2019 Acceptances

7 minutes ago, trytostay said:

Accepted to UVA! I am in shock and ecstatic. 

That is so exciting!!! Congrats!

Also, was it by phone or email?

Edited by Sav

2 hours ago, Sav said:

Thanks! No, they didn’t but I feel like I’ve heard CUNY admits a rather large cohort, somewhere around 20 students. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, I received a personal email from a professor at 9:18pm CST so I think it’s fair to assume they are notifying individually, at various times.

Fingers crossed for you!! Good luck! 

I spoke with my POI at CUNY in the fall and she said they only admit 8-10 students a year for the PhD but ???? Who knows and congratulations!!! 

2 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

I spoke with my POI at CUNY in the fall and she said they only admit 8-10 students a year for the PhD but ???? Who knows and congratulations!!! 

Lol oops!! I must be wrong then!! Not sure where I remember that from, thanks for clearing it up!!

1 hour ago, DocSportello said:

Hey!

I'd say it's pretty important. I originally applied to Comp Lit at Cornell. About two weeks ago a very kind professor called me. He told me that Cornell's Comp Lit Department only had 2 spots, which I think is ludicrous. Anyway, he told me that I was not accepted to Compt Lit, but that my application was referred to Romance Studies, where I was accepted (he told me they had a lot more places). In short, I think that ad comms recurrently come across wonderful applicants whom they wish to accept, but financial issues prevent them from doing so.

Hope that helps.

omg 2 spots. that actually sounds scary

3 minutes ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Were the e-mail notifications for UVA acceptances form e-mails or personalized?

not the most personalized, but not completely form either. Mine was like a form email with a couple little deliberate substitution / edits for my stats and interests and stuff. 

6 hours ago, Sav said:

Lol oops!! I must be wrong then!! Not sure where I remember that from, thanks for clearing it up!!

Incorrect. CUNY English now admits 20 PhD students every academic year. It was significantly more (40?) a decade ago when the funding wasn't what it is now.
341 applied last year.
40 offers were initially made. (This includes 25 funded offers and 15 or so waitlisted offers.)
Our entering class was 20 when I came into the program for the Fall of 2017. This should not have changed, but we are now in talks to give offers to students who wish to pursue the program part-time. Do what you can with 26.1k though.

Edited by Zeromus1337

1 hour ago, Zeromus1337 said:

Incorrect. CUNY English now admits 20 PhD students every academic year. It was significantly more (40?) a decade ago when the funding wasn't what it is now.
341 applied last year.
40 offers were initially made. (This includes 25 funded offers and 15 or so waitlisted offers.)
Our entering class was 20 when I came into the program for the Fall of 2017. This should not have changed, but we are now in talks to give offers to students who wish to pursue the program part-time. Do what you can with 26.1k though.

Thanks for the info!

10 hours ago, DocSportello said:

Hey!

I'd say it's pretty important. I originally applied to Comp Lit at Cornell. About two weeks ago a very kind professor called me. He told me that Cornell's Comp Lit Department only had 2 spots, which I think is ludicrous. Anyway, he told me that I was not accepted to Compt Lit, but that my application was referred to Romance Studies, where I was accepted (he told me they had a lot more places). In short, I think that ad comms recurrently come across wonderful applicants whom they wish to accept, but financial issues prevent them from doing so.

Hope that helps.

**I feel like I should've posted my question on a different board... Sorry everyone!**

Thanks, @DocSportello. This is really helpful to know and plan in advance (for the next cycle...). Time for me to look into something-something Studies departments--hope the job placement at the "Studies" departments will hold out--

Officially heard back from all the schools I applied to (well, + one interview request, but for the sake of argument). I look forward to going through this process all over again in 20 years when I'm bored & itching for more suffering, & seeing which (out-of-state) schools I can, hopefully, get into (am I joking, probably not).

11 minutes ago, madandmoonly said:

Officially heard back from all the schools I applied to (well, + one interview request, but for the sake of argument). I look forward to going through this process all over again in 20 years when I'm bored & itching for more suffering, & seeing which (out-of-state) schools I can, hopefully, get into (am I joking, probably not).

You’ve had an awesome cycle @madandmoonly and I hope I get to meet you at SMU next month! Congrats!

12 minutes ago, madandmoonly said:

lmao I have one week to work through the fear the word "interview" instills in me so we'll see !!! haha

Hahaha believe me I understand that feel rn ???

Edited by kendalldinniene
Improper emoji use