Fall 2019 Business PhD Applicants

JigglyPuffy

Hi there. I applied to 13 PhD programs in marketing (1 in Canada, 1 in Netherlands, 11 in the states) and I haven't got any replies, interview invites or rejections, yet. The long time waiting drives nuts. However, I didn't see many posts about Business Phd programs here. I hope anyone who is in the similar situation can share information with each other. 

11 hours ago, powerpuff said:

Hey I also applied to Bussiness studies/Management PhD programs. I only applied to 4 schools, all of them in Europe. Applications were submitted in December 2018 and I havn't heard anything either! Ugh the wait really is excruciating. 

I submitted 5 schools in December last year but heard nothing yet. Did you take GRE or GMAT? I heard that business PhD is super competitive and requires a relatively high test scores. I also don't have much research experience under my belt which makes me feel super worried. 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:41 PM, JigglyPuffy said:

Hi there. I applied to 13 PhD programs in marketing (1 in Canada, 1 in Netherlands, 11 in the states) and I haven't got any replies, interview invites or rejections, yet. The long time waiting drives nuts. However, I didn't see many posts about Business Phd programs here. I hope anyone who is in the similar situation can share information with each other. 

Hi JigglyPuffy! Are you in Quant or Behavioral/CB?

On 1/17/2019 at 2:20 AM, JigglyPuffy said:

I submitted 5 schools in December last year but heard nothing yet. Did you take GRE or GMAT? I heard that business PhD is super competitive and requires a relatively high test scores. I also don't have much research experience under my belt which makes me feel super worried. 

I did GRE  and got 330 out of 340.  I think my overall profile is not too bad but as you said, business Phd is crazy competitive. 

I applied to 13 programs in the US, all OB and a mixture of top tier and state programs. I haven't heard back from any, which I suppose is par  the course since most aren't making decisions until as early as February but as late as March. Congrats to those who have received some outreach about their applications!

On 1/25/2019 at 11:36 AM, powerpuff said:

I did GRE  and got 330 out of 340.  I think my overall profile is not too bad but as you said, business Phd is crazy competitive. 

I think your score is really competitive. I only got a mediocre score on that but my quant is on the high part. I heard that there are tons of factors that the admission committee would take into consideration. I hope they could find some qualities that they are looking for in us. 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:37 AM, coffeefan said:

I also just wrapped up my applications to Management PhD programs (Organizational Behavior). I applied to almost 20 schools in the US and so far have only heard back from one (that requested a Skype interview). At least no rejections yet, lol.

Would you mind sharing some interview experience such as questions they asked when you finish that?

On 1/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, OBforme said:

I applied to 13 programs in the US, all OB and a mixture of top tier and state programs. I haven't heard back from any, which I suppose is par  the course since most aren't making decisions until as early as February but as late as March. Congrats to those who have received some outreach about their applications!

I didn't apply to top schools, the majority of them range between 50-100. Since the mid of January, I started to check results on gradcafe every day lol. I am super nervous and kind of anxious about it. I still haven't heard anything yet. Hope I can get something in February.  

57 minutes ago, JigglyPuffy said:

I didn't apply to top schools, the majority of them range between 50-100. Since the mid of January, I started to check results on gradcafe every day lol. I am super nervous and kind of anxious about it. I still haven't heard anything yet. Hope I can get something in February.  

Yes, perhaps February will be a good month for each of us. I'd forgotten about this site since my first master's degree program about 8 years ago. I am no longer as anxious since getting my first (and hopefully only) rejection. Now that I've processed that, I feel like I can relax and see what comes with the remaining programs. I definitely understand your feeling.

What made you decide on a marketing PhD? I've been in marketing for nearly a decade and thought about it but decided to go the OB route.

Hey there!  I'm joining this thread a bit late, but now seems like the perfect time to commiserate.
I applied to Strategy/Management departments at: Wharton, Sloan, Columbia, Berkeley, Cornell, Yale, Michigan, and Rice.  My GRE was: 164V/160Q, 6 AWA.  

I was just rejected from Wharton yesterday and had my Berkeley interview earlier this month.  I did not do well in the latter, so I'm expecting a rejection from there, too. 

On a brighter note, I did receive an "informal" offer from one of my schools (don't want to disclose which yet) a few weeks ago, so it looks like management departments are starting to make moves now.  I also spoke with a professor from one of my other schools who told me that they would start sending out interview invites this week. 

Here's hoping that each of us ends up exactly where we're meant to be!

Edited by phdmang

I had 303in GRE. 154 quants and 149 verbal. my undergrad gpa was 4.59/5.0 and masters gpa was 4.1/5.0. i intend applying for PHD Finance, georgia state, uinversity of alabama, UT ELPASO, and Indiana uni bloomington. do i stand any chances at all?

Edited by obylolo

20 hours ago, OBforme said:

Yes, perhaps February will be a good month for each of us. I'd forgotten about this site since my first master's degree program about 8 years ago. I am no longer as anxious since getting my first (and hopefully only) rejection. Now that I've processed that, I feel like I can relax and see what comes with the remaining programs. I definitely understand your feeling.

What made you decide on a marketing PhD? I've been in marketing for nearly a decade and thought about it but decided to go the OB route.

Well... I just got a rejection from ASU. They didn't send me any emails or notifications yet but they wrote "we are unable to admit you" on their application website, no further explanation. So... yeah... my first rejection. It's kinda upset since two weeks ago they asked me to email and mail my transcripts to them and then never replied me back. sigh...

Well I like to study consumer psychology more specifically. It's fascinating to know how they act and why. In my previous study and internship I interacted with customers a lot and I really enjoyed analyzing them and studying their behavior. 

15 hours ago, phdmang said:

Hey there!  I'm joining this thread a bit late, but now seems like the perfect time to commiserate.
I applied to Strategy/Management departments at: Wharton, Sloan, Columbia, Berkeley, Cornell, Yale, Michigan, and Rice.  My GRE was: 164V/160Q, 6 AWA.  

I was just rejected from Wharton yesterday and had my Berkeley interview earlier this month.  I did not do well in the latter, so I'm expecting a rejection from there, too. 

On a brighter note, I did receive an "informal" offer from one of my schools (don't want to disclose which yet) a few weeks ago, so it looks like management departments are starting to make moves now.  I also spoke with a professor from one of my other schools who told me that they would start sending out interview invites this week. 

Here's hoping that each of us ends up exactly where we're meant to be!

Congratulations to your offer! At least you got something in your hand. My minimum requirement is at least sending me some interview invitations. I read a post somewhere else said the person who applied to nearly 20 schools got silent rejections to all of them. It really freaks me out. 

Thanks, JigglyPuffy!  Nothing in writing yet, but I'm hoping that will change soon.

I'm also sorry to hear about ASU!  There seems to be quite a bit of randomness with business PhD admissions, in that much of the decision boils down to "research fit".  If you've case a wide net, chosen schools where you'd be a good fit, and written a clear research statement, I'm sure at least one of them will work out!

Edited by phdmang
typo

On another note: can anyone share their experiences with interviews thus far (if they have any)?

I had one interview that essentially a critique of a paper, whereas most have just been casual, "behavioral" interviews.  It would be great to hear what everyone else is experiencing!

On 1/30/2019 at 4:09 AM, obylolo said:

I had 303in GRE. 154 quants and 149 verbal. my undergrad gpa was 4.59/5.0 and masters gpa was 4.1/5.0. i intend applying for PHD Finance, georgia state, uinversity of alabama, UT ELPASO, and Indiana uni bloomington. do i stand any chances at all?

Hi Obylol - I'm not in Finance, so I'm not sure how much my advice would be worth.  I have heard, however, that Finance programs prioritize applicants with strong quant backgrounds and at least an 80th percentile quant GRE score (162 or higher).  If you're applying next year, you may want to consider re-taking the test and focusing on a higher quant score!  

Edited by phdmang
typo

20 hours ago, JigglyPuffy said:

Congratulations to your offer! At least you got something in your hand. My minimum requirement is at least sending me some interview invitations. I read a post somewhere else said the person who applied to nearly 20 schools got silent rejections to all of them. It really freaks me out. 

I worry about that...silent rejections. I mean, if that becomes my case I should be thankful Wharton even sent a rejection...ha ?

1 hour ago, phdmang said:

Hi Obylol - I'm not in Finance, so I'm not sure how much my advice would be worth.  I have heard, however, that Finance programs prioritize applicants with strong quant backgrounds and at least an 80th percentile quant GRE score (162 or higher).  If you're applying next year, you may want to consider re-taking the test and focusing on a higher quant score!  

I second what @phdmang has said @obylolo. Quant scores are pretty high from those who have listed their results on the results page as well, and are also Finance PhD applicants.