For those poor, unfortunate souls taking the GRE, I bid you good luck!

I few of my friends have asked me for advice and such regarding the test, to which I replied, "run away." But alas, we cannot. In fact, we have to go towards it, but no one said you had to run. In fact, take a moment to look at the actual test dates near you. Go on. But come back! You have more to read.

Did you look? No? You little rebel, you! 

The point in looking is to better help you create a timeline. This will come in handy, believe me! If you're like me, then you have to work around your job, your family responsibilities, and pretending to have a life outside of the grad school process. The timeline helps you juggle all that with your study time. My next little piece of advice: buy a study guide! This is probably one of the most important out of everything I may, or may not, tell you in the next five minutes. Don't just buy a three year old study guide and expect it to be the same, because it won't be and you'll just end up wasting your money. Go to your local bookstore (and don't try to tell me you don't have one, I can pretend to know you better than that) and take a little while to actually skim through the different GRE study guides they have to offer. I'm going to suggest to be on the lookout for two different things: 1) make sure the main one you get goes into detail explaining all the little things on EVERY section of the exam, and 2) invest in a smaller book/set of flashcards they might have to improve your GRE vocabulary. I know that may seem a bit strange but it helped me loads!! What next? You actually have to study. I know it may seem hard to believe, and you may be the type who is reading this and thinking, "I never studied before so why should I start now?" To that I reply with (and please read in the most sarcastic voice you have in your mental arsenal): if that were truly the case, you wouldn't be sitting there reading this now. Don't be a jerk, and study.

Think about it, you're spending a couple of hundred on the exam, so why not study so you don't have to double your money and retake it? Don't be an idiot. Plan accordingly and make the most out of the time you have. Even if you aren't taking the exam for 5 - 6 months down the line, the time goes by so fast so work hard and achieve greatness like I know you can! 

Advice during the actual testing? Take a moment to calm yourself down before the testing actually begins. I, obviously, did not do this and ended up giving myself a nosebleed before the testing began so take it from someone who knows and pray you don't end up like me. That being said, I did score pretty good on my GRE, but that's beside the point. Close you eyes, take a few deep breaths, and kill that sucker! Then let me know your experiences so that I don't feel so bad about mine. :

Good luck! 

K.