Rejections

The_Last_Thylacine

On 2/17/2019 at 6:00 PM, ringoandme said:

Rejected from Duquesne but offered consideration for MA. Feeling pretty bad at 2 rejections in a row. Cue existential crisis.

On 2/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, SexandtheHaecceity said:

Duquesne said nay, but a nice email from Dr. Selcer with an MA consideration offer. 

Sorry to hear that. I know they're Catholic, but what are their philosophical strengths? (I don't see them on PGR [not that PGR is everything!]).

Fun fact, I just learned the right way to pronounce Duquesne...

6 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

Sorry to hear that. I know they're Catholic, but what are their philosophical strengths? (I don't see them on PGR [not that PGR is everything!]).

lol it's a weird spelling for sure. 

They're really strong in continental philosophy, which is likely why they're not on PGR, which ranks more analytic schools. At least that's my take. I was personally interested in the German continental factor.

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

For me it was that they had so many Deleuzians in their faculty. And I don't know if they still do (haven't checked) but you used to be able to take classes with Bruce Fink, the Lacan guy. 

Just now, Litgenstein said:

Tempted to email, but idk...

I'm going to wait until tomorrow at least to do anything. They've sent out notifications late in the day for the past couple of days, so I don't want to appear too anxious. Even though I totally am.

55 minutes ago, ringoandme said:

I'm going to wait until tomorrow at least to do anything. They've sent out notifications late in the day for the past couple of days, so I don't want to appear too anxious. Even though I totally am.

I've not been notified either and I'm kinda happy about it ?

Arizona rejection email:

Dear [applicant],

Thank you for your application to our doctoral program in philosophy.  I regret to inform you that, despite your excellent qualifications, the Graduate Admissions Committee has determined that they are not likely to extend an offer to you for the 2019-20 academic year.  Unfortunately, our doctoral program receives many more applications than there are openings for students.

Thank you for your interest in our doctoral program.  We wish you every success.

Sincerely,

Sandra Kimball
Program Coordinator, Sr 

Just now, akraticfanatic said:

Arizona rejection email:

Dear [applicant],

Thank you for your application to our doctoral program in philosophy.  I regret to inform you that, despite your excellent qualifications, the Graduate Admissions Committee has determined that they are not likely to extend an offer to you for the 2019-20 academic year.  Unfortunately, our doctoral program receives many more applications than there are openings for students.

Thank you for your interest in our doctoral program.  We wish you every success.

Sincerely,

Sandra Kimball
Program Coordinator, Sr 

Just got that too.

What does everyone think about the content of rejection letters? Do you feel good when schools try to soften the blow ("despite your excellent qualifications!!1!!!1!"), or does that rhetoric ring hollow for you? Would you rather they shoot straight? Maybe something like "In the scope of all the applications we received, yours was downright mediocre."

Abstractly, I don't care much for "fake happy" (Hayley Williams et al., 2017). The rejection letters I appreciated most were those with concrete information, like "We received an unusually high number of applications this year." I guess it's nice that they try to let us down easy.

Just now, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

What does everyone think about the content of rejection letters? Do you feel good when schools try to soften the blow ("despite your excellent qualifications!!1!!!1!"), or does that rhetoric ring hollow for you? Would you rather they shoot straight? Maybe something like "In the scope of all the applications we received, yours was downright mediocre."

Abstractly, I don't care much for "fake happy" (Hayley Williams et al., 2017). The rejection letters I appreciated most were those with concrete information, like "We received an unusually high number of applications this year." I guess it's nice that they try to let us down easy.

I just gloss over them. If they're sent out as a mass email, I doubt they have anything meaningful to say about me individually. 

On the other hand, I did receive the nicest rejection email from Duquesne. I think Dr. Selcer went through the list of people who would be offered consideration for the MA instead and emailed them all individually, as they didn't come out at once. He had a huge spiel about the MA program and its benefits, and it really felt like the MA was being offered as a fair alternative, rather than a throwaway consolation prize, as so many schools do. 

39 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Beetle said:

My second cycle, had my fair share of rejections - honestly, I really don't care about them. If I get rejected, I was rejected. Not much more to think about.

has anyone else heard from the University of Pittsburgh HPS program? So far I have only found four posters on the results page (2 accepted last week, one wait listed Monday, one rejected today)

1 hour ago, benjammin997 said:

anyone rejected from Duquesne & seriously interested in their MA program? I am really hoping to get into their MA 

I'm of two minds. If Purdue rejects me, and I elect to go the MA route then it's the perfect fit for my AOI (not many Deleuzians at the MA level elsewhere). But it depends very much on whether I'm getting 70% vs the obligatory 25% discount. I'm not going into debt for an MA in philosophy. 

11 hours ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

I'm of two minds. If Purdue rejects me, and I elect to go the MA route then it's the perfect fit for my AOI (not many Deleuzians at the MA level elsewhere). But it depends very much on whether I'm getting 70% vs the obligatory 25% discount. I'm not going into debt for an MA in philosophy. 

Same. If all I have to go for is the MA at Wake Forest and the MA at Duquesne, I'd take the one with the better funding, as I like both programs (I would still really love to attend Duquesne). But I have a few good chances at a PhD program so hopefully it doesn't come to that