Waitlists

The_Last_Thylacine

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 5:47 PM, zsaha22 said:

Just got an email that I was put on an unranked waitlist at the University of Minnesota. Anyone else?

I've heard the same from others, but I personally have not heard back. I'm trying to figure out the logic of releasing waitlists before acceptances and rejections.  How do you know the applicants that are waitlisted if you don't already have a list of acceptances, minimally?

Edited by bluwe
typo

1 hour ago, bluwe said:

I've heard the same from others, but I personally have not heard back. I'm trying to figure out the logic of releasing waitlists before acceptances and rejections.  How do you know the applicants that are waitlisted if you don't already have a list of acceptances, minimally?

It might have something to do with that acceptances have to be approved for funding by the grad school (I think). Whereas, rejections and wait listed people don't have to be. Maybe. Just what I think.

2 hours ago, bluwe said:

Pretty sure there was a report on an antecedent acceptance. The classmate of someone who was accepted to Minnesota posted in the Facebook group.

5 hours ago, bluwe said:

I know of someone with an acceptance (student from my previous institution, reliable source).

17 hours ago, MtnDuck said:

I know of someone with an acceptance (student from my previous institution, reliable source).

What sort of funding did they get?

Waitlisted at UC Berkeley just now—Very happy!  Email says that "in the past we have very often been able to make offers to applicants on our wait list, so there is a good chance you will be offered admission."

5 hours ago, bluwe said:

Thanks! Any luck?

No such luck ? If history is any indication, then the timing of the offer means it is probably for full funding with a nomination for a university fellowship but that's just a guess

19 hours ago, MtnDuck said:

No such luck ? If history is any indication, then the timing of the offer means it is probably for full funding with a nomination for a university fellowship but that's just a guess

Well at least it sounds like no communication doesn't mean rejection at this point. If they were just offered standard funding then I'd be worried.