MIT Mechancial Engineering SM

Kingoflimbs

34 minutes ago, Kingoflimbs said:

me too. I think it's safe to say if we haven't heard anything within 2 weeks, then it's a rejection

Yeah, you are right. Have you seen these charts by any chance? Some guy has collected data  from gradcafe over 5 years to make these plots https://imgur.com/a/UIYnF

15 minutes ago, Maverick1 said:

n fact, I stated SM as the final objective in the application form, but in my statement of objectives, I mentioned I will be actively considering continuing onto a PhD in MIT if i do find the right opportunity there.

It's good to be so open-minded! I guess if the right opportunity comes, PhD is always an option. 

11 minutes ago, blahblah_girl said:

Yeah, you are right. Have you seen these charts by any chance? Some guy has collected data  from gradcafe over 5 years to make these plots https://imgur.com/a/UIYnF

Here's a more interactive website someone created for this purpose. You can also sort by each department and by year/ period or degree: https://fretpwner.shinyapps.io/GradCafeStatistics/

2 minutes ago, Kingoflimbs said:

Here's a more interactive website someone created for this purpose. You can also sort by each department and by year/ period or degree: https://fretpwner.shinyapps.io/GradCafeStatistics/

looking at the website app again, aggregating over the past six years, it's surprising that someone was admitted with a 149 quant GRE. I really don't know whether to believe that stat haha. 149! 

3 minutes ago, Kingoflimbs said:

looking at the website app again, aggregating over the past six years, it's surprising that someone was admitted with a 149 quant GRE. I really don't know whether to believe that stat haha. 149! 

I feel like some people mess up the order at which they publish their Verbal/Quant results. So most likely it's their verbal score, I think.

7 minutes ago, Kingoflimbs said:

That's a great website, thank you for the link!
Edited by blahblah_girl
didn't finish typing

1 minute ago, blahblah_girl said:

Another was posted today for what seems like normal(not Meng) Masters.

It's sad to see admits on the results page but nothing in your inbox haha. 

exactly lol, very defeating. we have one more week to go. I think admits would stop around March 5 (very early march)...after which it's gonna be a rejection spree. I need me a MIT notification within the next week! 

11 minutes ago, Kingoflimbs said:

exactly lol, very defeating. we have one more week to go. I think admits would stop around March 5 (very early march)...after which it's gonna be a rejection spree. I need me a MIT notification within the next week! 

I hope you get that "congratulations"-titled email really soon!!!

I don't really "need" an admit, as I would probably enjoy more free time at a less rigorous program, but I want to get some news asap to just stop worrying! 

6 minutes ago, Irishguy said:

Do you think they are sending out offers in waves, or literally one at a time? With all the admits today, I assume this means we are not in the first wave and will be waiting at least another 2 weeks before we know? ?

That's an excellent question, I have absolutely no idea! In the past, it does look like there were 2 waves, but maybe each wave lasts more than just a few hours and there is still a chance that some emails haven't been sent? 

2 minutes ago, blahblah_girl said:

That's an excellent question, I have absolutely no idea! In the past, it does look like there were 2 waves, but maybe each wave lasts more than just a few hours and there is still a chance that some emails haven't been sent? 

Class, I'll see you in MIT so? hahaha

5 minutes ago, blahblah_girl said:

@Irishguy:

Last year the big wave came in what will be in about a week time with right now being a small wave of admits. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 13.12.16.png

Edited by blahblah_girl

Just now, blahblah_girl said:

Last year the big wave came in what will be in about a week time with right now being a small wave of admits. 

Thanks for sharing!! I'd say my chances are very small in any case. I have 4.0 GPA, scholarships, engineering awards, BUT no publications ? ....and I applied for the PhD (apparently you can't apply for the masters when already enrolled in one)

52 minutes ago, Irishguy said:

Thanks for sharing!! I'd say my chances are very small in any case. I have 4.0 GPA, scholarships, engineering awards, BUT no publications ? ....and I applied for the PhD (apparently you can't apply for the masters when already enrolled in one)

I have friends who got into MIT previously without publications, so it's no killer. You are a top applicant with your GPA and awards if top notch. I have a much lesser GPA lol.

3 hours ago, blahblah_girl said:

I hope you get that "congratulations"-titled email really soon!!!

I don't really "need" an admit, as I would probably enjoy more free time at a less rigorous program, but I want to get some news asap to just stop worrying! 

Thanks, I really hope. an admit at my top dream choice would really mean a lot at this stage in my life lol.

1 hour ago, Irishguy said:

You have really good stats so you will stand a good chance. But as you might know, even top students with top journal pubs also got rejected before. Weird but true...

1 hour ago, blahblah_girl said:

@Irishguy:

I sure hope we will be in the next wave! I have been checking my email the first thing in the morning and then leaving disappointed ?. It really feels like my life force is draining away and only a third is left after all these waiting and radio silence.

19 hours ago, Maverick1 said:

How are things going for you guys? Any admits?

nothing yet. There's  a funny argument on the results page though lol. That aside, I think there would be one more wave of admits in very early march. Fingers crossed

On 2/22/2019 at 7:53 PM, Maverick1 said:

How are things going for you guys? Any admits?

nothing for me either.

7 hours ago, Kingoflimbs said:

nothing yet. There's  a funny argument on the results page though lol. That aside, I think there would be one more wave of admits in very early march. Fingers crossed

The results posts are hilarious! I wish they would not argue about it on the results page, though, but here. 

1 hour ago, Maverick1 said:

Haha true...but everyone who didn't receive an email is feeling antsy.

Guess all we can do is just to pray for some miracle...

Yh. I need a miracle at this point. March 1 to 4 would be decisive 

18 minutes ago, rohan5141 said:

With a GPA of 7.75 out of 10, I'm only waiting for rejection now. Sad part is that the more they delay, the more I think and the anxiety of not knowing kicks in. I'm sure most of us feel this way.

Admissions can be weird - I have no clue how much they weigh GPA vs other things. 

Fingers crossed that we will soon be spared from all our worries :)