Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

8 minutes ago, mighettio said:

Have any american students that applied to rutgers heard anything yet? I know a few international students have been contacted for interviews but otherwise it seems like nothing has been released! 

I am one of those international students. Still waiting. No news yet.

21 minutes ago, King Sahl Sociology said:

Alright so long time lurker for sure, and finally just accepted that posting here wont change my rejections lol. Anyone else almost physically sick regarding Berkeley today??? Anyone want to call and figure out what the deal is lol???? 

Berkeley is my top choice. I'm so anxious. 

2 hours ago, mighettio said:

Have any american students that applied to rutgers heard anything yet? I know a few international students have been contacted for interviews but otherwise it seems like nothing has been released!

They're calling students on their long list this week to go over funding options and answer any questions about the program. On Friday they will decide which students to offer funding to. Decisions should be coming in the next couple of weeks. 

Edited by SeijiAmasawyeah

Could any one help me please?? I am very stressed. I have applied for a PhD in January 3rd deadline, but have not received any email regarding Cambridge Gate and Trust scholarships and interview. Does anyone know when the interview invitations will be emailed? Or have the emails already been sent to people who have been selected for an interview? 

Edited by Aili
Wrong concept

8 minutes ago, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

They're calling students on their long list this week to go over funding options and answer any questions about the program. On Friday they will decide which students to offer funding to. Decisions should be coming in the next couple of weeks. 

How did you learn this? And what is "long list"?

Edited by Sercan_

2 minutes ago, Sercan_ said:

How did you learn this? 

I'm one of the students on their long list. Got an email last week asking if I could skype in to discuss the program, had my skype meeting today. 

From what I understand when they say "long list" they mean long, and a few faculty are responsible for touching base with few students each, so there could be delays in the timing for other people's emails and calls. 

Edited by SeijiAmasawyeah

5 minutes ago, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

I'm one of the students on their long list. Got an email last week asking if I could skype in to discuss the program, had my skype meeting today. 

I also had a skype interview with one faculty ten days ago.

Edited by Sercan_

Hi all, I'm an international student, so not so familiar with funding in the USA, but was lucky enough to be contacted by my POI today from Berkeley saying that I'd be accepted. Do you think people contacted today would have a good chance of funding, or should we hold off getting too excited/ drunk? Are they likely to offer places to people without funding?

1 minute ago, Sercan_ said:

I also had a skype interview with one faculty ten days ago. But I really did not undeerstand what long list is :)

Ah. I was told that basically everyone on the long list is a great fit for the program and meets the criteria for admission, but that they obviously will not all be funded. I assume funding decisions will come down to how snug a fit each person is, how many potential faculty they could work with, how stellar their research experience is, etc. Honestly I was surprised they asked us to skype before the list had been narrowed more, but I'll take what I can get at this point. 

Just now, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

Ah. I was told that basically everyone on the long list is a great fit for the program and meets the criteria for admission, but that they obviously will not all be funded. I assume funding decisions will come down to how snug a fit each person is, how many potential faculty they could work with, how stellar their research experience is, etc. Honestly I was surprised they asked us to skype before the list had been narrowed more, but I'll take what I can get at this point. 

Thank you for clarification. They did not talked about funding options in my interview. One of my friends also was interviewed by the same faculty and neither she was explained about the funding. When I said I have been awarded Fulbright scholarship, he was glad about it. But I thought they would announce the decisions this week because last year they announced the decisions on 28 Jan.

11 minutes ago, KLMN0701 said:

Hi all, I'm an international student, so not so familiar with funding in the USA, but was lucky enough to be contacted by my POI today from Berkeley saying that I'd be accepted. Do you think people contacted today would have a good chance of funding, or should we hold off getting too excited/ drunk? Are they likely to offer places to people without funding?

I don't think that Berkeley admits students that it won't be able to fund. Congratulations!!!!

1 minute ago, Sercan_ said:

Thank you for clarification. They did not talked about funding options in my interview. One of my friends also was interviewed by the same faculty and neither she was explained about the funding. When I said I have been awarded Fulbright scholarship, he was glad about it. But I thought they would announce the decisions this week because last year they announced the decisions on 28 Jan.

Fingers crossed for us both. Hopefully we will hear sooner rather than later. 

5 minutes ago, sociopolitic said:

I don't think that Berkeley admits students that it won't be able to fund. Congratulations!!!!

Thank you @sociopolitic, tbh I've already had a few drinks and was a bit worried I'd celebrated too early! Congratulations to you also on your acceptances, your research sounds so fascinating!

13 minutes ago, KLMN0701 said:

Thank you @sociopolitic, tbh I've already had a few drinks and was a bit worried I'd celebrated too early! Congratulations to you also on your acceptances, your research sounds so fascinating!

I'd be in the same boat if I were you, haha! I think you can celebrate in peace, though. As far as I know, pretty much all schools in the top 20ish guarantee all admits funding if they attend. 

And thanks! What are your research interests?

1 hour ago, SeijiAmasawyeah said:

From what I understand when they say "long list" they mean long, and a few faculty are responsible for touching base with few students each, so there could be delays in the timing for other people's emails and calls. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you getting funding!!! I'm gonna be pessimistic and assume that if I haven't been contacted yet it's probably a no, that way I don't set myself up for further disappointment lol

21 minutes ago, mighettio said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you getting funding!!! I'm gonna be pessimistic and assume that if I haven't been contacted yet it's probably a no, that way I don't set myself up for further disappointment lol

Thank you. I hope we all get into our dream schools.