Audiology 2019 Canada

Audiology2019

• 1 month later...

Hey! Somehow no onen has replied to this thread. I'll be the first one to break the silence.

I applied to UBC and UWO for 2019 cycle. It's my second time applying. I was waitlisted for both schools back in 2015. I am a so called "non-traditional" applicant and it's been a journey! I have a bachelor's in Spanish and taught adult before I decided to change my career. I applied to several American schools this time and got accepted to two programs so far so I'm hoping I'll have better luck with the Canadian schools this time around.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:51 AM, MBLBPB said:

Hey! Somehow no onen has replied to this thread. I'll be the first one to break the silence.

I applied to UBC and UWO for 2019 cycle. It's my second time applying. I was waitlisted for both schools back in 2015. I am a so called "non-traditional" applicant and it's been a journey! I have a bachelor's in Spanish and taught adult before I decided to change my career. I applied to several American schools this time and got accepted to two programs so far so I'm hoping I'll have better luck with the Canadian schools this time around.

Hey! Was the process to apply for American schools a lot different from applying to Canadian programs? I applied to UBC and Dalhousie this year, but if I don't get in, I may consider applying for the American programs. 

8 hours ago, tr_fz said:

Hey! Was the process to apply for American schools a lot different from applying to Canadian programs? I applied to UBC and Dalhousie this year, but if I don't get in, I may consider applying for the American programs. 

It was pretty similar. I used a portal and only applied to the schools which participated because I could send transcripts only once to the portal (some universities request originals after you get admitted). Most schools want you to fill out extra app on their website and pay a separate fee but it was not too complicated and fees were pretty low. I paid between $35 and $105. 

I feel like American schools are more open-minded. If you are a non-traditional applicant like me, you might have a better shot with American schools. I attended a graduate certificate program and most American schools included it in GPA calculation and regarded my practicum experience very relevant. That's probably why I have been accepted to three schools so far. I'm waiting to hear from two more schools and I am happy that I can actually get to choose where to attend. A caveat is American schools are much more expensive than Canadian ones so you'll incur more student debt. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Hey,

Thanks so much for replying to this thread I created back in January. 

This is my first time applying. I never wrote the GRE, so I only applied to UBC and Western. I am currently doing an MSc (research based), but decided I wanted something more clinical, which is why I applied to audiology. It's really unfortunate that Canadian schools don't take master level courses into consideration for your subGPA (last 20 courses). Does anyone know if it has any benefit to your application? 

MBLBPB, Congrats on getting accepted to American schools!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I applied for the Audiology program for Fall 2019 at Dalhousie this year. I'm hoping more people will find this thread so we can all have a nice chat, as I only found it after some very thorough searching. I'm pretty nervous since I only applied to one program at one school, but I'm trying to stay confident because I feel great about my application! The only thing that isn't too stellar is my GRE score, but my score was in the average. My cGPA is currently a 4.02, and my GPA for my last 20 courses is 4.09. 

They let me know that decisions will be made from mid-March to mid-April, and it is officially mid-March so I'm getting excited!!! I will come back to post whether I get accepted or not and I hope others do the same. Does anybody know how many people they typically accept?

Looking forward to hearing from some others who have applied to Dal, and good luck to all! :)

Hi hopefuls!

I'm glad to have found this forum, thanks @Audiology2019 for creating this thread. It's nice to share our experiences and support each other during this stressful time.

I also applied to just UBC and Western. I have just the neuroanatomy prerequisite to complete for UBC, which I was hoping to take this summer but the course filled up before my registration time. I'm feeling pretty disheartened, but hoping to find an alternative course that I can complete by September. 

@FutureAudiologist I wish you the best of luck with Dal!! Let us know what the decision is :)

@MBLBPB congrats on getting accepted to American Universities! I wish I applied, but there's always next year... 

Congrats to both of you for getting into UBC!  I graduated from that program 10 years ago and it was a great program and I've had a great career in Audiology.  I would definitely go to UBC over going to the States.  The instructors and practical experiences were great, not to mention how much time and money you can save by going to a Canadian school.  

On 3/22/2019 at 6:52 PM, tr_fz said:

Accepted to UBC as well just now! Waiting for Dalhousie. Good luck every one. 

Congrats! I'm still pretty torn between UBC and another US program, which offers me a grant to cover 2 years of tuition. I'll be pulling my hair until April 15 for sure.

Who knows, maybe we will be classmates!

Edited by MBLBPB

8 hours ago, MBLBPB said:

Congrats! I'm still pretty torn between UBC and another US program, which offers me a grant to cover 2 years of tuition. I'll be pulling my hair until April 15 for sure.

Who knows, maybe we will be classmates!

That's a tough decision to make especially if they cover 2 years of tuition! But US programs are 4 years right? Either way, congrats and maybe see you in the fall! 

Congrats to both of you for getting in!! I remember when I had to choose between a Canadian and states schools.. I ended up doing my masters in the states because it gave me scholarships. For anyone who's received offers for scholarships, honestly take it!! because I realized that States have more opportunities after graduation compared to my Canadian friends who completed their masters in Canada. 

I am going to disagree with PAEPAE on job prospects and scholarships - at least for the field currently. Although in the states you do get the AuD, it is still going to be another 2 years of school over the MSc. If you don't want to stay in the states, there is no need for the AuD - and if you ever want to in the future, you can always upgrade from the MSc. Currently the state of the job market in Canada is pretty great. I am in second year right now (uwo) and honestly, anyone who has put in effort into trying to get a job offer has - and with good pay. This is even the case for those who are wanting to work in Toronto which, in comparison to almost any other place in canada, is fairly saturated. 

Also, if anyone has questions about Western at all, feel free to message me.

Edited by piylo

I would agree the job market is pretty good.  I get contacted at least once every couple of months by recruiters.  It's true you can take online courses to upgrade the MSc to the AuD.  One possible advantage in the states is there may be more opportunities for the less common jobs in audiology like cochlear implants, research, teaching college or university courses related to audiology, and vestibular assessment/rehab.  But I'm not certain if this is the case.  

5 hours ago, Student123456 said:

Hi! I'm also applying to Audiology for 2019 at UWO. This is my second time applying, because I was waitlisted last year. I'm super nervous about getting waitlisted again this year. If you don't mind me asking, what are your guy's gpa and experiences?

I have a subGPA of 3.37... not great but I'm taking courses as a non-degree student this year to upgrade my GPA for next year if I don't get in. I also have 100ish volunteering at an audiology clinic, and I volunteered at a hospital, speech therapy clinic, Montessori school, and research lab. Would you mind sharing your stats from last year that got you waitlisted at Western? Thanks!

On 3/29/2019 at 5:30 PM, sh. said:

I have a subGPA of 3.37... not great but I'm taking courses as a non-degree student this year to upgrade my GPA for next year if I don't get in. I also have 100ish volunteering at an audiology clinic, and I volunteered at a hospital, speech therapy clinic, Montessori school, and research lab. Would you mind sharing your stats from last year that got you waitlisted at Western? Thanks!

Hi! I have a subGPA of 3.62 and 30 hours of volunteering in an Audiology clinic.

Hello all,

Wanted to mention I also heard back from Dalhousie with a recommendation for acceptance. Fingers crossed I'll get an acceptance letter from their FGS (Faculty of Graduate Studies) soon. 

Waiting to hear back from UWO...

Congratulations to the above two, @mam045 and @FutureAudiologist. Are you guys from Toronto? Wondering what residential plans you guys had for my reference :)