2019 Acceptances

I got an admissions call from UM Columbia today and I AM STILL SHAKING! This program is tied for my top choice and I can hardly think. 

The trouble is, they invited me to their admitted visit day, where CLAUDIA RANKINE will be reading, and they offered to help fund the trip. I've got time to decide and wait for the letter, but I know work will not allow me to take the time off. I'm planning a very large event for 1,000+ people for the same day and simply can't do anything about it. Is it appropriate to let the program know this and ask if I might schedule an alternate time to visit?

1 hour ago, MayliC said:

Is it appropriate to let the program know this and ask if I might schedule an alternate time to visit?

Absolutely. Explain that you are not able to make it but are super interested. I have seen many posts where people got alternative dates to visit. It wouldn't be out of the norm at all!

55 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

Absolutely. Explain that you are not able to make it but are super interested. I have seen many posts where people got alternative dates to visit. It wouldn't be out of the norm at all!

Thank you! This is very comforting to know. Congrats on your acceptances!

6 hours ago, MayliC said:

I got an admissions call from UM Columbia today and I AM STILL SHAKING! This program is tied for my top choice and I can hardly think. 

The trouble is, they invited me to their admitted visit day, where CLAUDIA RANKINE will be reading, and they offered to help fund the trip. I've got time to decide and wait for the letter, but I know work will not allow me to take the time off. I'm planning a very large event for 1,000+ people for the same day and simply can't do anything about it. Is it appropriate to let the program know this and ask if I might schedule an alternate time to visit?

I would do anything to meet Rankine, even if it meant getting accepted for a PhD to have the chance.

6 hours ago, WildeThing said:

I would do anything to meet Rankine, even if it meant getting accepted for a PhD to have the chance.

Honestly, I am incredibly disappointed  that I won't be able to make that weekend. I would lose my job, however, and I'll need it if I'm going to move somewhere for a PhD. ? 

congrats @illcounsel, and @trytostay for the columbia interview!!! 

i haven't had any more acceptances but i DO have an interview for cambridge, which is also exciting! it's scheduled for lunchtime so that should be an interesting break from work :P 

1 hour ago, trytostay said:

Hello! I just made this account. I've really been trying to stay off the forums.

I got an interview at Columbia. They aren't common from what I'm gathering, but I was told I was on the shortlist of potential candidates which is cool and thoroughly unexpected. 

What is your area? Trying to confirm the hypothesis that medievalists and early modernists are the ones that get interviewed there. Do you know who is interviewing you?

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

What is your area? Trying to confirm the hypothesis that medievalists and early modernists are the ones that get interviewed there. Do you know who is interviewing you?

Eighteenth-century British and yes I do! 

My friend (also c18 British and same alma mater) was interviewed last year as well. She was given an offer. 

Edited by trytostay

3 hours ago, illcounsel said:

Just got a wonderful acceptance call from Saint Louis University (MA). They are also nominating me for a Diversity Fellowship which is very sweet news. YAY

I just got the kindest email letting me know I am on the wait list at SLU!  Really hoping a spot opens up; the DGS seems so nice and understanding.  

Edit:  Also, Congratulations!  :)

Edited by dntblnk11

7 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

do i see ucsd literature acceptances? if so, congrats to those people!

Uncloaking to say one of those is mine. Thanks! It was my only solidly Literature program this round, and a long shot - I came to it via a pretty nontraditional path. But it's a good place for me and I'll likely say Yes.

6 minutes ago, mandelbulb said:

uh i had pretty much accepted that i'd be shut-out, but i'm admitted at UCSD too...

41 minutes ago, Bottle-o-Red said:

Uncloaking to say one of those is mine. Thanks! It was my only solidly Literature program this round, and a long shot - I came to it via a pretty nontraditional path. But it's a good place for me and I'll likely say Yes.

Congrats to both of you!

1 hour ago, dntblnk11 said:

I just got the kindest email letting me know I am on the wait list at SLU!  Really hoping a spot opens up; the DGS seems so nice and understanding.  

Edit:  Also, Congratulations!  :)

She has been super kind throughout the whole process!!! Are you PhD or MA at SLU????? I wonder how the waitlist works. As in, is there a MA and PhD waitlist or are they combined?

46 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

She has been super kind throughout the whole process!!! Are you PhD or MA at SLU????? I wonder how the waitlist works. As in, is there a MA and PhD waitlist or are they combined?

MA (and then hopefully to PhD)! I’m finishing my bachelor’s up right now. 

Her email made it seem like it’s a funding issue; she said they are basically rolling out acceptances a few at a time instead of their usual method (offering funding to more candidates than they have room for). She said it’ll be a small cohort this year. 

1 hour ago, ExileFromAFutureTime said:

Congrats to the UCSD admits! Sadly, I learned about the program the day after its deadline, and so couldn't apply. I was impressed with the program's transnational focus and can't wait to see what you all do there. 

That transnational reach is what brought them to my attention. And that early deadline was a challenge, so I completely sympathize. Thanks for the well wishes!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted :)

To that Irvine admit, please feel free to send me a PM. I too am applying to UCI English

I just got a phone call today from the program as well, but want to confirm just in case. I may have been unofficially accepted as well but I don't want to take my chances. I'm not the one on the board but I also got a phone call.

EDIT: Just posted mine up on the results board. This is surreal and my emotions are everywhere.

Edited by Ranmaag
update