Fall 2019 Business PhD Applicants

JigglyPuffy

On 1/30/2019 at 5:09 PM, obylolo said:

I had 303in GRE. 154 quants and 149 verbal. my undergrad gpa was 4.59/5.0 and masters gpa was 4.1/5.0. i intend applying for PHD Finance, georgia state, uinversity of alabama, UT ELPASO, and Indiana uni bloomington. do i stand any chances at all?

I second others' comments. I am not in Finance but I noticed that the majority of business schools would require a total of 320 ish (you can check their websites, they would mention that). Especially for the quant, I would suggest you retake a test and get a at least 160+

7 hours ago, OBforme said:

I worry about that...silent rejections. I mean, if that becomes my case I should be thankful Wharton even sent a rejection...ha ?

Right... Silent rejections make me feel like the admission committee doesn't show basic respect to their candidates... At least, I would like to get a generic rejection e-mail lol

Management PhD: For anyone waiting to hear from Emory, yesterday I was told via email that faculty have begun making interview calls and that some folks have already been invited to campus for interviews. And for those waiting to hear from Northwestern, the faculty are currently reviewing applications and maybe there will be updates available for all applicants mid to late February.

Edited by OBforme
half awake, minor typos

Thanks for the update, OBforme. Kenan-Flagler OB interviews were last week and this week. Notifications will likely be sent out next week.

I perused the past few years of data for other management/OB programs. I'm surprised we haven't seen any interview invites for Ross or Yale SOM yet. If we're taking the last few years of data with a grain of salt, Booth, Fuqua, and Columbia's interview invites may go out late next week. Stern and Kellogg ~22 Feb. Sloan and HBS decisions were around Mar 1, but I'm not sure when they historically send out interview invites.

On 1/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, JigglyPuffy said:

Would you mind sharing some interview experience such as questions they asked when you finish that?

The interviewer seemed genuinely interested in my research. He had read the master's thesis I submitted with my application and the bulk of the interview was very collegial. He asked why I wanted to pursue a PhD, what interests me about the subject area, and why I chose to apply to their school. It lasted about 25-30 minutes. There was plenty of time at the end for my questions as well. I think it went very well and was definitely a little boost after my Wharton rejection.

37 minutes ago, Linchpin said:

Thanks for the update, OBforme. Kenan-Flagler OB interviews were last week and this week. Notifications will likely be sent out next week.

Drat, I was thinking I had a chance at UNC. Did you interview there?

47 minutes ago, coffeefan said:

The interviewer seemed genuinely interested in my research. He had read the master's thesis I submitted with my application and the bulk of the interview was very collegial. He asked why I wanted to pursue a PhD, what interests me about the subject area, and why I chose to apply to their school. It lasted about 25-30 minutes. There was plenty of time at the end for my questions as well. I think it went very well and was definitely a little boost after my Wharton rejection.

This is helpful, thanks for sharing coffeefan. I've been trying to think more about this aspect of this process rather than worry about any more rejections. 

28 minutes ago, phdmang said:

Has anyone heard anything about Michigan (Ross) or Yale yet?  

I didn't apply to Ross but it looks like there hasn't been anything on the results page. Applied to Yale SOM. Looks like Marketing and Accounting are moving but nothing in Management. They've sent out interview invites around this time the last 2 years so I expect we should see some movement in the next week or so.. Among many others 

Edited by psycinfo

1 hour ago, psycinfo said:

I didn't apply to Ross but it looks like there hasn't been anything on the results page. Applied to Yale SOM. Looks like Marketing and Accounting are moving but nothing in Management. They've sent out interview invites around this time the last 2 years so I expect we should see some movement in the next week or so.. Among many others 

Thanks, psycinfo!  Who is/are your POI(s) at Yale?  

Just received a rejection for U-Mich Ross Management And Organizations. As I said in the results section, it's interesting that they sent out the email on a Saturday. I understand how competitive it is to get into a top OB/Management PhD program so I'm not surprised. However, rejection always stings/hurts. Congrats to those who received good news!!

16 hours ago, psycinfo said:

Yes I did--One said they were taking students and the other said they were at least "looking at applications" 

Same, only one said they weren't taking students...Dupree. Curious if that's who told you they're "looking at applications" because wow, I just gotta laugh at my situation at this point if that's the case for Dupree.

1 hour ago, Linchpin said:

Just received a rejection for U-Mich Ross Management And Organizations. As I said in the results section, it's interesting that they sent out the email on a Saturday. I understand how competitive it is to get into a top OB/Management PhD program so I'm not surprised. However, rejection always stings/hurts. Congrats to those who received good news!!

Sorry to hear that news Linchpin– they do sting. My first rejection I did not take well, but my second I took it on the chin. How many other applications are you waiting to learn results from?

21 hours ago, OBforme said:

@psycinfo did you do any outreach to your POIs at Yale before applying?

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I too contacted POIs at every school I applied to. In fact, the only notifications/interviews I've received thus far have been at the schools whose faculty I contacted before applying.  It seems to be an unwritten prerequisite these days...

• 1 hour ago, OBforme said:

Same, only one said they weren't taking students...Dupree. Curious if that's who told you they're "looking at applications" because wow, I just gotta laugh at my situation at this point if that's the case for Dupree.

Sorry, I'm machine-gun posting (there seems to be a near-perfect correlation between my level of anxiety and the time I spend on GradCafe), but I did learn some interesting news from Yale.  Apparently, the Management group accepted more people than usual last year.  As a result, the Dean's office doesn't want to allocate any funding for Management PhDs, but the group is petitioning for 1 or 2.  So, this might just be a bad year for us at Yale...

Edited by phdmang
typo

2 hours ago, OBforme said:

Dupree told me she was taking students :)

3 hours ago, OBforme said:

Sorry to hear that news Linchpin– they do sting. My first rejection I did not take well, but my second I took it on the chin. How many other applications are you waiting to learn results from?

Thank you! I am waiting to hear back from 9 others schools.  I had seen your post about applying to 13 schools. How many are you waiting to hear back from? Judging from last year, I bet we hear from a lot of our programs next week.

4 hours ago, phdmang said:
  • Sorry, I'm machine-gun posting (there seems to be a near-perfect correlation between my level of anxiety and the time I spend on GradCafe), but I did learn some interesting news from Yale.  Apparently, the Management group accepted more people than usual last year.  As a result, the Dean's office doesn't want to allocate any funding for Management PhDs, but the group is petitioning for 1 or 2.  So, this might just be a bad year for us at Yale...

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. Well, there's a likely other app I can cross off my list of will I or won't I be admitted.