Waitlists

The_Last_Thylacine

2 minutes ago, redsubywa said:

I am in limbo at McGill, Fordham, and BU. No word at all. Anyone else?

In limbo at McGill. Though, I was under the impression that they hadn't done rejections yet. Did I miss that?

1 hour ago, redsubywa said:

Same for BU and McGill (but like someone else said, the latter I don’t think has released any rejections yet - don’t know about waitlists)

1 hour ago, nxr9 said:

Same for BU and McGill (but like someone else said, the latter I don’t think has released any rejections yet - don’t know about waitlists)

In a similar position with BU and McGill—as well as Riverside. I solicited a response from both BU and Riverside, so I’ll pass along anything I hear. 

Regarding McGill, they usually don’t send out formal waitlist notifications. Last year I made it through a few rounds of rejections after they sent out acceptances. I solicited a response and was told that I made their “shortlist,” but was rejected a little later in March. I presume because of the way that funding works there (usually only a spot or two for international applicants) that once the non-Canadian spots fill up, they cut the rest of the international applicants. 

As well, McGill is on study break right now so it could be a week before rejections start to pop up.

Edited by Eudaimon

37 minutes ago, Eudaimon said:

In a similar position with BU and McGill—as well as Riverside. I solicited a response from both BU and Riverside, so I’ll pass along anything I hear. 

Regarding McGill, they usually don’t send out formal waitlist notifications. Last year I made it through a few rounds of rejections after they sent out acceptances. I solicited a response and was told that I made their “shortlist,” but was rejected a little later in March. I presume because of the way that funding works there (usually only a spot or two for international applicants) that once the non-Canadian spots fill up, they cut the rest of the international applicants. 

As well, McGill is on study break right now so it could be a week before rejections start to pop up.

That’s good information to know. Please do pass on any news when you hear back!

UPDATE: Solicited rejection from BU. From the email it seems all offers and waitlists are out (though I could be wrong). Riverside has me in the “hold and see” (verbatim) category. It’s possible others who weren’t rejected this past week at UCR are either in this category or on the waitlist. 

18 hours ago, redsubywa said:

I'm in the Fordham limbo as well. I solicited the DGS last week and he said he hoped to have decisions out by the end of the week or early this week. 

I haven't heard anything since. 

2 hours ago, Monk_Fudge said:

I'm in the Fordham limbo as well. I solicited the DGS last week and he said he hoped to have decisions out by the end of the week or early this week. 

I haven't heard anything since. 

@Monk_Fudge @redsubywa and I are all in Fordham limbo at the moment. I solicited the DGS today to see if there were any updates so I'll let you guys know if I hear anything back. 

17 hours ago, Eudaimon said:

UPDATE: Solicited rejection from BU. From the email it seems all offers and waitlists are out (though I could be wrong). Riverside has me in the “hold and see” (verbatim) category. It’s possible others who weren’t rejected this past week at UCR are either in this category or on the waitlist. 

Thanks for the update. Who’d you reach out to at BU? I tried sending a message via the admissions portal and the response was singularly unhelpful. 

36 minutes ago, nxr9 said:

Thanks for the update. Who’d you reach out to at BU? I tried sending a message via the admissions portal and the response was singularly unhelpful. 

I sent an email to Daniel Star! He got back to me promptly.

16 minutes ago, sosostris said:

Waitlisted at GSU. I don't really know the procedure here - is it expected to send a letter of continued interest (like for undergrad waitlisting)? How quickly do people tend to turn down offers, opening up spots?

If it’s anything like two years ago (when I applied), you’ve got a good shot - GSU went through the entire waitlist that year. But maybe they’ve remediated the process since then. Either way, as with most places, it’s possible to get an earlier offer but if one comes it’s likely to be in the week leading up to 4/15. 

Edited by nxr9

15 minutes ago, sosostris said:

Waitlisted at GSU. I don't really know the procedure here - is it expected to send a letter of continued interest (like for undergrad waitlisting)? How quickly do people tend to turn down offers, opening up spots?

I have heard of people sending formal letters of interest, but I think that's overkill in these cases.

Instead, try sending an email saying you're excited to still have a shot, and maybe ask if there are some current grad students to talk to. This shows you're interested in the program, and gives you a chance to ask those grad students if they know how good your chances at coming off the waitlist are; it varies by institution. 

As for how quickly people turn down offers, that's the big question isn't it! People are starting to turn down offers now, and it'll continue in greater numbers until 4/15. Unfortunately, because a lot of people wait to get off waitlists at their top schools, they hang onto other offers as backup and only turn down offers formally on the 15th, which makes other waitlisters wait till the 15th too. It's normal but sucks for everyone involved. 

just wait listed at Notre Dame. Was that email also sent to those who were previously accepted? I ask, because the last third paragraph seems to be addressed to those already accepted. Can those that have already been accepted confirm please.

I am asking because the email list is already quite long (21 people), such that if that list already includes those that have been accepted, then it's more reasonable. 

Edited by VentralStream