CSUN MSW FALL 2019

waterairairfire

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SacMac said:

I did. I had my interview yesterday

Mind sharing? When did you turn in your application and would you mind sharing when they reached out to you to schedule your interview? Oh and to the online program or in-person?

12 hours ago, MSWDUDE19 said:

Hello!

I attended an interview yesterday for the on-campus program (for either the 2 or 3 year, but prefer the 3 year). I was reached out for the interview on 1/29. I submitted my app on 1/5. 

Thank you for the info! I haven't received an email for an interview yet. It's stressing me out. It doesn't help that I had to turn down another program this week. Are you feeling pretty positive about your interview? Did you apply to other programs? What's your first choice? 

Of course. Oh & I hear you about it being stressful but give it some time. It's still pretty early on in the game so be hopeful.

I feel pretty good about the interview. The faculty that I interviewed with made it all feel pretty lax that I felt less anxious and more comfortable as it went on. As I look back there are certain things I wish I would have elaborated on a little bit more but at the same time I did not want to over talk as it was a group interview. It also just went by pretty quickly. Hoping for the best though and trying to not overthink things as I wait now. 

I took all my chances on this program due to several factors. However, when I was considering applying to other programs this one was still one of my top choices. 

11 minutes ago, MSWDUDE19 said:

Of course. Oh & I hear you about it being stressful but give it some time. It's still pretty early on in the game so be hopeful.

I feel pretty good about the interview. The faculty that I interviewed with made it all feel pretty lax that I felt less anxious and more comfortable as it went on. As I look back there are certain things I wish I would have elaborated on a little bit more but at the same time I did not want to over talk as it was a group interview. It also just went by pretty quickly. Hoping for the best though and trying to not overthink things as I wait now. 

I took all my chances on this program due to several factors. However, when I was considering applying to other programs this one was still one of my top choices. 

Wishing you so much luck MSWDUDE19!  Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing your experience.

Hi all I just discovered this forum!  I have my CSUN MSW interview tomorrow and am not sure what to expect from the group interview. I’m returning to school (hopefully) after 25 years so I’m concerned about being much older than the others in the group!  Any words of wisdom?

Hello everyone, i have my interview this week and I’m super nervous about it. To anyone that has already had their interview, would you mind sharing your experience, what i should expect, how I should prepare or anything that will help. Thank you and good luck to you all. 

Hi @Jd2019! All I can tell you is, DO NOT BE NERVOUS. There is no need to be. I know it is easier said than done being a person myself (amongst several other I'm sure) who tend to get real nervous during interviews. But honestly it wasn't as intense as you may think and the interviewers are very chill, at least the two who interviewed my group and I. Just try your best to relax going into it and not overthink things. Speak up as much as you can but be mindful that it is a group interview and that you have to give others an opportunity to speak within the duration of the interview as well. Also and I can not stress this enough, take your time and really think about the questions they ask before you answer. The way I see it, jumping the gun on a question can be a good and a bad thing as it may show great initiative but sometimes if you do not give yourself enough think time when considering a question, it may lack some depth and/or purpose to your response. 

As I reflect on my experience, I feel like I did fine. However I think my nerves got the best of me that my answers to the questions that were asked did not reflect my best self. I just really regret how nervous I was. Like I felt comfortable as the interview went on but I still think I was too much in my head from time to time. Now I am here worried that I ruined my chances getting into my top and only school that I applied to. :/ 

However, I am still trying to stay optimistic and not be so hard on myself as I think this committee reviews their applicants holistically. I'm sure the interview has a major influence on their decision of accepting/denying an applicant essentially but I hope it isn't solely based on that. At least that's the hope! Anyways, I do not want to give you specifics on the interview and what to expect because I would not want you to look too into and over prepare as it approaches as there is no need for that. Just be your authentic self, do the very best you can, and I'm sure the good news will be in store for you in the near future. You've gotten this far in the admissions process so I'm sure you'll be just fine. You got this and and good luck to you! :D

39 minutes ago, MSWDUDE19 said:

Hi @Jd2019! All I can tell you is, DO NOT BE NERVOUS. There is no need to be. I know it is easier said than done being a person myself (amongst several other I'm sure) who tend to get real nervous during interviews. But honestly it wasn't as intense as you may think and the interviewers are very chill, at least the two who interviewed my group and I. Just try your best to relax going into it and not overthink things. Speak up as much as you can but be mindful that it is a group interview and that you have to give others an opportunity to speak within the duration of the interview as well. Also and I can not stress this enough, take your time and really think about the questions they ask before you answer. The way I see it, jumping the gun on a question can be a good and a bad thing as it may show great initiative but sometimes if you do not give yourself enough think time when considering a question, it may lack some depth and/or purpose to your response. 

As I reflect on my experience, I feel like I did fine. However I think my nerves got the best of me that my answers to the questions that were asked did not reflect my best self. I just really regret how nervous I was. Like I felt comfortable as the interview went on but I still think I was too much in my head from time to time. Now I am here worried that I ruined my chances getting into my top and only school that I applied to. ?

However, I am still trying to stay optimistic and not be so hard on myself as I think this committee reviews their applicants holistically. I'm sure the interview has a major influence on their decision of accepting/denying an applicant essentially but I hope it isn't solely based on that. At least that's the hope! Anyways, I do not want to give you specifics on the interview and what to expect because I would not want you to look too into and over prepare as it approaches as there is no need for that. Just be your authentic self, do the very best you can, and I'm sure the good news will be in store for you in the near future. You've gotten this far in the admissions process so I'm sure you'll be just fine. You got this and and good luck to you! :D

Thank you. You definitely calmed me down a bit. I’ll take what you said in mind as I continue to prepare. I wish the best for you, I’m sure you’ll get in. Good luck. :) 

Hi everyone! I had my interview last Thursday (2/28) and am still waiting to hear back about it. Has anyone who had an earlier interview heard anything yet/know how long it will take until we start hearing? Has anyone had to submit the CSU residence questionnaire as well? 

Good luck to everyone who applied!! 

7 hours ago, CSUNMSW19 said:

@msw'19 I haven't heard back yet and I haven't done a questionnaire. Where did you find this questionnaire? 

I was emailed the questionnaire on February 15th because from the information provided on my application, I am registered as a non-resident. I have lived in California all my life, so I'm a little confused as to why they registered me as a nonresident. I haven't heard anything about it yet though, and I sent the questionnaire in yesterday. 

Edited by msw'19