NELC / Near Eastern Studies Fall 2019

Haykel.

I think that they usually cut the interviews down to 1/3rd of applicants but it may be that an abnormal amount of people applied. I'm kind of anxious about the prospect of a harrowing interview, but it makes sense: we're a bunch of qualified nerds but the school is tiny. I'm sure they'd love to have a lot of us but just don't have resources.

IsA indeed!

I had contact with him through work and found him to be super nice. The POI I contacted also was super nice and in general I love all their bios on the website. Some of them are at times hilarious as are the instructions to the fact sheet (“Some applicants expect us to be flattered if they apply only to Princeton; in fact it makes us uneasy. It is much better for you to spread your risk. Even if you have set your heart on coming to Princeton, you should at least apply to Harvard as a safe school.”) and parts of their prospective students page (“The Department does not actively prevent a student living the life of a recluse, but it offers numerous alternatives [...].”)

I think I’d love that environment ?

I have an interview on Tuesday for a school here (not US). So at least I would already have gone through one harrowing interview. 

I think I'm just happy to know that I'm not an immediate rejection. Maybe it means I have a good shot down the line even if I don't get into any PhD programs and go with an MA.

I feel like I'm on the periphery of having good and excellent credentials and to be a contender for top programs, but it feels like everyone I'm applying with to these programs has perfect 4.0s, GREs, and could speak ten languages from birth AND is/was a president of a small country. And I'm just here like "I'm kinda smart, I think."

@samaasl, no, did you? I assume it may take a day or two unless you heard back. 

If invited go out today it’ll likely be later tonight as I imagine their meeting is when all on the adcom is available. But, things can always take a day or two to go through the department or make proper arrangements.

Edited by nickxk

5 minutes ago, Atlas Obscura said:

@samaasl Good luck to both of us! Should we devise a secret handshake or something to recognize one another??

Haha. Maybe we should, so we at least know one person to talk to :) But my name will also make sense once I present on my topic ?. If you do want to get in touch before the weekend, let me know!

@nickxk will you be joining us?

Hi everyone! Just saw this. I applied to Oxford for an MPhil in Modern Middle Eastern Studies, SOAS for an MA in Gender Studies with a MENA concentration, and NYU for a PhD in Middle Eastern Studies. Feeling pretty confident about them all, honestly.

I've yet to hear from anyone but I keep stalking each application page. Ideally, I wanted to apply to PhD programs only in USA but the GRE scores weren't good enough. NYU doesn't require a GRE, so I went with that, and UK doesn't require GRE scores period.

3.6/4.00 GPA, and an upcoming internship with the UN in NYC. 

Texas just sent out their decisions for the MA program. I got in! Not too shocked or surprised as my stats were above average for admitted students, but it's a relief to get a response from somewhere!

Has anyone applied to Hopkins or UCLA? Still waiting to hear from them... I saw someone posted an interview invitation for Hopkins NES program, so I'm taking that as an implied rejection... On the bright side, I was shortlisted for Brown!

@nickxk Mabrouk!!! Also, congrats to the Cornell and Chicago NELC admits!

2 minutes ago, Atlas Obscura said:

Don't know about Yale (I applied to Religion there and am expecting it's a no), though I will somewhat abashedly admit I was the Cornell accept! 

wow! congrats for Cornell!!! 

3 minutes ago, Atlas Obscura said:

Don't know about Yale (I applied to Religion there and am expecting it's a no), though I will somewhat abashedly admit I was the Cornell accept! 

Congrats! Was there an interview at all? If so, how soon after it were you notified? (I ask only because if interview invites went out a long time ago then I am likely rejected!)

5 hours ago, seshat said:

Applied to Chicago, Penn, Brown, and JHU for Egyptology. No good news so far...

Agreed, keep your head up. A lot of NES/NELC/MES programs are late relative to other programs. Chicago and Texas are one of the few I can think of where PhDs are announced around this time. Plus, if you’re doing an MA, you may not know until March with some schools- that’s when Michigan’s MENAS MA usually decides, for example.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: we’re all pretty darn qualified for these programs. We pretty much have years of research and/or language experience with multiple languages, awards, honors, etc. It can come down to luck or relationships or an AdCom having some issue with minutae in a personal statement. Don’t undersell yourself or feel bad for a minute! I sincerely believe you’ll get good news somewhere!

Anyone hear anything from Arizona yet? I saw that someone got accepted into the MA, but it was marked as ‘S19’ and I haven’t seen any other responses including acceptances or rejections for Fall PhD OR MA.