2019 Acceptances

3 minutes ago, aporeticpoetic said:

Anyone know if Columbia interviews all of their prospective candidates? 

I have a friend who interviewed with Columbia last year and did not get admitted. She told me afterwards that the questions asked of her were with respect to her project and its suitability for the school. I have another friend who did not interview with Columbia and was admitted directly to their PhD in English. It would seem, then, that Columbia does not interview all prospective candidates.

(It should be noted, however: she was an American student, he was Canadian. Perhaps they do not interview international applicants? Hard to tell.)

2 hours ago, FiguresIII said:

Wow just got an invite to Duke's 2nd round! I was totally convinced I was out. Anyone else got news?

Not really enough funding for me to actually attend though, coming from Europe...

Congrats!!!!

I haven't heard anything from Duke. I am sure that I am out oh well.

17 hours ago, Eucerin said:

@sad_diamond Thank you!!! :) I really like the program and can't be more happy. But I am still kind of worry about the funding situation ?

Anyone know anything about Berkeley rhetoric funding?

As a current Berkeley grad student (not in Rhetoric, thankfully), don't do it unless you get a Mellon or something. Funding and teaching are distributed very unevenly in the department—some admitted students have to teach from their first semester onward—and research funding for graduate students was recently cut entirely. 

3 hours ago, aporeticpoetic said:

Anyone know if Columbia interviews all of their prospective candidates? 

My understanding is that the medieval camp interviews (perhaps some others) but not at all specializations. While being interviewed is probably a good sign that you’re being considered, it doesn’t seem to be a prerequisite like Emory or Chicago.

3 hours ago, poliscar said:

As a current Berkeley grad student (not in Rhetoric, thankfully), don't do it unless you get a Mellon or something. Funding and teaching are distributed very unevenly in the department—some admitted students have to teach from their first semester onward—and research funding for graduate students was recently cut entirely. 

Thank you! I will keep it in mind; ultimately, it depends on what they can offer me and what my other options are. I am really hoping berkeley can give me something competitive ... my professors and advisors seem to value the prestige of the school on the job market...

Congrats to those who found out about interviews, waitlists & acceptances today!!

Quick question: what does "GPA is MA" mean? I get that "MA" is obviously "Master's," but what's the significance? Never seen that outside of this site.

3 minutes ago, WildeingOut said:

Congrats to those who found out about interviews, waitlists & acceptances today!!

Quick question: what does "GPA is MA" mean? I get that "MA" is obviously "Master's," but what's the significance? Never seen that outside of this site.

I’ve always interpreted as the GPA they’ve listed is their MA GPA rather than their BA GPA. 

12 minutes ago, WildeingOut said:

From what I can tell expectations for MA grades are quite different than those for BA. Like a 3.0 for MA is pretty not great, whereas a 4.0 is fairly typical.

(correct me if I’m wrong, this is just what I’ve inferred from posts on this site)

15 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

From what I can tell expectations for MA grades are quite different than those for BA. Like a 3.0 for MA is pretty not great, whereas a 4.0 is fairly typical.

(correct me if I’m wrong, this is just what I’ve inferred from posts on this site)

That sounds right to me. I know in my program, at least, if you make below a B it’s considered failing. So, a 3.0 would be the lowest you could get and still have passed all your classes. 

15 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

The poster may be having the same issue as me -- I don't actually see any GPAs or any other stats on the results page, but maybe I'm just being an idiot.  

Just now, Renzo said:

The poster may be having the same issue as me -- I don't actually see any GPAs or any other stats on the results page, but maybe I'm just being an idiot.  

If you click the red diamond icon it’ll show you. 

1 hour ago, dilby said:

Waitlisted at Rice!!!

Congrats, that's really awesome! I'm still impatiently waiting to hear from them, and it seems to me that  they're not following their previous notification pattern (yes, I'm now researching patterns). I mean, I assume it's a no, but hoping for a maybe? Anyway, the department looks super cool, I'm crossing my fingers for you ?

For people waiting on Chicago, they’re closed until midday tomorrow so I’m assuming things are delayed (they had said Wed/Thurs but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s later). 

35 minutes ago, swarthmawr said:

For people waiting on Chicago, they’re closed until midday tomorrow so I’m assuming things are delayed (they had said Wed/Thurs but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s later). 

I wish I'd thought of the weather myself. I just found out Northwestern was closed today and doesn't reopen until noon tomorrow. I sat around all day in anticipation from nothing lol

44 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

@swarthmawr yeah this morning a bunch of us were talking about that but Warelin said last year there were acceptances even if the school was closed, so you never know!!

Oops, sorry for the repeat post then! 

@mwils15 lol me too, then my mom asked if they’d even be in office today and I was like... oh. Duh. :)