Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Sup everyone,

My name is Elia and I applied for a Master in Robotics, Systems and Control at ETH. I also applied for the ESOP scholarship.

I thought it would be nice to start a new thread for this year's waiting process, in order to share our interviews (if any), advice, etc.

Let's see if this works :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Long and AbdulBasit,

Sorry for my late reply :).

I did not receive an email regarding your replies, hehe.

Nice. Anyone got any news?

I spoke with few people who got the ESOP regarding the interview process, and their interview was late January early February.

What are your backgrounds?

Btw, there has been a serious typo on my first message, my name is Ilyass :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to get an interview for the ESOP but then receiving a rejection letter for the master program? Or is that if we get the interview invitation we are pretty much certain that we get accepted for the master program? Anyone has any idea about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WLin said:

Is it possible to get an interview for the ESOP but then receiving a rejection letter for the master program? Or is that if we get the interview invitation we are pretty much certain that we get accepted for the master program? Anyone has any idea about this?

I think they first select x candidates (which should be the ones getting the ESOP) and they carry out the interviews. Unless some of them screws badly, I reckon they should get it.

However, there have been people who got ESOP without interviewing. So I guess it varies a lot. :)

You got an interview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, itaouil said:

I think they first select x candidates (which should be the ones getting the ESOP) and they carry out the interviews. Unless some of them screws badly, I reckon they should get it.

However, there have been people who got ESOP without interviewing. So I guess it varies a lot. :)

You got an interview?

Yes I had my interview on the 22nd. I applied to the Earth Science MS. Also, do you know if they send out acceptance letters separately (for master and ESOP) or do they send together at mid March? I saw people in the forum saying they got master acceptance but haven't heard about ESOP in the threads in previous years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WLin said:

Yes I had my interview on the 22nd. I applied to the Earth Science MS. Also, do you know if they send out acceptance letters separately (for master and ESOP) or do they send together at mid March? I saw people in the forum saying they got master acceptance but haven't heard about ESOP in the threads in previous years.

The people I have heard from received it separately. A couple of days of gap, I guess.

Can I ask what kind of questions they asked you, and how long was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, itaouil said:

The people I have heard from received it separately. A couple of days of gap, I guess.

Can I ask what kind of questions they asked you, and how long was it?

It was 30 mins in length, the questions they asked were pretty much the same as what people mentioned in the threads for previous years, about the thesis proposal you wrote and some questions about the area of research you are interested in. I guess there isn't really a "list of questions" they were suppose to ask, but rather it's more individually based questions according to the materials you submitted. They also asked about other schools you applied to and how would you put eth in the ranking order of preference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WLin said:

It was 30 mins in length, the questions they asked were pretty much the same as what people mentioned in the threads for previous years, about the thesis proposal you wrote and some questions about the area of research you are interested in. I guess there isn't really a "list of questions" they were suppose to ask, but rather it's more individually based questions according to the materials you submitted. They also asked about other schools you applied to and how would you put eth in the ranking order of preference. 

I see.

All the best :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 6:10 PM, WLin said:

Yes I had my interview on the 22nd. I applied to the Earth Science MS. Also, do you know if they send out acceptance letters separately (for master and ESOP) or do they send together at mid March? I saw people in the forum saying they got master acceptance but haven't heard about ESOP in the threads in previous years.

Great to know that you got an invitation for interview. 

Can you share your academic profile? like publications, work experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cause i am studying now in Germany. I got 0 research experience and that means i dont even know how to write a preproposal..........BTW, i also applied for MSc RSC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MoyGcc said:

Cause i am studying now in Germany. I got 0 research experience and that means i dont even know how to write a preproposal..........BTW, i also applied for MSc RSC

Sup,

 

Nice. Did you apply for ESOP anyway?

 

What was your tutor choice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, itaouil said:

Sup,

 

 Nice. Did you apply for ESOP anyway?

 

 What was your tutor choice?

Dude, i dont even know what kind of proposal i should write, of course didn't apply for ESOP/MSP.  I have choosed D‘Andrea, Van Gool and Buhmann.  How about u?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MoyGcc said:

Dude, i dont even know what kind of proposal i should write, of course didn't apply for ESOP/MSP.  I have choosed D‘Andrea, Van Gool and Buhmann.  How about u?

I chose Hutter, Frazzoli and Chli :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 2:58 PM, AbdulBasitMirza said:

Great to know that you got an invitation for interview. 

Can you share your academic profile? like publications, work experience?

GPA 3.80~3.85, GRE V157 Q168 W4.0, no publication, but one paper in progress that might get published. No work exp, some summer intern, member of university's honors college. Undergraduate with double major and double minor.

Edited by WLin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!

Thank you @itaouil for opening the discussion for this year. :) 

I also applied to MTEC + ESOP/MSP @LongC :) I received no response yet (admissions+ESOP). 

Expecting a good news, fingers crossed ;) Good luck everyone!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PravSil said:

Hey!

Thank you @itaouil for opening the discussion for this year. :)

I also applied to MTEC + ESOP/MSP @LongC :) I received no response yet (admissions+ESOP). 

Expecting a good news, fingers crossed ;) Good luck everyone!!!

Welcome onboard @PravSil :).

I also received no feedback on ESOP/MSP and my master application, yet :).

Matter of time I guess :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 5:37 AM, WLin said:

Is it possible to get an interview for the ESOP but then receiving a rejection letter for the master program? Or is that if we get the interview invitation we are pretty much certain that we get accepted for the master program? Anyone has any idea about this?

Well, hello WLin! I am surprised to find another receiver of the ESOP interview here! On the same date and for the same major. I choose Geophysics. May I know yours? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aang said:

Well, hello WLin! I am surprised to find another receiver of the ESOP interview here! On the same date and for the same major. I choose Geophysics. May I know yours? 

You also an interview for ESOP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aang said:

Well, hello WLin! I am surprised to find another receiver of the ESOP interview here! On the same date and for the same major. I choose Geophysics. May I know yours? 

You can be double surprised now! I'm also applying to Geophysics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious why Electrical Department has not started interviewing. Didn't heard about any Electrical Engineering applicant getting an invitation for interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.