as me, and even the same community college as me. She was just accepted last year. Fuck me, right? lol There goes that ship.

You NEVER know!!! It could happen!

19 hours ago, jriveracal said:

I literally cannot imagine that would be considered as a factor if they wanted you... graduate programs are far more about fit and academic potential to contribute to the field meaningfully than they are about where you went to undergraduate, no?

Edited by gradgirrrl

On 1/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, gradgirrrl said:

Did anyone else get that email from Yale office of diversity and almost poop themselves? Can't tell if they sent this to all applicants or only those that are "diverse" (i'm latina). 

LOL yes i recieved that email and was so nervous when i went to open it since i thought it was a decision email. I'm african american so i'm not sure if thats why i received an email or if they sent it out to everyone who has attended one of their past webinar sessions

On 1/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, decolonizingdescendent said:

If you are a person of color or international student-- do NOT attend Syracuse University for sociology. I urge you not to be fooled by the Maxwell moniker and its neoliberal nods to citizenship. The department is getting flack for being racist because it is. The continual silencing of POC's in the department is not only antithetical to sociology, but is also just very negatively impactful to grad students' lives. Multiple chairs have been complicit in forms of suppression, and one the former director of graduate studies is a horrid racist who has repeatedly targeted students of color in classes and the dept at large.  I will say there are a few faculty that can be allies and support, but they come few and far between and are outnumbered. The department does not care for activism and will try their damndest to weed out "troublemakers" and frame students as "good and productive" or "bad and unfit." On the level of scholarship, there's a lot to be admired and critiqued. But on the ground in the everyday operations, the connections between theory and practice are nonexistent. Would say it's laughable if it wasn't so violent and traumatic.

If you do decide to go, read your contract to ensure how much funding you are actually getting-- this has been a huge problem in the past and I hope it's resolved now.

Side note: for folks who have been accepted to any PhD programs. Congratulations!!! It can be an isolating experience for a number of reasons, esp for folks of marginalized identities. I truly hope that you are able to carve out a space for yourself in ways that are productive to your personal growth and happiness. If you are waiting still, fingers crossed. And those receiving rejections-- I am sorry. Keep your head up. It is a part of the process and speaks nothing to your capabilities and competencies. Get a feel for the fit of the depts you are looking at to see if they support you, your intellectual work, and your politics. 

just want to keep people informed as the decision letters come in.

I want to emphasize the sentiments of this post! DO NOT BE FOOLED BY ANY “DIVERSITY” and “INCLUSION” RHETORIC COMING FROM THIS DEPTARTMENT. The sociology department at Syracuse University is racist. It also *highly* discourages and minziminzes activist scholars. As a whole the department is afraid of being critiqued and is violently opposed to those seeking to create meaningful, tangible change- particularly in regards to race. While this program may admit POC, it does a HORRENDOUS job of supporting them. Retention rates for students of color in this program are ABYSMAL (particularly within the past few years).

This department epitomizes the neoliberal white woman. It functions with her mind, basis decisions off her values, gives kindness to those who follow suit whilst strictly/passively punishing those who disrupt, and vehemently denies such thoughts and actions when confronted.

To be clear and as stated above, there are a few faculty members and colleagues that are allies and give genuine support. However, the department as a whole is toxic.

If you have plans to work with the Women and Gender Studies program at Syracuse University, know that such plans are greatly discouraged by the leadership within the sociology department. HOWEVER. Do NOT let this deter you from building relationships with WGS faulty and students. The WGS department can provide spaces that you will not find in the sociology program, spaces where students of color are centered. Not all WGS spaces will provide this, but the opportunity exists.

If you are are person of color and you decide to attend the sociology program at Syracuse University, go in informed, know/own/live why you are there, and be mindful of what that place may take from you mentally/emotionally/physically. Center yourself. Build your own community. And more power to you.