Fall 2019 Data Science/Analytics Master Applicant Thread

53 minutes ago, HarenB said:

Hey there, how many people are in the group if you don't mind me asking? Still waiting on a response from NYU (it's my top choice, but also applied to Penn, Columbia and UCLA). Also do you mind if I ask what your GPA/GRE scores are?

@HarenB Hi there! There are 142 in the LinkedIn group (which includes 4 admins, so ~138 prospective students)

On 3/13/2019 at 12:10 AM, data_psych said:

The questions were very general, regarding my background and career objectives. Don't sweat it. It would be an informal conversation where they wanna know more about you. Nothing technical.

all the best. let us know how it goes!

Hey! Do you mind sharing who took your interview and how many people were there? 

22 hours ago, nyan_cat said:

@HarenB Hi there! There are 142 in the LinkedIn group (which includes 4 admins, so ~138 prospective students)

@harenb

Edited by nyan_cat
incomplete

@HarenB For me, decent GPA (A-) and GRE scores (for Data Science applicants: below average on Q, above average on V). I have a lot of quantitative research experience and publications, so I'm guessing that helped balance the other factors. 

hey guys, how would you guys rank the following programs? just try to understand more about the reputation & quality of data science/analytics programs :) I guess stanford & harvard & MIT have the top 3 analytics programs. 

NYU DS / Columbia DS / Duke MIDS / UPenn DS / NorthWestern Analytics / George Tech Analytics / CMU BIDA

I'm thinking Upenn > NorthWestern > NYU > Duke > George Tech > Columbia > CMU BIDA? 

1 hour ago, Louise Yi said:

hey guys, how would you guys rank the following programs? just try to understand more about the reputation & quality of data science/analytics programs :) I guess stanford & harvard & MIT have the top 3 analytics programs. 

NYU DS / Columbia DS / Duke MIDS / UPenn DS / NorthWestern Analytics / George Tech Analytics / CMU BIDA

I'm thinking Upenn > NorthWestern > NYU > Duke > George Tech > Columbia > CMU BIDA? 

I'd probably say for the DS ones it's Columbia > NYU > Penn > Northwestern. For the other ones I'm not too sure

On 3/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, nyan_cat said:

@HarenB For me, decent GPA (A-) and GRE scores (for Data Science applicants: below average on Q, above average on V). I have a lot of quantitative research experience and publications, so I'm guessing that helped balance the other factors. 

Ah okay I'm in the opposite boat. GRE was 168/160/5 and current GPA of 4 (take that with a pinch of salt though, it's an international degree translated to GPA), but experience wise I'm below average I reckon. NYU seem to like releasing decisions at the end of the week though so I'm spending today praying! 

39 minutes ago, HarenB said:

Ah okay I'm in the opposite boat. GRE was 168/160/5 and current GPA of 4 (take that with a pinch of salt though, it's an international degree translated to GPA), but experience wise I'm below average I reckon. NYU seem to like releasing decisions at the end of the week though so I'm spending today praying! 

Best of luck to you, @HarenB! I hope you get positive news! 

6 hours ago, Louise Yi said:

Remember that you might want to join a program that has been established a while ago. Newer programs tend to have an unstructured or unbalanced curriculum.

Looking into this data from NCSU (https://analytics.ncsu.edu/?page_id=4184)

•  Northwestern 2012
  •  NYU 2013
  •  Columbia 2014
  •  UPenn 2017
  •  Georgia Tech 2014
  •  Duke 2018

NW = NYU = Columbia > UPenn is what I'm thinking. I wouldn't personally consider Duke. Also, I did not apply for Georgia Tech as their curriculum covered descent amount of business aspects of analytics, which is not what I was looking for.

9 hours ago, HarenB said:

I'd probably say for the DS ones it's Columbia > NYU > Penn > Northwestern. For the other ones I'm not too sure

Thanks Haren! The reason I thought Penn/NW might be good as they have a much smaller class size and harder to get in especially for Upenn? 

Glad to know Columbia is great as I'm still waiting for their outcome. I've heard a few rumours about some programs in Columbia are a cash cow / the curriculum in Columbia is unstructured.. not sure about the details though. What do you think about Columbia?

4 hours ago, Cali_92 said:

Remember that you might want to join a program that has been established a while ago. Newer programs tend to have an unstructured or unbalanced curriculum.

Looking into this data from NCSU (https://analytics.ncsu.edu/?page_id=4184)

•  Northwestern 2012
  •  NYU 2013
  •  Columbia 2014
  •  UPenn 2017
  •  Georgia Tech 2014
  •  Duke 2018

NW = NYU = Columbia > UPenn is what I'm thinking. I wouldn't personally consider Duke. Also, I did not apply for Georgia Tech as their curriculum covered descent amount of business aspects of analytics, which is not what I was looking for.

Thanks Cali! The website is super helpful! I'll take a further look :)

58 minutes ago, Louise Yi said:

58 minutes ago, Louise Yi said:

Seconding the awesomeness of that website. Wish I had come across it while applying.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:45 PM, data_psych said:

Ya i received the interview invite on 14th Feb. Completed it on 26th Feb.

Profile : GRE 332(169 Q, 163 V, 4 AWA)

Bacherlors in Engineering : Industrial Engineering majors , Delhi Technological University (3.8/4)  or (8.16/10)

3.5 years work ex in machine learning across fintech , ecommerce and healthcare(UnitedHealth Group) 

7 months NGO experience ,  1 paper on deep learning

Hey there! I also received AD from MIDS this week :) Thanks for your advice.

Just wondering will you accept your offer? Have seen some negative comments on the result page as it's a brand new program...

but the faculty seems to be highly knowledgable and they do care about the students quite a lot

I'm not too sure about whether to choose this program or CMU-BIDA as I got 40% tuition scholarship from CMU...

still waiting for Columbia & UPenn

3 hours ago, Meowhigh said:

Still waiting on Columbia as well. I guess we're really going to have to wait until early April. Sigh.

Did anyone get accepted or waitlisted into University of Chicago's? Thoughts on that program?

I would value NW's program over UChicago's. I personally viewed UChicago's program as targeted for those already in career fields. Also, I did not like how the program is situated under the Graham School, while most other data science programs are under Engineering departments or individual data science institute.

Edited by Cali_92

On 3/14/2019 at 6:14 PM, nyan_cat said:

@thrasher88 I was also surprised at the size of the cohort. It seems like a big jump from previous years. You have some amazing choices! 

@thrasher88 not sure if you were able to make it to the accepted students event tonight. It looks like the cohort last year was 140. FYI. 

8 hours ago, Cali_92 said:

I haven't heard back from NYU, Columbia, USC data science programs. Does anyone have information about this? I did hear that Columbia is still in the review process, but not sure about the other two schools.

Hey. I haven't heard back anything from NYU either. It's been almost 5 months since I submitted my application.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:01 PM, Cali_92 said:

I also did not hear back from NYU. Not even as waitlisted. However, don't assume to be rejected. Last year results page for NYU MSDS shows that acceptance offers were released in a couple of rounds.

Did you hear from them yet? I still haven't heard from them. Thank you. Let's hope for the best.

Has anyone here applied to MS in Data Science at University of Minnesota, Twin Cities? I have and I haven't yet heard from them. I see that they have released some admits in batches already in this month. Does anyone know what the batch size of MSDS at UMN is?  Do we still have a hope?