Fall 2019 Business PhD Applicants

JigglyPuffy

On 2/26/2019 at 2:55 AM, coffeefan said:

Visit Days

Has anyone been admitted to a program without a visit day or on-campus interview? I don't think I want to accept without visiting but the trip may be pricey on my own dime.

A friend of mine was admitted without visit day/ on campus interview but that's usually the case with us International Candidates for Domestic Candidates schools prefer us to visit them and that too way before the 15 April Deadline.     

On 2/21/2019 at 3:47 AM, late bloomer said:

Sports Management.  I have only heard back from the Sports Management programs (4 of 4).  I heard from Georgia State on Monday, and they said it is traditional for them to submit shortlisted candidates to their entire departments' research professorate for additional review (he also said the meeting isn't even scheduled yet <_<).

As for the Strategic Management programs, I have technically heard back from GAtech but by way an upload to the portal, no other communication (it was a typical decline.pdf, did mention that the research wasn't a fit).

So that makes it (1 of 7) in terms of hearing back from Strategic Management programs (I really didn't make too many reaches, i didn't want to bring down program admission cohort averages :), I still expect to hear from most of them).

I had a word at UGA waiting list 3. Maryland mailed that they would give notification on status in first week of March. Else it's all silent. What about things at your end? 

On 2/14/2019 at 5:26 AM, phdmang said:

So, I just got word from Cornell that they've only invited three people to interview and will be making one offer.  They probably won't be inviting anyone else to interview this year.  They're definitely top choice, though, so my fingers are crossed there...

Ross (strategy) have also sent out invites as well!  Apparently, if you haven't received one by Friday, you probably weren't short-listed. 

hey how are things at your end?  Inactivity in the group is scary.  

2 hours ago, StrategicPhD said:

I had a word at UGA waiting list 3. Maryland mailed that they would give notification on status in first week of March. Else it's all silent. What about things at your end? 

I had an interesting experience last weekend actually. 

The Graduate Coordinator at Virginia Tech reached out and left me a voicemail saying they were missing my Goals Statement and asked if I was still interested in applying (I left the application not submitted at the deadline).  I didn't call her back because I was not intending on putting out any more application fees or asking my recommenders to submit any more letters.  The next day she followed up with an email restating that they wanted to see my goals statement.  I was pretty surprised considering that my scores and whatnot aren't amazing (320 gre, 3.89 ug, 3.8 grad) but at this point I responded to the email and told her to give me the day to polish the statement and I would submit it and my C.V..

I thought about it for a minute and while I did fill out most of their application, I didn't upload the main documents (c.v., statements, official scores, recommendations, etc...) because that is how I was filling out applications; however, I would certainly go get my PhD from VT.  The reason I did not finish my application is that their program is on the bigger side and I didn't have the time to appropriately sort through professors and research to ensure that my statement was tailored for the program.  I did not want to straight up waste the fees on a bad application (considering how quickly GA Tech rejected my application, it’s obvious that my statement did not impress them.)

What if this is happening across the U.S. for business school programs outside of the top 15-20.  I mean, unemployment in America is extremely low for those with college degrees, application numbers could be down and it could be causing a bit of havoc internally and for funding planning.  I feel like only the big schools or schools with very popular programs are sending out interview requests, acceptances, or rejections.

http://www.howtogetintograduateschool.com/decisions/havent-heard-back-grad-school-rejected/

See #6 - We aren't there yet.  Even for the Econ & Finance programs and liberal arts programs, I see a lot of 'no funding information included' & 'funding to be decided in early March'.  I really only see a lot of arts & science-based programs sending out acceptances, and rarely with full funding disclosed.  I only see a handful of results when I search for 'management' that are not quantitative programs (ops management, STEM management, applied econ, etc...) in nature and I know these programs have vast and qualified applicant pools that would require the review committees to be proactive with their process.

To be honest, I think the business professors are practical enough to know that the business applicants are much more focused on the funding package because of our unique understanding of opportunity cost ? and there is literally no point in accepting a bunch of folks without being able to provide funding information for them (honestly, the acceptances I got were not that gratifying because I have to wait to find out if I get a fellowship in addition to GA funding)

Not to mention that 70 percent of North America was shut down for the week after the January deadline, this certainly threw a monkey wrench into the decision machine.

image.png

Hey All! 

I'm wondering if there is any difference between an interview with faculty and one with program's area coordinator. I had a phone interview with a program's phd area coordinator last week and we talked more about living expenses in NYC ( the university's in NYC) and my idea of moving to NYC. Does it mean a little bit higher of chance in admission when we're scheduled to interview with an area coordinator?

THX!

Has anyone heard from Harvard or New York University doctorate business admission? When does Harvard and NYU typically let applicants know? (I know the approx. months, but I wonder if anyone have any experience about Harvard or NYU)

On 2/28/2019 at 7:29 AM, StrategicPhD said:

UMD results are out.

14 hours ago, Lak said:

UMD results are out.

Yup and I was rejected. Working under Rajshree Agarwal would have been like dream come true. Tough Luck. I am just curious about the profile of people who got accepted. But people applying in Strategic Management and Entrepreneurship aren't that active on forums ? , except late bloomer. 

PS : I don't know why my signature isn't updating

0a/1w/1r/5p

Edited by StrategicPhD

14 hours ago, Lak said:

UMD results are out.

What's your update?

UIUC and UNC have also invited students on campus this week. No word from Purdue, UMass Amherst and Syracuse

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 6:30 AM, Lak said:

Did anyone get interview call from UMD strategy?

On 2/21/2019 at 3:47 AM, late bloomer said:

Sports Management.  I have only heard back from the Sports Management programs (4 of 4).  I heard from Georgia State on Monday, and they said it is traditional for them to submit shortlisted candidates to their entire departments' research professorate for additional review (he also said the meeting isn't even scheduled yet <_<).

As for the Strategic Management programs, I have technically heard back from GAtech but by way an upload to the portal, no other communication (it was a typical decline.pdf, did mention that the research wasn't a fit).

So that makes it (1 of 7) in terms of hearing back from Strategic Management programs (I really didn't make too many reaches, i didn't want to bring down program admission cohort averages :), I still expect to hear from most of them).

On 2/25/2019 at 7:10 AM, ashutosh gupta said:

Anyone can guide on phd finance interview general tips ?

On 3/1/2019 at 1:33 AM, minimu said:

Hey All! 

I'm wondering if there is any difference between an interview with faculty and one with program's area coordinator. I had a phone interview with a program's phd area coordinator last week and we talked more about living expenses in NYC ( the university's in NYC) and my idea of moving to NYC. Does it mean a little bit higher of chance in admission when we're scheduled to interview with an area coordinator?

THX!

On 3/5/2019 at 11:00 AM, Agv said:

Has anyone heard from Harvard or New York University doctorate business admission? When does Harvard and NYU typically let applicants know? (I know the approx. months, but I wonder if anyone have any experience about Harvard or NYU)

On 3/6/2019 at 3:38 AM, Lak said:

UMD results are out.

The group has gone a bit too silent. So Guys any updates?  I haven't heard back from any program since my reject from UMD.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:42 PM, StrategicPhD said:

Just lots of rejections now! ?

The group has gone a bit too silent. So Guys any updates?  I haven't heard back from any program since my reject from UMD.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, coffeefan said:
  On 3/17/2019 at 9:42 PM, StrategicPhD said:

Just lots of rejections now! ?

I spoke with the Graduate Admissions and Records Coordinator at University of Oregon (via email) yesterday.  We exchanged a few nice emails during the application process so I felt safe reaching out to her and inquiring as to the status of the application process (note, I did not ask if I was accepted or rejected, simply if the program has completed its admissions process).  She basically said that she has been asking for final decisions (didn't say from whom, I assume the PoIs or department/program chairs) for some time now as we are approaching the actual deadline of deadlines.  She even threw in a smiley face.

image.thumb.png.43f2f18f81be4a9e4b103c1292b48ad3.png

I know that applications go through at least 4 reviews right: 

STEP 1 - Sanity Test performed by Department Staffers (does the applicant have a unacceptably low GRE/GPA/TOEFL - if so, discard and reject);

From my perspective, this is the only group that would have definitely received a rejection.

STEP 2 - Review Dossier performed by Department Staffers (does the applicant have a strong application packet or a compelling SoP/notable recommendation provider (it's not what you know, it's who you know) - if so, pass along to PoI or PoIs named in statement);

Perhaps you might be rejected here if your SoP was off-topic, or the PoI has moved on to another department or school or if the reviewer believes you won't be accepted by their direct competitors; however, I see no other motivation to send rejection letters to those who do not pass this step for a number of reasons.

This may be you (or me - Temple), perhaps you received an interview with no follow up and you are on a hidden wait list, or perhaps it's an implicit rejection.  

STEP 3 - Intensive Scrutiny performed by professors (I believe this is where the process was stalled during Jan/Feb/Mar because of the severe winter week right after the deadline and the fact that these business professors have nobody to really hold them accountable to timelines) 

Now we have three piles.  STEP 1 Pile is discarded, STEP 2 Pile is ignored, and STEP 3 Pile is divided among the appropriate professors where it is subject to the whimsy of a tenure(d) track professor's schedule and will likely be ignored for some time (generally, for no other reason than if you give a human a deadline, there is a high likelihood that they will wait until the last bit of the allotted time to complete the task).  If you applied to a smaller program - for me, this is the sports management programs - then you advanced to this step fairly quickly and probably know where you stand at this point in the cycle.  

STEP 4 - Program Approval and Departmental Sponsorship (I liken this step to getting a herd of cats to agree on which toy to play with);

Nothing much I can say about this except that, the bigger the department, the bigger the bureaucracy and thus the longer the wait.  As well, you most likely have senior researchers from other programs (in the same department) opining on other professors' applicants, which could get weird.

STEP 5 - Funding Decisions (theoretically an applicant could get through the first 4 steps by early February and still be waiting for a funding decision until the April deadline).

Same thing here, no idea what constraints are preventing this process from progressing in a timely manner.  I speculate that a department is not interested in finalizing funding decision until the number of GA/TA/RAs is known ACROSS THE ENTIRE UNIVERSITY for a number of reasons related to their budget.

I have now started to get some pressure from the programs who offered me funding and assistantships but I would certainly prefer a bigger school/program/stipend associated with schools like UW, Oregon, Emory, Temple, Pitt...

In conclusion... like she said, hang in there :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 7:34 AM, StrategicPhD said:

hey how are things at your end?  Inactivity in the group is scary.  

Hey there - sorry this is coming so late!  I've had quite a busy few months, and I had to step away from GradCafe to keep myself sane and productive :)

In the end, I had two offers and a waitlist, but I've chosen Cornell.  I think it will be a great place for me to spend a few years and learn about the field.

How have things worked out for you?   Here's hoping that everyone has ended up wherever they're happiest!

Edited by phdmang
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2019 at 7:37 PM, phdmang said:

Hey there - sorry this is coming so late!  I've had quite a busy few months, and I had to step away from GradCafe to keep myself sane and productive :)

In the end, I had two offers and a waitlist, but I've chosen Cornell.  I think it will be a great place for me to spend a few years and learn about the field.

How have things worked out for you?   Here's hoping that everyone has ended up wherever they're happiest!

First of all congratulations for Cornell. (Hope to meet up at some conference ) 

Ya GradCafe was affecting my sanity too :P 

So I got a Reject in early March and an official wait-list in Mid Feb.

But post that it was all quite till 13 April and rejects came in but not all. UIUC and UMass were still left and I assumed it was a reject from their end and they were just being lazy.

But I got a mail from UMass on 26th that they would like to talk to me on 29th.

The talk was a full-fledged interview with a panel of 5 faculty (And was grilled a lot for not having an MBA ), got an offer in a few hours and I accepted it.

So I haven't received an official rejects from Georgia ( but the faculty informed me that two top choices accepted the offer ) and UIUC informed me (first week of April) that they would send rejection mail by 15th (Still waiting for it :P 

Hope everyone ends up happy after their roller coaster ride.

And If people are still following this thread would love to hear from others too