Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone-- anyone willing to claim a CUNY acceptance an enlighten us as to whether it was from a POI or a standard accept email? Wondering if I'm out of the game yet or not, and see that last year CUNY notified over a couple of days via POIs. 

I'm hoping and praying, as I thought I had great fit...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In at Yale. My one admit of the season. I'm speechless.

In off the waitlist at Loyola

Just got a call from Dr. Sae Saue offering me admission to SMU

Posted Images

@barshmie Hello! I'm one of the CUNY acceptances. I received an email from a professor in my primary field (curiously, not one of my POIs), which says official letters will be issued "in the coming days." It seems the profs are sending out personalized emails, so that may explain the lag between acceptances. All the best to you and those waiting to hear back!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, simile said:

@barshmie Hello! I'm one of the CUNY acceptances. I received an email from a professor in my primary field (curiously, not one of my POIs), which says official letters will be issued "in the coming days." It seems the profs are sending out personalized emails, so that may explain the lag between acceptances. All the best to you and those waiting to hear back!

Hi Congrats!! That's amazing, CUNY is a great program filled with some of the best professors and resources, I did my undergraduate there. Do you mind sharing your field of study? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, theotherbrontesister said:

Hi Congrats!! That's amazing, CUNY is a great program filled with some of the best professors and resources, I did my undergraduate there. Do you mind sharing your field of study? 

Greetings and thanks, @theotherbrontesister! It really sounds like a great program. I applied as an Early Modernist with an emphasis on Milton. Hope you hear back from CUNY with good news!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but FUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK, you guys,  I am invited to SMU's PhD visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sobbing and screaming and SO THRILLED!

Happy birthday to me!!!!!!!

Edited by kendalldinniene
Interview doesn't mean acceptance, I think historically it's 12 invites to interview and 6 actual offers
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I'm sorry but FUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK, you guys,  I am invited to SMU's PhD visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sobbing and screaming and SO THRILLED!

Happy birthday to me!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU YESSSSSSS

(I also got this email!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I'm sorry but FUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK, you guys,  I am invited to SMU's PhD visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sobbing and screaming and SO THRILLED!

Happy birthday to me!!!!!!!

YES this is so good for you! Happy birthday!!! You deserve all the best and my fingers are crossed for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I'm sorry but FUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK, you guys,  I am invited to SMU's PhD visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sobbing and screaming and SO THRILLED!

Happy birthday to me!!!!!!!

Great news! Congrats!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I'm sorry but FUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK, you guys,  I am invited to SMU's PhD visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sobbing and screaming and SO THRILLED!

Happy birthday to me!!!!!!!

Congratulations on the invite!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

I'm sorry but FUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK, you guys,  I am invited to SMU's PhD visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sobbing and screaming and SO THRILLED!

Happy birthday to me!!!!!!!

This has been the most realistic (and probably how I would have reacted) reaction ever on this forum :) I hope you all the best with the visit!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hopeful and Not said:

This has been the most realistic (and probably how I would have reacted) reaction ever on this forum :) I hope you all the best with the visit!

Hahahaha, thank you!

And thanks also to @Sav and @Warelin.  I really don't know what I'd do without the support of this forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sav said:

Woke up to an acceptance from CUNY! :) 

Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking, did they give you any information on cohort size, etc? I haven't received an email yet and am keeping my fingers crossed for one today, but it's feeling like a no on my end! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, effietheant said:

Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking, did they give you any information on cohort size, etc? I haven't received an email yet and am keeping my fingers crossed for one today, but it's feeling like a no on my end! 

Thanks! No, they didn’t but I feel like I’ve heard CUNY admits a rather large cohort, somewhere around 20 students. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, I received a personal email from a professor at 9:18pm CST so I think it’s fair to assume they are notifying individually, at various times.

Fingers crossed for you!! Good luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, monsterheart said:

How much do you think funding matters in deciding acceptances/rejections? Like, one can get rejected if there isn't sufficient funding opps. to be offered? 

I’d say funding and job placement are the reasons programs admit very small cohorts now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, monsterheart said:

How much do you think funding matters in deciding acceptances/rejections? Like, one can get rejected if there isn't sufficient funding opps. to be offered? 

Hey!

I'd say it's pretty important. I originally applied to Comp Lit at Cornell. About two weeks ago a very kind professor called me. He told me that Cornell's Comp Lit Department only had 2 spots, which I think is ludicrous. Anyway, he told me that I was not accepted to Compt Lit, but that my application was referred to Romance Studies, where I was accepted (he told me they had a lot more places). In short, I think that ad comms recurrently come across wonderful applicants whom they wish to accept, but financial issues prevent them from doing so.

Hope that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.