Rejections

The_Last_Thylacine

8 minutes ago, DanaChristine said:

Rejected by Alabama. Was kind of a shock, their DGS had used very encouraging language when we spoke via e-mail. My GRE verbal scores were not great, but they don't require them for PhD candidates who enter the program with an MA. Wasn't my top choice school, but a rejection still stings.

In addition, it seems that no one has heard from Notre Dame about interviews yet, including myself. While I don't expect to get in, it would be nice to hear something relatively close to the timeline they e-mailed after the application deadline.

Are you in the right forum?

9 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

Officially rejected by UNC. 

Ditto; rejected with the exact same email I received last year from Marc Lange - which, I was told, was the exact same email that had been sent out the year before! (Tbf it is a pretty kindly-worded email.)

Oh well. At least it came out relatively early this year - I remember wondering last year whether they had just forgotten my application! ?

I saw on the google doc that UConn rejections for the first round went out. Can anyone else confirm (sorry to throw people under the bus; feel free to not confirm if you're not comfortable). It's my top pick, and so far I haven't heard anything. 

2 hours ago, Anti-Climacus said:

I saw on the google doc that UConn rejections for the first round went out. Can anyone else confirm (sorry to throw people under the bus; feel free to not confirm if you're not comfortable). It's my top pick, and so far I haven't heard anything. 

The UConn rejection was claimed directly in FB chat but it does not appear they updated anything on TGC.

On 1/31/2019 at 10:54 AM, Kantattheairport said:

Ditto; rejected with the exact same email I received last year from Marc Lange - which, I was told, was the exact same email that had been sent out the year before! (Tbf it is a pretty kindly-worded email.)

Oh well. At least it came out relatively early this year - I remember wondering last year whether they had just forgotten my application! ?

The UNC news is scaring me. Sitting here Feb. 1st after seeing all these rejections and earlier acceptances and I have no news on mine. Anyone in the same boat? I don't have an email (checked spam) and double checked my phone and I haven't missed any calls.

I contacted Minnesota and it sounds like if you haven't heard back, then that's a rejection. Granted, this is the text of the email: "Notifications for the offers of admission and the wait list have gone out. " This was in response to my inquiry whether apps are still under review, so the only reading consistent with my question also being addressed is that its rejection. However, it is not totally clear to me, so I'll just wait for the notification email that historically never comes.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:11 AM, ringoandme said:

The UNC news is scaring me. Sitting here Feb. 1st after seeing all these rejections and earlier acceptances and I have no news on mine. Anyone in the same boat? I don't have an email (checked spam) and double checked my phone and I haven't missed any calls.

My understanding is that UNC don't keep a formal waitlist (i.e. nothing they would tell you about), but do have backup list of students they might admit (so an effective waitlist, if I understand right). If you haven't heard either way, you're probably still in the running! :)