2019 Acceptances

Posting from the afterlife bc I’m literally dead rn. 

Accepted to UT Austin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Email popped up while in a meeting with my advisor who happened to be emailing my primary POI all day. 

After, got a call from Alabama but couldn’t answer bc i was dead. 

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far, and especially to the CMU admit - I'm currently in the program and happy to chat! 

To everyone still waiting, there is - as they say - a lotta football left in the game, so seriously - don't panic. 

12 hours ago, effietheant said:

I'm so confused by the CMU admit! Is the "S19" a typo? I didn't think they had a Spring start date and if they did, wouldn't the semester have already started? Has anyone heard anything?

I'm almost certain that this person thought "S19 cycle" means "it is currently spring 2019" and they will be matriculating in the fall

26 minutes ago, effietheant said:

lol that makes me want to cry

Oh no! Only one acceptance to me suggests that there will definitely be more to come. Most of the programs have 5 or 6 posted acceptances and until that time I'd say they aren't done notifying :) 

8 hours ago, silenus_thescribe said:

Congrats to all y'all UT Austin admits! If you have any questions about the program, feel free to shoot me a PM; being here for grad school is definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made!

Do you by any chance know anything about the timeline for UT Austin American Studies? Or does anyone you know know? There are hardly people who post about it so I’m never sure. 

Congrats to everyone who got into English! 

28 minutes ago, j.alicea said:

@swarthmawr check the Interdisciplinaria studies board - they have a thread just for Am studies, and quite a few applied to UT, last I lurked...

Thanks! It was silent the last time I checked but it looks like it’s reawakened .

Wow! That Duke Lit interview was harrowing. First they were 20 minutes late, so I thought I'd missed the whole thing.

Then, Mark Hansen, Walter Mignolo and Michael Hardt interrogating you on the finer points of the argument in your SOP, your understanding of Marx, and the (to me unsuspected) implications of your own project--it's a very good way to convince you of your rejection. I'm going to join the Ben & Jerry's binge club here.

Edited by FiguresIII

1 minute ago, FiguresIII said:

Wow! That Duke Lit interview was harrowing. Mark Hansen, Walter Mignolo and Michael Hardt interrogating you on the finer points of the argument in your SOP, your understanding of Marx, and the (to me unsuspected) implications of your own project--it's a very good way to convince you of your rejection. I'm going to join the Ben & Jerry's binge club here.

I understand your horror. I experienced some of that in my Chicago interview. And, considering who was interviewing me, I was petrified. 

1 minute ago, snorkles said:

I understand your horror. I experienced some of that in my Chicago interview. And, considering who was interviewing me, I was petrified. 

I'm like: I'm applying here so I can learn to argue the kinds of questions you're asking me now! I want to go to Duke to get a good understanding of Marx, Professor Hardt!

4 minutes ago, FiguresIII said:

Wow! That Duke Lit interview was harrowing. First they were 20 minutes late, so I thought I'd missed the whole thing.

Then, Mark Hansen, Walter Mignolo and Michael Hardt interrogating you on the finer points of the argument in your SOP, your understanding of Marx, and the (to me unsuspected) implications of your own project--it's a very good way to convince you of your rejection. I'm going to join the Ben & Jerry's binge club here.

Oh god, I was so anxious that I'd screwed up the timing or the connection or something. Thank goodness they were just running a bit late!

I was definitely pretty anxious, but they at least seemed very friendly and down to earth!

I think it's important to remember that programs are interviewing you just as much as you're interviewing them. When on any visit, it's important to ask yourself whether the environment is one in which you'll excel at and one which you would be happy living in.

Just now, FiguresIII said:

I'm like: I'm applying here so I can learn to argue the kinds of questions you're asking me now! I want to go to Duke to get a good understanding of Marx, Professor Hardt!

Yes lol! I'd like to think that my interviewers understood that, but I'm sure I didn't answer as competently as they had hoped.

19 minutes ago, snorkles said:

22 minutes ago, FiguresIII said:

I think they do that to everyone. dw i have the same experience

To Emory interviewees: had a phone interview with a professor I won’t get to meet due to our different traveling dates.

They asked me one question about my SoP, and then left the rest of the time for me to ask them questions. Honestly they were so nice and warm that I really enjoyed the whole thing and want to go to Emory even more than I already did. 

Hoping this is indicative of what the interview days will look like!

2 minutes ago, arbie said:

To Emory interviewees: had a phone interview with a professor I won’t get to meet due to our different traveling dates.

They asked me one question about my SoP, and then left the rest of the time for me to ask them questions. Honestly they were so nice and warm that I really enjoyed the whole thing and want to go to Emory even more than I already did. 

Hoping this is indicative of what the interview days will look like!

Out of upvotes, but that’s amazing @arbie !!