Only because "the thing no one wants to talk about yet everyone needs to think about at some point but no one wants to because it may seem like you're heading towards failure" was a bit long to be title worthy...

Welcome back, guys and gals and all those lovely folks who have read my writing before...you know, in that one "blog" post...

I hope everyone is having a great day! Why? Because I'm about to ruin it. I know, I'm such a horrible person, but it was bound to happen eventually. In my last post (So, you've entered the abyss...) I briefly discussed the idea of having a back up (or BU for those loyal readers out there...you know, the entire one of you). Well, now it is time for me to elaborate. This is the one thing that everyone who begins the grad school process must come across at some point, however briefly it may be. The truth of the matter is, though, this is going to be the path that some of us end up taking. I thought it best to bring it into the light.

Now, the BU plan is different for everybody and doesn't have to be set on a single thing. For example, I'll use myself. While my graduate dream is to become the world's best and most well-known maritime archaeologist by the time I'm in my early 30s, I have a hugely different back up plan...12, in fact. What can I say? My OCD causes me to plan for multiple contingencies. After all, you never know what may happen! So, obviously, my next plan is to become a world renowned writer. Just kidding! While there may be one or two of you out there who are actually getting what little amusement you can out of my writing, it's not my next plan of action. A plan of action, yes. I wouldn't have a three or four half written books sitting on my computer for nothing if it wasn't. Apart from becoming some sort of writer, I may end up starting my own dessert food truck where all the fandoms can unite in the form of your new favorite desserts. (And before you ask, I do have baking experience. I used to be a dessert baker at a local...well, that's beside the point.) If that doesn't work out, I'll go work in a museum somewhere, or maybe do an internship abroad, or, heck, I don't know, become a hard core princess of some small unheard of country! 

Although not every single one of those may seem attainable (the part about me becoming a writer part, because of course it's possible for me to become a princess), that's beside the point. The point is to have a plan. Any sort of plan, because any sort of plan is still some sort of plan. So, while you are starting to have that little inkling in the back of your head of something else that may seem a bit interesting to you, my advice: look into it. Entertain the idea of actually accomplishing it. That being said, however, don't let a simple back up plan distract you from your main goal. You've got it within your to get yourself where you need to be. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. At least now you know that you'll always have my vote of support. So now go! Go out and make your back up plan. If you don't get into grad school, then show the world just what you can do without it. Don't cut yourself down before you've even begun to fully stand up on your own two feet. Become the tree that rises towards the heavens and who's broken vines and branches have only made you stronger. If you get accepted into your dream program, that's amazing! But if not, then don't worry because there is something better out there for you, even if it takes you a little while to find it. I really wanted to end this little post on a high note so it wouldn't be so depressing, and I hope that I achieved that... Thank you for reading this far and I hope that one day I get to hear what your back up plan may or may not be. Be sure to stay in touch and good luck with all your future endeavors!

Sincerely,

K.

Thanks! Really! Your attitude is so refreshing! The waiting phase of the admissions is a rollercoaster, and the past couple of days have not been the best... Your positive attitude is exactly what I needed to hear (or read)! I'm a fan!

I hope you do become the world greatest maritime archaeologist! Hell! I'll become a renowned demoticist (look it up :P) and we'll laugh about it in a couple of years! If things go sideways, I can always become and actor (I do have some experience... besides, it cannot be more difficult than mastering an ancient Egyptian language, right?), or I could become a barista and open a History-themed specialty coffee house... If, no, WHEN you become a princess, be sure to drop by to attract the crowds! First coffee is on the house, Your Highness! ;)

Dearest Sseire,

Let me just say that reading your comments have made my day!! I'm so glad that I have a fan like you and thank you so much for reading! It means the world to me to know that I'm actually getting through to people. BTW, I did in fact have to look up what a demoticist was...can I just say how cool that sounds?!?! Okay, I have a question for you then: in The Mummy (with Brendan Fraser of course, not that new Tom Cruise s..tuff), how accurate is what they are saying versus what they probably should be saying or is the Egyptian in the movie pretty accurate?? You don't know how long I've wanted to know the answer to this question... Also, even though I'm sure you're going to be an amazing Egyptologist (are they even close to similar?? Study of Egypt vs. the study of the ancient hieratic Egyptian language..), I'll be sure to hold you to that coffee one day! Plus, let's be honest here, I don't have the patience to become a princess. They're tooooo....high maintenance...but that's just my mini opinion! I cannot wait to see what the world has to offer you and I hope that you keep in touch in some way, shape, or form! Thanks for your reading!!

K.

P.S.

YOU READ THE TAGS?!?!?!? SOMEONE FINALLLYYYYYYY READS THE TAGS!!!! PRAISES!!!  

Dearest KayAnne,

I've read your post about the abyss; you are indeed getting through to people! Thank you for that! Please keep writing with such a positive mood! 

Trust me: being a would-be egyptologist/demoticist is less glamorous than it sounds. Before you ask: yes, I have a hat and a whip, but I spend most of my time going through several Egyptian-German dictionaries...

Ahhh! The 1999 Mummy with Brendan Fraser! I love that movie! To be honest, I'm not sure if the dialogue in Egyptian is correct (I'll look it up), but I assure you: everything else is far, far, very far from being accurate! After my Master's degree, with the little knowledge I have, a friend and I tried to turn the movie into a drinking game: every time there was something not historically correct, we would drink a shot... We had to stop drinking after 10 minutes and settle with just enjoying the movie... 

If you're interested, there's a scene in the X-Men apocalypse movie where the bad guy walks around the streets in modern Egypt. Some thugs talk to him in Egyptian Arabic, and he answers in Late Egyptian, which was spoken more or less between 1300-660 BC. The dialogue is surprisingly accurate, and I was thrilled that I was able to understand both languages when I first saw it!

Don't let the traditional interpretation of princessness (yup, made that up) deter you from becoming one; you can always be a rebel princess! Leia is a great example!

I sincerely hope you get into your dream grad school! Keep me posted on your adventures!

S

On 1/8/2019 at 11:17 PM, KayAnne14 said:

So, obviously, my next plan is to become a world renowned writer. Just kidding! While there may be one or two of you out there who are actually getting what little amusement you can out of my writing, it's not my next plan of action. A plan of action, yes. I wouldn't have a three or four half written books sitting on my computer for nothing if it wasn't.

I know the chances of my finishing an encyclopedic overview of all the Roman Catholic Popes and their patronage of the arts is slim to none but that's what Google drive folders titled "pet projects" are for! Even if you don't finish those books keep them around! They'll be so good to look back on and see how far you've come at the end of your career.

I also read the tags, some small part of me is waiting for my long lost relative to show up on my doorstep and inform me that I'm next in line for the throne of Genovia. 

13 hours ago, sseire said:

Trust me: being a would-be egyptologist/demoticist is less glamorous than it sounds. Before you ask: yes, I have a hat and a whip, but I spend most of my time going through several Egyptian-German dictionaries...

Ahh...the rigors of academia. The glamorous jobs like egyptology or art history always require far more time in a library than they let on in undergraduate. I've spent the last week in an archival center with my nose in a 100+ year old diary (and loving every minute of it!).

1 hour ago, CN0rd said:

Ahh...the rigors of academia. The glamorous jobs like egyptology or art history always require far more time in a library than they let on in undergraduate. I've spent the last week in an archival center with my nose in a 100+ year old diary (and loving every minute of it!).

A 100+ year old diary? That sounds cool! Whose diary is it? What do you expect to learn from it?

I'm well aware that, if get admitted to a PhD program, I'll spend the next 5y (and, probably, most of my life after that) in a library, and I'm completely OK with that. Getting paid for learning and studying what interests me; that's the dream!

I hope you get into your favorite school and you get to publish your work on the Catholic Popes' patronage of the arts! Best of luck!

Reading these comments truly makes my day!! Who cares if I have to keep saying it. 

S, I look forward to your analysis of such a great (if not historically accurate) movie and I can't wait to hear about it. And while I have seen some of the X-men movies...I don't think I've seen that one, but good job! I'm proud of you!! As for the adventures, can I just say "same here!"? I can't wait to hear where you end up a few months from now!!

Cn0rd, I'll be sure to keep them in mind and look back a few years from now. As for the tags...Princess Diaries reference right there, folks!!!! So glad I'm not the only fan of that movie!! But if you ever get whisked away into royalty...take me with you! Hahaha just kidding (sort of). 

Btw, I connect with both of you in more ways than you know. One of my side projects that I began during my undergrad career is over the legend and memory of Robin Hood and the things I do for research are both astonishing and incredibly boring at times but I love every minute of it. I hope to hear from you both in the future and I hope you enjoy reading my new blog, Ready As I'll Ever Be! After all, it's because of you guys that I was requested to start it! Thanks so much for reading!!

Until next time,

K.

@sseire The man was named William Kent, he's a distant relative of Washington Irving and he married into a family of New York tobacco tycoons. He's also a descendant of the sitters in two portraits in the museum I work at but we're not sure exactly who those people are and I was hoping his diary would talk about the works because we know they circulated through the possession of some of his close family members.

This is my backup plan so far if things don’t go well with grad school:

Step one: Allow myself a max of two weeks to cry it out. Eat tons of ice cream. Scream into a pillow. Watch TV for hours in a row without regret. Maybe shower less frequently than I usually do. 

Step two: Pick myself up off the floor (literally and metaphorically).

Step three: Decide what is best for me after this. Should I volunteer for awhile overseas? Get a job related to my research interests or get a retail job so I can figure that all out while I make money? Just do something, anything, that’s not in step one. 

Step four: Try out decision made in step 3 and change accordingly. 

Thanks forever for your kind words and wonderful advice, @KayAnne14

Also, your tags are pretty great!