2019 Acceptances

Hey everyone-- anyone willing to claim a CUNY acceptance an enlighten us as to whether it was from a POI or a standard accept email? Wondering if I'm out of the game yet or not, and see that last year CUNY notified over a couple of days via POIs. 

I'm hoping and praying, as I thought I had great fit...

@barshmie Hello! I'm one of the CUNY acceptances. I received an email from a professor in my primary field (curiously, not one of my POIs), which says official letters will be issued "in the coming days." It seems the profs are sending out personalized emails, so that may explain the lag between acceptances. All the best to you and those waiting to hear back!

2 minutes ago, simile said:

@barshmie Hello! I'm one of the CUNY acceptances. I received an email from a professor in my primary field (curiously, not one of my POIs), which says official letters will be issued "in the coming days." It seems the profs are sending out personalized emails, so that may explain the lag between acceptances. All the best to you and those waiting to hear back!

Hi Congrats!! That's amazing, CUNY is a great program filled with some of the best professors and resources, I did my undergraduate there. Do you mind sharing your field of study? 

10 minutes ago, theotherbrontesister said:

Hi Congrats!! That's amazing, CUNY is a great program filled with some of the best professors and resources, I did my undergraduate there. Do you mind sharing your field of study? 

Greetings and thanks, @theotherbrontesister! It really sounds like a great program. I applied as an Early Modernist with an emphasis on Milton. Hope you hear back from CUNY with good news!

I'm sorry but FUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK, you guys,  I am invited to SMU's PhD visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sobbing and screaming and SO THRILLED!

Happy birthday to me!!!!!!!

Edited by kendalldinniene
Interview doesn't mean acceptance, I think historically it's 12 invites to interview and 6 actual offers

2 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I'm sorry but FUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK, you guys,  I am invited to SMU's PhD visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sobbing and screaming and SO THRILLED!

OH MY GOD I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU YESSSSSSS

(I also got this email!)

9 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

YES this is so good for you! Happy birthday!!! You deserve all the best and my fingers are crossed for you!

26 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Great news! Congrats!! 

39 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Congratulations on the invite!

4 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

This has been the most realistic (and probably how I would have reacted) reaction ever on this forum :) I hope you all the best with the visit!

7 minutes ago, Hopeful and Not said:

This has been the most realistic (and probably how I would have reacted) reaction ever on this forum :) I hope you all the best with the visit!

Hahahaha, thank you!

And thanks also to @Sav and @Warelin.  I really don't know what I'd do without the support of this forum.

24 minutes ago, Sav said:

Woke up to an acceptance from CUNY! :) 

Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking, did they give you any information on cohort size, etc? I haven't received an email yet and am keeping my fingers crossed for one today, but it's feeling like a no on my end! 

12 minutes ago, effietheant said:

Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking, did they give you any information on cohort size, etc? I haven't received an email yet and am keeping my fingers crossed for one today, but it's feeling like a no on my end! 

Thanks! No, they didn’t but I feel like I’ve heard CUNY admits a rather large cohort, somewhere around 20 students. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, I received a personal email from a professor at 9:18pm CST so I think it’s fair to assume they are notifying individually, at various times.

Fingers crossed for you!! Good luck! 

6 hours ago, monsterheart said:

How much do you think funding matters in deciding acceptances/rejections? Like, one can get rejected if there isn't sufficient funding opps. to be offered? 

I’d say funding and job placement are the reasons programs admit very small cohorts now. 

7 hours ago, monsterheart said:

How much do you think funding matters in deciding acceptances/rejections? Like, one can get rejected if there isn't sufficient funding opps. to be offered? 

Hey!

I'd say it's pretty important. I originally applied to Comp Lit at Cornell. About two weeks ago a very kind professor called me. He told me that Cornell's Comp Lit Department only had 2 spots, which I think is ludicrous. Anyway, he told me that I was not accepted to Compt Lit, but that my application was referred to Romance Studies, where I was accepted (he told me they had a lot more places). In short, I think that ad comms recurrently come across wonderful applicants whom they wish to accept, but financial issues prevent them from doing so.

Hope that helps.