MIT Media Lab: Fall 2019 Interviews

mc13

Hi all,

I applied to the Lifelong Kindergarten group at the Media Lab for Fall this year. Just wondering about any insights or experiences about the interview process during Jan/Feb. Potential questions, presentations, etc?

It must be completely different among each group but I'm curious about what other students have to say.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 5:35 PM, m1chechung said:

Hi all,

I applied to the Lifelong Kindergarten group at the Media Lab for Fall this year. Just wondering about any insights or experiences about the interview process during Jan/Feb. Potential questions, presentations, etc?

It must be completely different among each group but I'm curious about what other students have to say.

I applied to Viral Communications and have heard nothing but I got a 2 minute view on my portfolio last month. Did anyone have an interview with that group already? Is it advisable to email the professor to express interest?

17 hours ago, Doomnometron said:

I had a handful of extremely brief visits to my portfolio site (5) from IPs originating from MIT at the beginning of the month. 

Which group did you apply for?

Edited by civitas

If it's no trouble to ask, what's the range on the visiting IP addresses? I've been receiving quite a few visits each day from IPs starting with 18 and on some whois sites they resolve to MIT. The thing is, I read that a couple years ago MIT sold of their IPs above (IIRC) 18.145 to Amazon and almost all of the IPs in my logs are above 18.145.

I applied to Poetic Justice, and last week received an open application for the group. Otherwise, the only contact I've had was after inquiring about one of the questions in the open application. In the meantime, I'm remaining patient and not getting my hopes up. It's difficult at times, but the situation is out of our hands at this point

2 hours ago, Lesss365 said:

I applied to Poetic Justice, and last week received an open application for the group. Otherwise, the only contact I've had was after inquiring about one of the questions in the open application. In the meantime, I'm remaining patient and not getting my hopes up. It's difficult at times, but the situation is out of our hands at this point

What is an open application, if you don't mind my asking?

8 hours ago, entropomorph said:

What is an open application, if you don't mind my asking?

Poetic Justice has a dedicated form for applicants to fill in. The program assistant told me that they are going to send out invitations in January or early February, according to the PI's schedule. 

15 hours ago, Lesss365 said:

If it's no trouble to ask, what's the range on the visiting IP addresses? I've been receiving quite a few visits each day from IPs starting with 18 and on some whois sites they resolve to MIT. The thing is, I read that a couple years ago MIT sold of their IPs above (IIRC) 18.145 to Amazon and almost all of the IPs in my logs are above 18.145.

Hi there, I applied to Poetic Justice as well. By open application, did you mean the Open Call Google form?

5 hours ago, civitas said:

Poetic Justice has a dedicated form for applicants to fill in. The program assistant told me that they are going to send out invitations in January or early February, according to the PI's schedule. 

The program assistant did mention they would be reaching out soon, but as soon January or early February? That's wonderful to hear!

Thank you for sharing. Wishing you and everyone here the best of luck in our pursuits of happiness

33 minutes ago, Lesss365 said:

The program assistant did mention they would be reaching out soon, but as soon January or early February? That's wonderful to hear!

Thank you for sharing. Wishing you and everyone here the best of luck in our pursuits of happiness

I cannot ensure all groups will reach out at the same period; I have heard someone already got an interview. The assistant of Poetic Justice told me last month that they will reach out in this month; however, it is not very certain, and have to comply with its PI's schedule. Sorry for the ambiguity. 

Also applying to LLK. Got visits from MIT (the network provider is mit.edu) for seven times. One burst on Jan 11, but not sure whether it's from LLK or other gourps. No interviews yet. POI replied that he will look through my application carefully.