verosanchez

Hi all! I’ve been accepted to Tulane and UT Knoxville’s program in Nashville. Tulane offered a scholarship. 

I’m still waiting to hear from Columbia and Fordham. I currently live in Brooklyn, so I’m considering staying if I’m admitted to either. That being said, New Orleans and working in the South has always been the dream. 

Good luck everyone!!

13 hours ago, malliebu said:

Hi all! I’ve been accepted to Tulane and UT Knoxville’s program in Nashville. Tulane offered a scholarship. 

I’m still waiting to hear from Columbia and Fordham. I currently live in Brooklyn, so I’m considering staying if I’m admitted to either. That being said, New Orleans and working in the South has always been the dream. 

Good luck everyone!!

Jealous! I was admitted to Tulane last year with a scholarship also but due to limited job opportunities for my partner in the area, I chose not to attend. The money factor was also daunting considering they only offered the scholarship for one year. Congratulations!

On 4/6/2019 at 9:40 AM, doctormelody said:

Jealous! I was admitted to Tulane last year with a scholarship also but due to limited job opportunities for my partner in the area, I chose not to attend. The money factor was also daunting considering they only offered the scholarship for one year. Congratulations!

Thanks so much! Where did you choose to attend? 

Any insight you have on Tulane’s program is appreciated! 

1 hour ago, malliebu said:

Thanks so much! Where did you choose to attend? 

Any insight you have on Tulane’s program is appreciated! 

I decided to wait another year and this cycle I only applied to the University of Pittsburgh. I was accepted and I will be matriculating this fall, barring any other major life changes.

I don't know that I have any special insight other than that I really wanted to go and it seems like an excellent program! I love New Orleans so much, it may be my favorite city on Earth, and certainly in the US. One thing I would say is make sure to check whether your scholarship is for one year or two - it was my understanding that they only offer scholarships for the first year, which you probably know, but if you didn't, that would be a nasty surprise!

On 4/7/2019 at 11:48 AM, doctormelody said:

I decided to wait another year and this cycle I only applied to the University of Pittsburgh. I was accepted and I will be matriculating this fall, barring any other major life changes.

I don't know that I have any special insight other than that I really wanted to go and it seems like an excellent program! I love New Orleans so much, it may be my favorite city on Earth, and certainly in the US. One thing I would say is make sure to check whether your scholarship is for one year or two - it was my understanding that they only offer scholarships for the first year, which you probably know, but if you didn't, that would be a nasty surprise!

I did notice that, thanks for the heads up. I don’t foresee scholarships from the other programs I applied to, so this might be the best bet for me. 

Congrats on Pittsburg! Ditto on New Orleans by the way. I’m from the Southeast originally, and I really want to work there (currently based in NYC). I’m going to the open house this weekend, so I hope I’ll have better insight after that. 

1 hour ago, malliebu said:

I did notice that, thanks for the heads up. I don’t foresee scholarships from the other programs I applied to, so this might be the best bet for me. 

Congrats on Pittsburg! Ditto on New Orleans by the way. I’m from the Southeast originally, and I really want to work there (currently based in NYC). I’m going to the open house this weekend, so I hope I’ll have better insight after that. 

Thank you! Yeah, I was in a similar position. I was offered a scholarship at Columbia as well, but it was only 11,000 a year and of course the cost is astronomical. Congratulations to you as well and best of luck with everything!

I got waitlisted at SFSU and just did my in person interview at Fresno State. Got rejected from CAL which was quite depressing. Waiting for SFSU is so stressful.

5 hours ago, MSWCandidate12 said:

For the people who have been waitlisted to SFSU MSW program. Did they mention your ranking/position? For example, did they mention if you were at the top of the waitlist when they offered you the waitlist? 

I was wait listed to the MFT Counseling program and my ranking was not listed. They also have not shared this information with me when asked, either.

7 hours ago, MSWCandidate12 said:

For the people who have been waitlisted to SFSU MSW program. Did they mention your ranking/position? For example, did they mention if you were at the top of the waitlist when they offered you the waitlist? 

No they did not. I'm also curious if the letters/emails they sent out to us were identical? 

I did ask them regarding the ranking and they didn't tell me either. I suppose the emails sent to us were identical. Basically a waitlist offer. Waitlisted is better than a rejection, so let's all wait patiently. No matter which program/schools we head to, we'll all contribute uniquely to our chosen field.

12 hours ago, Vanitydior said:

Have you heard anything from Fresno state?

No, they said they would mail out decisions on the 15th. Waited all day yesterday and heard nothing. I'm hoping I get an answer today. I'm from Fresno, so I don't see why it should take this long to get an answer. How did your interview go? 

4 hours ago, BMouse said:

No, they said they would mail out decisions on the 15th. Waited all day yesterday and heard nothing. I'm hoping I get an answer today. I'm from Fresno, so I don't see why it should take this long to get an answer. How did your interview go? 

My interview went well, I thought I might hear something today but no luck 

I need help deciding between VCU and Hunter. VCU would be in state tuition and about 20k less than Hunter (including cost of living estimates). Additionally, at VCU you don't need to specialize until your second year which appeals to me as I am attracted to both macro and micro social work. However, I have lots of family in NYC, plus all the culture and opportunities in the city are hard to say no to. I also feel like my career prospects would be better going to school in NYC, and that could justify the debt I would have to go in to. Any thoughts? Is NYC worth about ~25k in debt?

19 minutes ago, MayorBobbledoodery said:

I need help deciding between VCU and Hunter. VCU would be in state tuition and about 20k less than Hunter (including cost of living estimates). Additionally, at VCU you don't need to specialize until your second year which appeals to me as I am attracted to both macro and micro social work. However, I have lots of family in NYC, plus all the culture and opportunities in the city are hard to say no to. I also feel like my career prospects would be better going to school in NYC, and that could justify the debt I would have to go in to. Any thoughts? Is NYC worth about ~25k in debt?

Those are 2 great options, congrats! I think it depends on where you see yourself after graduating. If you know you want to end up in NYC, it might be a good idea to go to Hunter (and unfortunately take on debt) because the NYC social work market is pretty competitive and it’s better to get your foot in the door sooner rather than later. If ending up in NYC isn’t a firm requirement, then it’d be more financially sound to go to VCU and take advantage of the in-state tuition. And I’m not sure what the job market looks like there, but you can probably look in neighboring states like Maryland or DC if for some reason you can’t find a job in Virginia (but that’s probably highly unlikely!) and sure, NYC jobs may pay more but the cost of living is really insane. I’m only able to afford going to Hunter/staying in NYC because I’ll be living at home. Does your 25k debt factor in cost of living already?

At the end of the day, you can’t go wrong with either choice, it just depends on what you prioritize (having less debt upon graduation? Living and working in a very diverse (also expensive!) city?) And it seems you’ve already compared the 2 programs academically, but I think the education we’ll all get at the end is pretty standard since both programs are CSWE accredited. Good luck with this tough choice!

18 hours ago, MayorBobbledoodery said:

This is just my two cents but if you're considering staying in VA at all I think you should go to VCU. I've heard from multiple people that VA has some of the strictest licensing requirements in the country (also heard that about NY and California, but it was corroborated by fewer people) which makes it very difficult to practice in VA if you didn't get your license in the state. My old therapist, for example, had to take I think two or three additional classes at VCU after being licensed for ten years in Maryland in order to practice in VA. You may already know this, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware. 

As @ML878 said, it really just depends on where you want to end up. You should think about where you see yourself living and working long-term and make a choice based on that. Both schools have good reputations in their respective areas so it just depends on where you wanna be. It's a tough choice! Best of luck.

Edited by doctormelody

Hey! 

Has anyone applied to/heard back from Bryn Mawr for their MSS program? I had my interview last week and am curious to see how long it will take until I find out the results!

On 4/4/2019 at 2:53 PM, bayareamelaninsw said:

Hello,

I am a MSW candidate for two schools for MSW programs starting Fall 2019. 

Applied to: SFSU(San Francisco State) & (California State University, East Bay). 

I have been waitlisted at SFSU as of last week! I heard about the news via email, which was quite exciting because SFSU MSW program is quite competitive. They only have 30 availabile slots versus other schools who admitted 70-110 applicants.

I have not heard from CSUEB MSW program. However I know I will receive notification from them via mail, just not sure when. Good luck everyone! 

All money In! The Marathon definitely is continuing. 

Hi! Did you get accepted off the waitlist? I'm on the waitlist still for the Counseling department...

Hello no. I have not yet been accepted off the waitlist. I’m hopeful but I called to find out my ranking and was told they can’t give me that information. Sounds sketchy...but I’m rolling with it until I know wass final! How about you? 

On 4/25/2019 at 9:33 AM, GMP said:

Hey! 

Has anyone applied to/heard back from Bryn Mawr for their MSS program? I had my interview last week and am curious to see how long it will take until I find out the results!

Hi! I applied and was accepted into Bryn Mawr back in February. What questions do you have? I can try to answer, but I'l have to admit I didn't look into Bryn Mawr too seriously. I go to TCNJ now, and our schools have a partnership that made things a lot more accessible (more classes transfer, no app fee, etc) so I took advantage of that, but after looking at the bigger picture I decided to go elsewhere. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a thread/forum for MSW students that start this fall, regardless of where at? I would love a facebook group or some group on here for that added support. Any leads?