7 hours ago, 21n14l said:

Ugh, had an interview after running to bring OTHER applicants' luggage into the rental car. Was sweating literally and figuratively. Was super nervous for the first 15 minutes of the interview with the PI I applied to, and really said some not ideal things (nothing inappropriate, but responses that were questionable/weak). Any thoughts on whether I should explain myself in the thank-you email? I don't think it was severe, it was just a little awkward. 

All of my other interviews (non-PI faculty, group, grad students) went super well, and I feel like they would relay only good things about me, but the PI I applied to probably has the most weight for decision-making so I keep ruminating about the fumble.

Congrats on  the interview, I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped. I think you could write in your thank you that you didn't feel quite yourself and ended up being more nervous than you anticipated. Maybe you could say you thought more about x idea or question and feel like it is better articulated by saying x. But I think it's something to really think through and send a thoughtful follow-up to show the strengths that maybe you didn't get to fully display. We are all human, and hopefully your PI realizes how stressful this whole thing is! But! That being said, are you someone who doesn't  give yourself the benefit of the doubt/ is quick to be self-critical? Maybe it wasn't as awkward as you thought  and your PI didn't think twice about any of it and was actually impressed by you! I think try as hard as possible to be objective about what you said/didn't say, and what you would say to someone else in your position. Do you have a mentor or anyone like that who would be a good sounding board? Good luck!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 8:03 AM, FreudEgg said:

Congrats on  the interview, I'm sorry it didn't go as you hoped. I think you could write in your thank you that you didn't feel quite yourself and ended up being more nervous than you anticipated. Maybe you could say you thought more about x idea or question and feel like it is better articulated by saying x. But I think it's something to really think through and send a thoughtful follow-up to show the strengths that maybe you didn't get to fully display. We are all human, and hopefully your PI realizes how stressful this whole thing is! But! That being said, are you someone who doesn't  give yourself the benefit of the doubt/ is quick to be self-critical? Maybe it wasn't as awkward as you thought  and your PI didn't think twice about any of it and was actually impressed by you! I think try as hard as possible to be objective about what you said/didn't say, and what you would say to someone else in your position. Do you have a mentor or anyone like that who would be a good sounding board? Good luck!! 

Hey, I ended up doing this and the PI said I seemed composed and not nervous at all, lol. I'm definitely self-critical but that's because I had a good sense of my baseline. In any event, I appreciate your response

I'm finally done with interviews and one thing I'm starting to believe is that, it doesn't matter how well you think an interview went. For clinical psych, at least, the PIs are trained to become active listeners and nodding or smiling doesn't necessarily mean that they agree. Could just mean for you to go on. And, honestly, once you're at the interview stage, you're probably with equally qualified candidates. Everyone's interview, or at least their conversations, will go very well.

Thus, I think it's better to think of it as 'not terrible,' or 'not bad.' That way, you don't get your hopes up. 

I thought I absolutely nailed an interview, to learn that I interviewed for a spot that was already taken months in advance. I'm seeing this trend more and more, hearing it through other candidates' experiences, so I'm done thinking I can predict the admissions process. Just do your best, and hope your personality 'FiTs WiTh tHeiR LaB'. 

Edited by 41l1!I2

On 2/4/2019 at 11:58 PM, 41l1!I2 said:

Was super nervous for the first 15 minutes of the interview with the PI I applied to, and really said some not ideal things (nothing inappropriate, but responses that were questionable/weak). Any thoughts on whether I should explain myself in the thank-you email? I don't think it was severe, it was just a little awkward. 

All of my other interviews (non-PI faculty, group, grad students) went super well, and I feel like they would relay only good things about me, but the PI I applied to probably has the most weight for decision-making so I keep ruminating about the fumble.

I had this issue with one of my interviews. I ended up just giving up on the school. Will be curious to see what you end up doing! 

7 hours ago, 41l1!I2 said:

I thought I absolutely nailed an interview, to learn that I interviewed for a spot that was already taken months in advance. I'm seeing this trend more and more, hearing it through other candidates' experiences, so I'm done thinking I can predict the admissions process. Just do your best, and hope your personality 'FiTs WiTh tHeiR LaB'. 

This happened to me before (not this cycle, but for masters programs in another career path). And of course, it has happened to me more times than I can count for internships and jobs. Those hiring - whether they're PIs or HR managers - need to go through the steps for appearance and legality's sake, but most often they already have a candidate in mind. It really sucks to get your hopes up about an opportunity only to know that you were shot in the foot before you ever walked in the room. At this point I'm just trying to be authentic, not overprepare (actually I don't prepare at all lmao), and take each interview as a practice opportunity. Once we're in, we're going to be interviewing for practica/externships, and then predoc internships, and then postdocs, and then jobs... the more practice we get interacting with other psych professionals in an interview setting, the better off we'll be. I've noticed that my confidence levels has definitely grown as I've gone through my interviews. My first interview was a hot mess (still got accepted so you never know) but my most recent one felt great.

Edited by dancedementia

9 hours ago, 41l1!I2 said:

Hey, I ended up doing this and the PI said I seemed composed and not nervous at all, lol. I'm definitely self-critical but that's because I had a good sense of my baseline. In any event, I appreciate your response

I'm glad it worked out!! Sorry about your frustrations with the other interviews/ process. Like @dancedementia, I've had many similar experiences (but when applying for jobs), and the whole whoever-you're-interviewing-with-already-has-picked-someone-else-for-the-spot - thing is way too familiar for me. It is SO disappointing, but looking at it as prep, prep, and more prep has been helpful for me as well. I think I have tweaked something each time actually. 

2 hours ago, FreudEgg said:

I'm glad it worked out!! Sorry about your frustrations with the other interviews/ process. Like @dancedementia, I've had many similar experiences (but when applying for jobs), and the whole whoever-you're-interviewing-with-already-has-picked-someone-else-for-the-spot - thing is way too familiar for me. It is SO disappointing, but looking at it as prep, prep, and more prep has been helpful for me as well. I think I have tweaked something each time actually. 

Btw just got officially rejected, so, haha

Whew. Just got out of a stressful interview. I didn't get to speak to my POI in-depth (we interviewed with 3 profs at a time, with one prof leading the interview - which was not my POI). I feel like I floundered around the entire time. Even worse, they let us know early on in the day that their class size is going to be 3-4 people. There were at least 20 of us in the room. So much pressure! ? It almost felt worse to know that I had made this THIS FAR and could very possibly miss out on an acceptance by a TINY margin. Ugh.

Edited by dancedementia

17 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Whew. Just got out of a stressful interview. I didn't get to speak to my POI in-depth (we interviewed with 3 profs at a time, with one prof leading the interview - which was not my POI). I feel like I floundered around the entire time. Even worse, they let us know early on in the day that their class size is going to be 3-4 people. There were at least 20 of us in the room. So much pressure! ? It almost felt worse to know that I had made this THIS FAR and could very possibly miss out on an acceptance by a TINY margin. Ugh.

Wow. That is some deep pressure. My goodness! You can only trust that you tried your best under the circumstances. 

Hello guys, 

I just had an interview this Wednesday. There were 2 of us for one POI, so it seems like we may be competing with each other  or maybe both of us will get in... I don't know, our POI didn't tell us how many students he can take in. There is another POI who only invited one student for his lab; I wonder whether it means that student is already admitted and just came and visited the campus? Anyone had similar experience?

Edited by Stickyknow

1 hour ago, Stickyknow said:

Hello guys, 

I just had an interview this Wednesday. There were 2 of us for one POI, so it seems like we may be competing with each other  or maybe both of us will get in... I don't know, our POI didn't tell us how many students he can take in. There is another POI who only invited one student for his lab; I wonder whether it means that student is already admitted and just came and visited the campus? Anyone had similar experience?

I actually was the only invited applicant to interview with my POI as well (and received an offer a few days later). I think there could be many reasons why this particular POI only invited one student for his lab (maybe this student stood out and other applicants didn't, perhaps this student was the only applicant that specified this POI, etc.), but I don't think the POI/department knew beforehand that they would offer a spot to them. This student could be great on paper, but then upon interview day could turn out to have a nightmare personality. 

For you, it seems likely that you will be competing with this other applicant for the one spot. I feel like usually the professor or their current students would let you know that there is funding available for two students (that has just been my experience), otherwise it's fair game.

Edited by ilobebrains