Waitlists

The_Last_Thylacine

Question for anyone who had to contact a school to find out that they were waitlisted - what is the proper department to reach out to? Graduate school admissions, head of the philosophy graduate department, or someone else entirely? I'm finally ready to ask a couple programs who I think (but I'm not sure) waitlisted me, but I don't want to make a poor impression by bothering the wrong people. 

Waitlisted at UW-MADISON. Almost certainly going to decline tonight since i’m in at chapel hill. 

Out of curiousity, what did everyone’s waitlist email look like? Mine said they were impressed by my application but couldn’t offer me a spot, but I remain under serious consideration. Also asked me to tell them if I get any other offers and to reach out if I need. 

I assume it was the same for everyone but I was just curious.

1 hour ago, nextcounterplease said:

Congrats!!!!!! I hope you get in! 

Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, Stable_disposition said:

Waitlisted at UW-MADISON. Almost certainly going to decline tonight since i’m in at chapel hill. 

Out of curiousity, what did everyone’s waitlist email look like? Mine said they were impressed by my application but couldn’t offer me a spot, but I remain under serious consideration. Also asked me to tell them if I get any other offers and to reach out if I need. 

I assume it was the same for everyone but I was just curious.

Yup, that's what mine looked like as well. I assume it was a standard email that was sent out - though to be fair, I also think it's probably pretty accurate as far as the university's position goes. The other waitlist emails I've received from other places in the past haven't been all that different (this one is much more optimistic than those other ones!).

4 hours ago, ringoandme said:

Question for anyone who had to contact a school to find out that they were waitlisted - what is the proper department to reach out to? Graduate school admissions, head of the philosophy graduate department, or someone else entirely? I'm finally ready to ask a couple programs who I think (but I'm not sure) waitlisted me, but I don't want to make a poor impression by bothering the wrong people. 

I reached out to dga but idk if that was appropriate lol... 

16 hours ago, nonbeingandsomethingness said:

same here!

Also waitlisted at Syracuse. The waitlist has 20 people on it, and I am in the "final third" of the unranked waitlist (so maybe it's more of a stratified than a ranked waitlist). Apparently Syracuse almost always goes to their waitlist, but some years they accept 5 people and other years they accept 15-20 people. The DGS told me that he would be in contact, but that I shouldn't expect to hear anything until April 15th. My chance of admission was compared to a coin flip, which was both funny and terrifying!

An hour after I got that email, I was waitlisted at UC Davis, but at Davis, the waitlist is ranked, and I am third in line for a domestic slot. I know of at least two people who will decline their offer from UC Davis, so an acceptance seems likely in the near future. 

Davis's application has an odd feature that requires you to copy and paste your statement of purpose. It also has a word limit and will not allow you to type past the limit. My statement of purpose was truncated, and I also esteemed myself to be a very poor fit for Davis, so I was surprised to learn that I was waitlisted. Still very nice of them to consider me, and I am certainly appreciative of both these opportunities. I also thought I was a very poor fit for Syracuse as well, but again, I'm very happy they're considering me nonetheless. To me, it would be a great honor to be able to attend either of those places.

34 minutes ago, The_Last_Thylacine said:

Also waitlisted at Syracuse. The waitlist has 20 people on it, and I am in the "final third" of the unranked waitlist (so maybe it's more of a stratified than a ranked waitlist). Apparently Syracuse almost always goes to their waitlist, but some years they accept 5 people and other years they accept 15-20 people. The DGS told me that he would be in contact, but that I shouldn't expect to hear anything until April 15th. My chance of admission was compared to a coin flip, which was both funny and terrifying!

An hour after I got that email, I was waitlisted at UC Davis, but at Davis, the waitlist is ranked, and I am third in line for a domestic slot. I know of at least two people who will decline their offer from UC Davis, so an acceptance seems likely in the near future. 

Davis's application has an odd feature that requires you to copy and paste your statement of purpose. It also has a word limit and will not allow you to type past the limit. My statement of purpose was truncated, and I also esteemed myself to be a very poor fit for Davis, so I was surprised to learn that I was waitlisted. Still very nice of them to consider me, and I am certainly appreciative of both these opportunities. I also thought I was a very poor fit for Syracuse as well, but again, I'm very happy they're considering me nonetheless. To me, it would be a great honor to be able to attend either of those places.

Nice! Solid waitlists!

Reached out to SFU, it seems that I haven't been rejected. I'm on the waitlist. So, as the petition normally goes, if you received a spot and you're not planning on attending, please turn down their offer, but only if you want. Otherwise, enjoy the program ?

Waitlisted at Duquesne. The person I spoke with mentioned that the waitlist was divided into two fields of interest (I'm assuming either Ancient/Contemporary or Catholic/Non-Catholic), so I am sharing the top of the list with another person.

@SmugSnugInARug I'm not sure what your waitlist said, but I'm one of the people that was offered the MA instead, and my email mentioned that there are 4 spots for PhD this year, and also that several of this year's cohort have been offered spots at other universities as well as Duquesne. I'd interpret that as at least 1 of the 4 spots being taken internally. 

That may be a good thing for the waitlist though! Not so much for those of us straight up given a rejection, I'm afraid, but maybe good for you.