Acceptances

The_Last_Thylacine

4 hours ago, Anxiously Hopeful said:

Okay, not too ambitious but I got accepted at the University of Florida. Glad I could avoid the harsh winters in the north.. wohoooo

Just to make sure I update the spreadsheet correctly, is this Univ of South Florida? :)

4 hours ago, Anxiously Hopeful said:

Okay, not too ambitious but I got accepted at the University of Florida. Glad I could avoid the harsh winters in the north.. wohoooo

Congrats! I just graduated from UF (undergrad). Obviously not a famous program but I had good experiences there. What’s you AOI and who do you want to work with?

33 minutes ago, Stable_disposition said:

Congrats! I just graduated from UF (undergrad). Obviously not a famous program but I had good experiences there. What’s you AOI and who do you want to work with?

I am enrolling in the biomedical engineering masters program. I am interested in Neural Engineering and I think Dr. Gunduz is doing some really good work on it.

18 minutes ago, Anxiously Hopeful said:

what do you mean?

This is the philosophy acceptances thread - I see in your profile that you're interested in engineering, so you might want to check out their forum here: https://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/32-engineering/

Congrats on the acceptance though! 

I can claim the UPenn acceptance! My girlfriend was the one who posted about it on fb (since I'm not on there). My acceptance is the one that was added to the google doc, but someone else reported UPenn in the results tab on gc. I got a call from Errol Lord this afternoon, and then an email with an informal offer of admission. Formal letter to follow.

23 minutes ago, akraticfanatic said:

it me!!! what kind of info are you looking for?

Congrats!! Just curious if they're done sending out stuff. I know last year they staggered acceptances on the 12th and 16th--wasn't sure if that was related to any fellowship nominations or what. (Also curious when they sent out the email/if it was a personal response, etc.)

1 minute ago, Eudaimon said:

Congrats!! Just curious if they're done sending out stuff. I know last year they staggered acceptances on the 12th and 16th--wasn't sure if that was related to any fellowship nominations or what. (Also curious when they sent out the email/if it was a personal response, etc.)

It sounds like it. Pritchard said that they are making few offers this year since last year's cohort was so large (17, and only one woman, so it sounded like they were going to especially prioritize gender diversity this cycle). I got a fellowship nomination, but another person from my program was also accepted and didn't get one. Sorry for the bad news. 

16 minutes ago, akraticfanatic said:

It sounds like it. Pritchard said that they are making few offers this year since last year's cohort was so large (17, and only one woman, so it sounded like they were going to especially prioritize gender diversity this cycle). I got a fellowship nomination, but another person from my program was also accepted and didn't get one. Sorry for the bad news. 

Would have been nice to know this ahead of time so I could apply to a program that didn't prioritize "gender diversity" even more than programs already do. Stay classy, Irvine.

Just now, bluwe said:

Would have been nice to know this ahead of time so I could apply to a program that didn't prioritize "gender diversity" even more than programs already do. Stay classy, Irvine.

Uhhh. I just said they had 16/17 men last year. So I think it makes sense. 

I'm not saying gender diversity isn't important. I'm saying that if they knew they were going for such a class they could have said something so that people can make an informed decision about where to apply, especially given UC's ridiculous application fees. Seems like I threw $100 in the trash.

Just now, bluwe said:

I'm not saying gender diversity isn't important. I'm saying that if they knew they were going for such a class they could have said something so that people can make an informed decision about where to apply, especially given UC's ridiculous application fees. Seems like I threw $100 in the trash.

It's not like they didn't admit any men? The other person in my program who got in is male