verosanchez

4 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Yeah Idk I doubt it’s that high due to it being such a small program. Honestly tho it doesn’t make a difference to me. :)

I’m assuming the acceptance rate is super high due to the price-tag. Graduate programs are usually smaller and have less of an applicant pool. If only 1/3 of your admitted students are going to attend the program, you need to have a high acceptance rate, regardless of academic rigor or prestige.

2 minutes ago, honeynut said:

Wow! Congrats! What time did you receive the email? Also do you mind sharing your stats? 

I received the email about 30 minutes ago (11:45am) 

I had a 3.67 undergrad G.P.A

Nontraditional student, 4.5 years of working in the field

I did submit GRE and had slightly above average math and english and a 5.5 AW score

Just now, suhlast said:

I received the email about 30 minutes ago (11:45am) 

I had a 3.67 undergrad G.P.A

Nontraditional student, 4.5 years of working in the field

I did submit GRE and had slightly above average math and english and a 5.5 AW score

Omg we have similar stats ? same gpa and I graduated in 2014. I didn’t take the GRE tho ? congrats!!! First choice school? 

2 minutes ago, honeynut said:

Omg we have similar stats ? same gpa and I graduated in 2014. I didn’t take the GRE tho ? congrats!!! First choice school? 

I'm sure you'll get in!!

I'm torn between WashU and UNC currently. WashU has given me a really nice package, so I'll have to see what UNC can provide. I live in the Triangle now though, which makes UNC very appealing. 

You?!

Just now, suhlast said:

I'm sure you'll get in!!

I'm torn between WashU and UNC currently. WashU has given me a really nice package, so I'll have to see what UNC can provide. I live in the Triangle now though, which makes UNC very appealing. 

You?!

I got into WashU last year but decided to stay in the triangle another year. I’d die if I got into unc. Both are fantastic schools so you are in a great position. 

Joining late! I wish I saw this sooner.... I got accepted to Rutgers on Jan 29th and had to submit my deposit today to hold my seat, and being that I have yet to hear back from any other schools, I submitted it. I wish I knew about the April 15th rule sooner!

I also applied to Columbia, BU, Simmons, and Temple-  haven't heard back from any yet!

6 minutes ago, Cara32 said:

Joining late! I wish I saw this sooner.... I got accepted to Rutgers on Jan 29th and had to submit my deposit today to hold my seat, and being that I have yet to hear back from any other schools, I submitted it. I wish I knew about the April 15th rule sooner!

I also applied to Columbia, BU, Simmons, and Temple-  haven't heard back from any yet!

If you are hoping to move to NYC and are interested in clinical I’d apply to NYU. That is where I have chosen to go. Seems like a great program 

21 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Yeah Idk I doubt it’s that high due to it being such a small program. Honestly tho it doesn’t make a difference to me. :)

To be clear -  I mentioned the acceptance rate to encourage the individual who wasn't sure if they could get in that they should give it a shot, not to knock NYU. I don't think acceptance rates for MSWs are what you should make a decision on (so many programs have high acceptance rates, and even among the most selective, they're still not that low, e.g., 30% for Michigan). 

By all accounts I hear NYU is a great program, except for the issue of the exorbitant cost of the program. Many people I meet who live / plan to work in NY choose or chose Hunter because of the price tag / value. I would bet that is why NYU's admit rate is higher - I'm sure they have lower yield.

1 hour ago, MSWFall2019 said:

To be clear -  I mentioned the acceptance rate to encourage the individual who wasn't sure if they could get in that they should give it a shot, not to knock NYU. I don't think acceptance rates for MSWs are what you should make a decision on (so many programs have high acceptance rates, and even among the most selective, they're still not that low, e.g., 30% for Michigan). 

By all accounts I hear NYU is a great program, except for the issue of the exorbitant cost of the program. Many people I meet who live / plan to work in NY choose or chose Hunter because of the price tag / value. I would bet that is why NYU's admit rate is higher - I'm sure they have lower yield.

I understand. I was just also wondering where the info came from :) all is good!!!! 

Got my acceptance to Columbia this evening!

Officially heard back from all six schools I applied to!

Accepted to:

Columbia

UNC- CH

University of Denver

WashU

Michigan

Penn

Still waiting on financial offers from:

Columbia ,UNC, Michigan

Good luck, everyone!! So thankful for this forum. Can't wait to be classmates with some of you! ?

10 hours ago, ML878 said:

Congrats!!! It’s nice to finally see admission decisions rolling in! Hopefully the ones I’m waiting on (BU, Hunter, Suny Albany) will be next!! ??

Thank you! I'm also waiting on BU, fingers crossed. Good luck! 

12 hours ago, MSW1313 said:

So I just received my admission into Columbia's program today! Any thoughts on NYU vs Columbia? Did anyone else apply to both?

I work in the NY area and generally NYU is better regarded than Columbia - have had several people tell me not to apply / go to Columbia. 

Columbia is focused on international work though and has some great poverty research though, if those are of interest. If not, would def go NYU. You also should be able to get a little more aid from NYU than Columbia.