2019 Acceptances

It's about that time I suppose! I was notified via email from the chair of graduate studies of my acceptance to U of Illinois- Urbana Champaign PhD program...."champaign" befits this evening's festivities for me! Good luck to everyone...it's getting real!

Congrats on the acceptance!! That is amazing.

Does anyone have any insight to how the admissions decisions roll out? For example, I applied to UIUC for their MA program. The deadline was the same. Does that mean I should be worried if I don't hear back soon from them? Also, generally speaking, will their be an email or portal update first? My portal for them still says awaiting decision right now. 

15 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

Congrats on the acceptance!! That is amazing.

Does anyone have any insight to how the admissions decisions roll out? For example, I applied to UIUC for their MA program. The deadline was the same. Does that mean I should be worried if I don't hear back soon from them? Also, generally speaking, will their be an email or portal update first? My portal for them still says awaiting decision right now. 

UIUC generally sends out acceptances to people they've nominated for a graduate school fellowship first. Followed by department assistantships with waivers. Last cycle, rejections came afterwards. They didn't send out waitlists as far as I'm aware but did send out acceptances if a spot became open. I think they send out MA and PHD programs at the same time but I'm not sure if MA applicants are eligible for as many fellowships due to the length of some of the fellowships.

42 minutes ago, Warelin said:

UIUC generally sends out acceptances to people they've nominated for a graduate school fellowship first. Followed by department assistantships with waivers. Last cycle, rejections came afterwards. They didn't send out waitlists as far as I'm aware but did send out acceptances if a spot became open. I think they send out MA and PHD programs at the same time but I'm not sure if MA applicants are eligible for as many fellowships due to the length of some of the fellowships.

Thank you so much for the response! Fingers crossed!

Thank you @Matthew3957 , @illcounsel, and @mandelbulb! Also I can confirm that @Warelin is correct about the order in which acceptances are sent out regarding the PhD program. Not quite sure about the MA. I received an acceptance email from the DGS, however, my portal still says "awaiting decision," so I'm guessing that they notify early via email first before posting acceptances .

Edited by Englishtea1

23 minutes ago, theotherbrontesister said:

ah!!! SUNY Buffalo! I wonder if they all went out today! Disappointed but congrats to every one who got in! 

I definitely could be wrong, but I have heard that Buffalo sometimes notifies applicants who receive university fellowships first, and then other acceptances and waitlists later. I also applied and am holding out hope! 

3 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

I definitely could be wrong, but I have heard that Buffalo sometimes notifies applicants who receive university fellowships first, and then other acceptances and waitlists later. I also applied and am holding out hope! 

this is good to know! thanks! 

3 hours ago, natalielouise said:

If they follow previous years, I'd expect more acceptances to come at the end of the month. I don't think Buffalo is done notifying applicants so I see a lot of reason for hope for applicants still waiting to hear back. The beginning of the month is usually schools notifying about interviews/special fellowships which are awarded to a very small percentage of the class. :)

I will verify as a person who was accepted to Buffalo many years ago and attended their recruiting event that they have a very juicy "Presidential Fellowship" that they award a couple of weeks in advance of all of the regular admittees. Indeed, during my visit I roomed with that lucky recipient. If I recall correctly, it's on the order of $30k/yr in a city with a relatively low cost of living, so bully for whoever got it!

Edited by jrockford27

yes OMG it's me!

It's an invitation to fill out a doodle poll for availability for Skype interviews.

-- I'm also the Yale Comp Lit interviewee if anyone has been wondering about that!

I expected to hear nothing for at least another month but this has turned out to be an INSANE day!!

Edited by FiguresIII

Just now, beardedlady said:

I also just got this email but have no idea what it means since it seems totally tentative. Don't want to get my hopes up...

Yea well I'm still not sure it's something all applicants received because it's not the DGS or a POI emailing... Maybe I'll retract that results post hahah