Fall 2019 Masters of Health Informatics

V08

12 minutes ago, sun.flower said:

How is everyone preparing for their interviews? I am so nervous.

Me too! I'm still doing research for my presentation, which is the part i'm most nervous about. I'm also coming up with examples I want to use for the behavioural questions and practicing those. Not sure if I should be doing more to prepare tho. 

2 hours ago, ovoxo said:

Congrats and good luck to everyone who has an interview! Might be a silly question, but what do people generally wear for this? Is it full business formal (i.e. for women: dress shirt, blazer, heels) like med interviews or a bit more business casual like a job interview?

I think I’m going to wear business formal- only because we’ll be presenting and stuff so I think that might help build my confidence a bit haha

58 minutes ago, ka.2 said:

Hey guys. Does anyone know if they are still sending out emails for interviews? I have been refreshing like crazy, my application still says under review though. I am just hoping they're still sending them out. 

Hey! I'm wondering the same thing. Still haven't got the invite and my app. says under review. Maybe it would help to email Zoe? Im just gonna wait it out until Friday.

56 minutes ago, natzb said:

Hey! I'm wondering the same thing. Still haven't got the invite and my app. says under review. Maybe it would help to email Zoe? Im just gonna wait it out until Friday.

Maybe you can call her to ask- I called her few days ago.

1 hour ago, mo1995 said:

Hey has anyone that applied to Waterloo heard back? I'm super anxious. 

I haven't heard back from Waterloo yet. Looking at last year's comments, people started hearing back mid-March.

Edited by SV96

7 hours ago, M.Shelley said:

Me too! I'm still doing research for my presentation, which is the part i'm most nervous about. I'm also coming up with examples I want to use for the behavioural questions and practicing those. Not sure if I should be doing more to prepare tho. 

Yep same! Do you guys know what Zoe meant by this (for the presentation)? 'It is recommended that you bring a PowerPoint presentation viewable from a 1-page handout' 

Hello:  1.  For what to wear, I'm thinking business formal just to be on the safe side.  2.  In terms of preparation, I'm thinking what M.Shelley said, but also once I've fully  prepared my presentation I'm thinking of also reviewing some of the profs' research.  Hoping it might help with the written question and will help getting me thinking a bit more about Health Informatics in general.   3.  For the one page hand out I was wondering the same thing.  I'm thinking it needs to be 4 to 6 power point slides on a single sided handout.

8 hours ago, natzb said:

Hey. Can you post what Zoe says if you email her. Thank you!

13 hours ago, jeds said:

Hello:  1.  For what to wear, I'm thinking business formal just to be on the safe side.  2.  In terms of preparation, I'm thinking what M.Shelley said, but also once I've fully  prepared my presentation I'm thinking of also reviewing some of the profs' research.  Hoping it might help with the written question and will help getting me thinking a bit more about Health Informatics in general.   3.  For the one page hand out I was wondering the same thing.  I'm thinking it needs to be 4 to 6 power point slides on a single sided handout.

sounds like a plan. For the handout, she didn't specify that it has to be one sided so I'm going to test my luck. My pres is about 7 slides. I realized how short 5 minutes is when I was practicing my presentation last night. I have to condense like crazy!!

15 hours ago, SV96 said:

Yep same! Do you guys know what Zoe meant by this (for the presentation)? 'It is recommended that you bring a PowerPoint presentation viewable from a 1-page handout' 

I'm assuming you mean the research part? I was confused by this as well but I just added some stats to back up the stuff I'm saying. Most of my presentation involves sharing my own experiences. 

Hey everyone. I just had my interview today for U of T MHI and am armed with answers to many of your questions here:

1. What to wear: I went with business "casual" (suit without the blazer)

2. What to prepare: for the presentation they really want you to focus in on a specific topic or issue. Do your research, show how you think, and you will do great. Print your powerpoint presentation as all slides on one page and keep it simple (they need to be able to see the slides but also listen to what you're saying). I also printed notes for myself to read off of. It isn't an actual "presentation", you're just sitting in a room with one other person while you go through your slides on paper.

3. What to expect:

The written question was a bit vague, so your answer will really depend on how much you know about health informatics in general. 20 minutes was more than enough time to fill a page of writing in my opinion.

The interviews were as follows: 3 interviews in total, about 15 min each. 1 interviewer will listen to your presentation and ask follow up questions. The other 2 interviewers (whom you will see one at a time) will ask you questions about your background and analytical skills.

Let me know if you have any other questions!!

Michael

40 minutes ago, mbar said:

Hey everyone. I just had my interview today for U of T MHI and am armed with answers to many of your questions here:

1. What to wear: I went with business "casual" (suit without the blazer)

2. What to prepare: for the presentation they really want you to focus in on a specific topic or issue. Do your research, show how you think, and you will do great. Print your powerpoint presentation as all slides on one page and keep it simple (they need to be able to see the slides but also listen to what you're saying). I also printed notes for myself to read off of. It isn't an actual "presentation", you're just sitting in a room with one other person while you go through your slides on paper.

3. What to expect:

The written question was a bit vague, so your answer will really depend on how much you know about health informatics in general. 20 minutes was more than enough time to fill a page of writing in my opinion.

The interviews were as follows: 3 interviews in total, about 15 min each. 1 interviewer will listen to your presentation and ask follow up questions. The other 2 interviewers (whom you will see one at a time) will ask you questions about your background and analytical skills.

Let me know if you have any other questions!!

Michael

Thanks for the info and hope your interview went well! I have a few questions - For the presentation, do you have to print 3 copies of the slides for each of them or is one copy enough as long as they can see it?  Also, for the written question, do you think someone with no informatics background can answer it well?

6 minutes ago, SV96 said:

Thanks for the info and hope your interview went well! I have a few questions - For the presentation, do you have to print 3 copies of the slides for each of them or is one copy enough as long as they can see it?  Also, for the written question, do you think someone with no informatics background can answer it well?

Thank you, I think it was ok! Also I think one copy is fine, I only gave my presentation to one interviewer. It was all one-on-one.

For the written question, as long as you know about what's happening with the field (and what could happen in the future) you will be fine

7 minutes ago, sun.flower said:

Thank you so much Michael!!! One question for you, was the entire process intimidating? (This is definitely subjective but I am a bundle of nerves and am curious). 

I feel you, it was ok, definitely not as bad as med school interviews. Go in with a positive attitude and show them your best self. At the end of the day, what more can you give right?

3 hours ago, nabii said:

Thanks for the suggestion @SV96. I just called Zoe. She said they are done sending the invites for interviews.

Aw, I had a feeling. I didn't end up receiving one. Well I guess there's always next year. ?