MIT Media Lab: Fall 2019 Interviews

mc13

Got rejection this morning as expected, but to be honest, I got quite negative experience applying to them comparing with other schools. I feel they are more like job application rather than master program application, but at least job application got clearer job description and skill requirements and don’t request for an application fee. They are mysterious about the standard and I also received a not well drafted (the choice of wording sounds quite rude to me) email earlier before asking me to clarify some parts in my application. Congrats to people who got in, I am sure you are awesome people, but school wise, I feel a bit disappointed.

Got my rejection, it was normal after not having interview to getting rejection, agree with people that saying it is not normal application and hiding many things, for future applicant it is better to go to open house and see them in person, its a bit hard for international applicant but it sounds promising,

congrats to people who are accepted, you are genius, wait to see your great projects,

and to people not getting admission please keep up the good work and keep making great projects, this is not the only place you could go ?

8 hours ago, Resedaz said:

Got rejection this morning as expected, but to be honest, I got quite negative experience applying to them comparing with other schools. I feel they are more like job application rather than master program application, but at least job application got clearer job description and skill requirements and don’t request for an application fee. They are mysterious about the standard and I also received a not well drafted (the choice of wording sounds quite rude to me) email earlier before asking me to clarify some parts in my application. Congrats to people who got in, I am sure you are awesome people, but school wise, I feel a bit disappointed.

+1

Got an acceptance on 22nd Feb, with the Opera of the future group.

Had few portfolio visits in the last week of January followed by a Skype interview with the PI in the first week of Feb. It seems like the selection process is completely unique to each group and PI, which might make it frustrating for applicants in the dark. For future applicants, I think connecting on an individual level with the PI or the senior PhD students of the group, much before the application process, helps a lot (Atleast to get an idea of the upcoming projects and what the PI might be looking for; or if they are keen on taking students at all).

My congratulations to others accepted, crossing all the fingers and toes i have, for those on the waitlist. For those that did not get in this time, keep working on your inspiring projects, making an impact in your community, read your 'statement of purpose' again. That "purpose" is still within you and there are so many ways you can keep at it. I look forward to crossing paths with all of you!

9 minutes ago, zjh said:

anyone has any idea what are the things I should do to increase my chance of getting off the waiting list?

It depends on your relationship with the PI, and whether you know which group you're waitlisted to. If you have a good dialogue with the PI and you know which group you're waitlisted for, I don't see anything wrong with sending a short email reaffirming your interest. I doubt it would have much effect on your chances though. Realistically, pretty much all we can do is sit back and wait... I know it's painful.

Edit: I just saw earlier in the thread that you applied to two groups and didn't interview... in that case, I think emailing a PI would be risky, since you don't know which group waitlisted you.

Edited by crazycheese8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...