Rejections

The_Last_Thylacine

My implicit Stony Brook rejection became an explicit Stony Brook rejection, though I did get admitted to the MA program. Anyone know about funding to determine whether it's worth serious consideration? Think I'm going to send a follow up email today and see what they say.

Ā 

Edit: NVM. The website explicitly says that there's no money for MA.Ā 

Edited by SexandtheHaecceity

1 hour ago, SexandtheHaecceity said:

My implicit Stony Brook rejection became an explicit Stony Brook rejection, though I did get admitted to the MA program. Anyone know about funding to determine whether it's worth serious consideration? Think I'm going to send a follow up email today and see what they say.

Ā 

Edit: NVM. The website explicitly says that there's no money for MA.Ā 

Did you solicit or did they email you?

Rejected at Rutgers and UPenn. Penn had the annoying email -> portal -> download a pdf letter to find out thing, but the letter itself was unusually optimistic - 'we trust that you have been admitted, or will soon be admitted, somewhere else'. Thanks for the encouragement Penn! :D

On 3/1/2019 at 5:47 AM, Moose#@1%$ said:

Sorry to hear that! ? hopefully it wasn't your top choice.

Thank you! It was sadly one of my higher choices (fan of Akeel Bilgrami's work) but there are still a couple of others to hear back from. :)

Ā 

So,Ā  anybody got an email from UMass- Amherst saying that there has been a change in status and check portal? But, when you go check there is still says status "pending update"...

I'm asking this in this section because I have a strong feeling that it's a rejection and thinking maybe others have received their rejection this way?

1 hour ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

So,Ā  anybody got an email from UMass- Amherst saying that there has been a change in status and check portal? But, when you go check there is still says status "pending update"...

I'm asking this in this section because I have a strong feeling that it's a rejection and thinking maybe others have received their rejection this way?

Yeah, mine says, "As of 03/03/2019 the status of your application is Update Pending."

I'm definitely assuming it's a rejection.Ā 

3 hours ago, Moose#@1%$ said:

Got the same email and portal says the same as well. If you go back and look at the email they sent it states it will take 1-2 buisness days for the formal status change to be reflected on the portal. Definitely a rejection.

*Also note it is the weekend*Ā 

Edited by DoodleBob

11 minutes ago, Anti-Climacus said:

Same. Their rejection was kinda asshole-y, imo. *shrugs*

3 minutes ago, DoodleBob said:

Yeah, on par with UM - Ann Arbor.Ā 

Maybe I shouldn't ask.

But post or DM an excerpt?

Ā 

Edited by Duns Eith

23 minutes ago, Duns Eith said:

Maybe I shouldn't ask.

But post or DM an excerpt?

Ā 

UMass - Amherst:Ā "As of 03/04/2019 the status of your application isĀ Denied." - Where "Denied" is a hyperlink to a page that states, "Explanation of Denied. Your application and credentials have been reviewed by the academic program to which you applied. They are not able to offer you admission to the Graduate School. The University typically receives many more applications from qualified applicants than there are spaces available."Ā 

Yep, it does say "Explanation of Denied."Ā 

UM - Ann Arbor: "This note is to inform you that the review of your application to the University of Michigan is now complete. We are very grateful for your interest in the Philosophy program; however, we are unable to offer you admission at this time. We wish you the best in your future endeavors."Ā 

Although UM - Ann Arbor has a few moreĀ up-those-spirit-wordsĀ than UMass - Amherst, UM - Ann Arbor did not have the consideration to provide the information onĀ whereĀ their letter will be posted, norĀ howĀ to find it.Ā 

Ā 

Edit: Was to provide UM - Ann Arbor also.Ā 

Edited by DoodleBob

6 minutes ago, DoodleBob said:

"As of 03/04/2019 the status of your application isĀ Denied." - Where "Denied" is a hyperlink to a page that states, "Explanation of Denied. Your application and credentials have been reviewed by the academic program to which you applied. They are not able to offer you admission to the Graduate School. The University typically receives many more applications from qualified applicants than there are spaces available."Ā  ļ»æ

Yep, it does say "Explanation of Denied."Ā  ļ»æ

I don't want to make light of a rejection here, but this is hilariously bad by UMass.

1 hour ago, Anti-Climacus said:

Haha, I laughed at it, too. I basically told my computer screen, "Well, fuck you, too, then."

Sorry to hear your bad news. I also applied for UMass, but I didn't receive a offer or an email which indicates a rejection. Maybe I miss something?Ā I cannot find any useful info onĀ www.spire.umass.edu with my SPIRE ID...

On my website, it says:

As of 03/04/2019 the status of your application isĀ Application Under Review.
Explanation:Ā 
Your application has been forwarded to the graduate faculty in your desired program of study for their consideration. The Graduate Admissions Office is awaiting the conclusion of that review process and the program committee's recommendation in regard to your admission.

Depending on the size of the applicant pool, it typically takes six to ten weeks from the application deadline for the program committee to communicate their admissions recommendations to the Graduate School. In turn the Graduate Admissions Office makes decision letters available in SPIRE within 4 business days of the receipt of the admissions recommendations.
Edited by KarlX

30 minutes ago, KarlX said:

Sorry to hear your bad news. I also applied for UMass, but I didn't receive a offer or an email which indicates a rejection. Maybe I miss something?Ā I cannot find any useful info onĀ www.spire.umass.edu with my SPIRE ID...

On my website, it says:

As of 03/04/2019 the status of your application isĀ Application Under Review.
Explanation:Ā 
Your application has been forwarded to the graduate faculty in your desired program of study for their consideration. The Graduate Admissions Office is awaiting the conclusion of that review process and the program committee's recommendation in regard to your admission.

Depending on the size of the applicant pool, it typically takes six to ten weeks from the application deadline for the program committee to communicate their admissions recommendations to the Graduate School. In turn the Graduate Admissions Office makes decision letters available in SPIRE within 4 business days of the receipt of the admissions recommendations.

You are most likely being considered for waitlisting then. Search either the waitlist post on this forum or the results page, canā€™t remember where I recall hearing this.Ā 

Good luck!Ā 

18 minutes ago, DoodleBob said:

You are most likely being considered for waitlisting then. Search either the waitlist post on this forum or the results page, canā€™t remember where I recall hearing this.Ā 

Good luck!Ā 

Thank you! In fact, my application results in this year have been very terrible up to now, so I often feel nervous. Hope to hearĀ some good news...

5 hours ago, DoodleBob said:

UMass - Amherst:Ā "As of 03/04/2019 the status of your application isĀ Denied." - Where "Denied" is a hyperlink to a page that states, "Explanation of Denied. Your application and credentials have been reviewed by the academic program to which you applied. They are not able to offer you admission to the Graduate School. The University typically receives many more applications from qualified applicants than there are spaces available."Ā 

Yikes... necessary and sufficient conditions and everything. I always thought that analytics were the happiest philosophers because they kept philosophical methodĀ outĀ of their personal lives, but this... I'm shook