Jump to content
yash13177

Tips for a Desert Gal visiting the Cold East

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

For my entire life I've lived in pretty warm places, aka no snow and temps never below 55 degrees. I'm visiting a school on the east side of the USA from 1/31 - 2/2. Based on weather.com's monthly estimates, it'll be about a 43 degree high and 25 degree low with RAIN - probably the coldest I've ever had to deal with ever.

Any tips with how to survive the interview weekend? The thickest coat I have is just like a black trench coat, looks professional but doesn't provide enough warmth for such a low temperature. I can borrow a coat from my boyfriend put it is quite puffy and not really suitable for interviews. How do I stay warm and also be business casual? I'm counting on lots of layers but I'm guessing wearing a thick coat to interviews is normal? Is there anything that is a must buy?

Literally a desert girl who has never had to deal with cold ahahaha!! sorry for such a silly question :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wear the warmer coat with a professional blazer underneath. Take the coat off when you get inside the building. Or, if you really feel like spending money, a nice peacoat is both warm and stylish. I have lived in the Northeast all my life. We don't really pay attention to the outerwear. If you wear the coat inside, that might be a little weird. Just be glad you're getting off easy. The fun times is when it's a high of 15 and feels like 2 with windchill. 

But yeah, borrow the bf's coat as long as it doesn't have rips/stains and doesn't look comically huge on you. Dress in layers. Maybe bring a scarf and gloves too. If you aren't used to the cold, it will probably feel worse for you. For shoes, I would suggest either rain boots and then change into flats/heels once inside, or wear a nice pair of leather (or leather-looking) boots. Suede is a bad idea if there's going to be rain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hk328 said:

Wear the warmer coat with a professional blazer underneath. Take the coat off when you get inside the building. Or, if you really feel like spending money, a nice peacoat is both warm and stylish. I have lived in the Northeast all my life. We don't really pay attention to the outerwear. If you wear the coat inside, that might be a little weird. Just be glad you're getting off easy. The fun times is when it's a high of 15 and feels like 2 with windchill. 

But yeah, borrow the bf's coat as long as it doesn't have rips/stains and doesn't look comically huge on you. Dress in layers. Maybe bring a scarf and gloves too. If you aren't used to the cold, it will probably feel worse for you. For shoes, I would suggest either rain boots and then change into flats/heels once inside, or wear a nice pair of leather (or leather-looking) boots. Suede is a bad idea if there's going to be rain. 

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Hahahaha oh dear.... I'm glad I am "lucky" this time!

I have some just above ankle height black leather looking booties I think I'll wear. I also have some black oxfords but they're quite flimsy and probably wouldn't hold up in the rain... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, yash13177 said:

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Hahahaha oh dear.... I'm glad I am "lucky" this time!

I have some just above ankle height black leather looking booties I think I'll wear. I also have some black oxfords but they're quite flimsy and probably wouldn't hold up in the rain... 

The black ankle boots with dress pants should look good! That's actually what I wore for interviewing last year. Just make sure they still look professional with pants (your pants aren't too short where you can see the socks when standing or something). 

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Northern gal, I second the suggestion for hella LAYERS and a thick outer coat over your blazer.  No one will judge you for bundling up as long as your coat doesn't drag on the ground, haha!! 

I'm assuming you're going to Tufts based on your signature... The Boston area is really quite windy, so I would really recommend a warm hat, gloves, and maybe a scarf. RE: rain, from my experience, the wind here can sometimes break your umbrella, so I generally don't bother carrying one.  Watch out for salt/mud in the roads on your nice ankle boots. 
Take care and good luck, you're gonna nail this :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Hk328 said:

Just make sure they still look professional with pants (your pants aren't too short where you can see the socks when standing or something.

You also can't overestimate the value of a good thick pair of socks. I know it sounds minimal but it's incredibly difficult to focus/be in a good mood when your toes are cold and if it's damp and cold outside you'll definitely feel it. Wool is a good material and if you get them in black they're a lot less noticeable even if they do peak out a bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was me last year. I had no idea what to do/wear. The above suggestions are great, but I just wanted to say that you should be aware when you're there of whether you can actually handle living in that weather. I had one interview where it was 23F and snowing and everyone was saying we were lucky it was so warm that weekend and I was like wtf this is warm?! Didn't end up picking that school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.