2019 Acceptances

9 minutes ago, veroniquea said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think there have been official acceptances yet. They invited some of us down for a "prospective students weekend" which seems also to be another round of interviews.

Otherwise, nothing official from the program, though I had a POI reach out to me to introduce herself as she won't be in Durham when I visit.

Thanks for the reply! When were you invited to the weekend? I was wondering if they've given out all the invitations to the weekend already or is there still a chance they might invite others.

18 minutes ago, Camus said:

Thanks for the reply! When were you invited to the weekend? I was wondering if they've given out all the invitations to the weekend already or is there still a chance they might invite others.

I got an invitation the day after my interview. I think they've sent out all the invites, as they wanted to know by last Monday whether I'd be visiting or not in order to make arrangements.

2 hours ago, poliscar said:

I'd have to disagree. I negotiated a higher offer from a fully-funded program (in relation to an offer from another) and it was treated as a totally normal part of the procedure. I was also told by the DGS of the second program to email him if any programs offered me more money. Obviously you don't want to be too aggressive or pushy, but I think it's difficult to come across that way when a lot of programs expect a sort of miniature "bidding war" for students. I'd also say that there are clear upper-limits to funding; while a lot of programs will ask you to forward your highest offer to them, not many will match a stipend like Stanford's. 

TLDR: ASK FOR MORE MONEY

Following up on this, are there any non-monetary things to be negotiated? At my undergrad institution, there's a bit of a housing crisis so I know that incoming grad students would negotiate for a guarantee into graduate housing (heavily subsidized) because there's a waitlist. However, I'm not sure if there are any other things people should consider when negotiating. 

2 hours ago, sugilite said:

Following up on this, are there any non-monetary things to be negotiated? At my undergrad institution, there's a bit of a housing crisis so I know that incoming grad students would negotiate for a guarantee into graduate housing (heavily subsidized) because there's a waitlist. However, I'm not sure if there are any other things people should consider when negotiating. 

I can't speak directly from experience here, but I'd imagine that most things outside of direct monetary funding would be more difficult, since they'd likely be more out of the control of the department. You might be looking at broader graduate school decisions for housing, etc. Teaching might be something you could negotiate, but sometimes that is also tied to a source external to the department, like a "writing centre" or something. I have heard of people negotiating for some smaller, but significant perks, like extra language/conference/research funds,  etc. That said, those probably aren't things to be concerned about unless all of your offers are pretty similar financially.

Anybody have any idea about the way acceptances work at NYU? For ex: Do they only make phone calls? Or is it possible to get an acceptance w/o a call? Also, anyone know about how many students get accepted? I couldn't find that info anywhere. 

I'm in at Georgetown with no departmental funding. I've just emailed someone with the department to see if there's a chance I might be offered funding later (if one of their funded admits accepts an offer elsewhere). Not the result I was hoping for, but better than a rejection I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Renzo said:

Got an email that I've been recommended for admission to Georgetown's MA program.  No funding as of yet, but it seems as if there's still a possibility something will come through.  Pretty pumped to have some good news!  

Did they say something about you being waitlisted for funding or did they refer you to people who might be able to help you find other funding sources (which is what happened in my case)

54 minutes ago, theotherbrontesister said:

Anybody have any idea about the way acceptances work at NYU? For ex: Do they only make phone calls? Or is it possible to get an acceptance w/o a call? Also, anyone know about how many students get accepted? I couldn't find that info anywhere. 

My POI told me they accepted 15 people this year. 

30 minutes ago, mwils15 said:

Did they say something about you being waitlisted for funding or did they refer you to people who might be able to help you find other funding sources (which is what happened in my case)

Not sure if it's exactly a waitlist situation; they said I wasn't in the initial round of funding, but I'm in consideration if something becomes available.  

2 minutes ago, Renzo said:

Not sure if it's exactly a waitlist situation; they said I wasn't in the initial round of funding, but I'm in consideration if something becomes available.  

Okay; thanks for the info!

Hey y'all! First thing this morning I checked my inbox and was surprised to find an acceptance from U of Michigan! I posted the result. For those who applied be on the lookout as I guess acceptances are going out today. 

3 minutes ago, Englishtea1 said:

Hey y'all! First thing this morning I checked my inbox and was surprised to find an acceptance from U of Michigan! I posted the result. For those who applied be on the lookout as I guess acceptances are going out today. 

Congrats!  Did they update your application portal as well!?  How exciting for you.