Fall 2019 Masters of Health Informatics

V08

3 hours ago, sun.flower said:

Hey, 

For others who have already had an interview, was your presentation done in a one-on-one format as well? 

Yup everything is one on one and you rotate between 3 people. The written portion is done with 2 other people in the same room. 

30 minutes ago, SV96 said:

How did your presentations go? Mine is day after and I'm so nervous! 

Don't worry too much about the presentation. It's one on one and everyone is very nice. They asked me a couple of challenging questions but they're not looking for a right answer just how you think. Good luck ?

1 minute ago, M.Shelley said:

Don't worry too much about the presentation. It's one on one and everyone is very nice. They asked me a couple of challenging questions but they're not looking for a right answer just how you think. Good luck ?

Thank you! Did you use notes for your presentation?? 

5 minutes ago, M.Shelley said:

Hey @M.Shelley, were the questions after the presentation portion more behavioural-based (i.e. general job interview questions) or scenario-based? Thank you! 

45 minutes ago, Willowrain said:

Hey @M.Shelley, were the questions after the presentation portion more behavioural-based (i.e. general job interview questions) or scenario-based? Thank you! 

The questions after the presentation portion itself was scenario based for me. However, for the other 2 portions, they're more behavioural based. 

11 hours ago, M.Shelley said:

The questions after the presentation portion itself was scenario based for me. However, for the other 2 portions, they're more behavioural based. 

Tho wanted to clarify that the scenario based questions were specific to my presentation. They don't just randomly ask about a topic in health informatics. Good luck guys!!

Congratulations to everyone who has gotten through the interview.  I finished mine this morning!  As everyone else has said, there's basically four parts:  A general written question that you do in a room with two other people, a room where you bring in your presentation and follow up with a few questions afterwards, a room where they ask some complex behavioral questions where you need to draw upon experiences from school and work, and another room where it's very general behavioral questions.  The order you end up doing the last three parts in will be randomized and you will rotated with the people that did the written question with you.  I found the complex behavioral room to be the most challenging part but none of it was too bad and everyone is really friendly.  Good luck!

Hey guys, 

I had my interview today too. Similar to the other responses on here, the written portion is followed by three separate interviews that are 15 mins each. The written part itself I thought was fairly easy. You get more time than you actually need. 

The most challenging part for me was the questions asked after the presentation portion. Make sure your presentation is very focused and has a clear intent. 

Edited by sun.flower

I will also echo the comments that have already been made about the interview as a whole. Personally, I found the behavioural questions were the most challenging - the questions REALLY make you think. I'd advise thoroughly reflecting on past experiences (work, volunteering, group assignments in school, etc) in order to provide concrete examples for that portion of the interview. 

I would also suggest reading up on some courses offered by the program and trying to find parallels between the subject matter and your end career/academic goals. They really do want to see if you have a clear vision in mind for yourself and have an understanding of how this program in particular can help you achieve your personal goals! ***

Overall, with adequate preparation, I'm sure you will be fine! Good luck to everyone! :) 

In terms of how many people apply... I've cut and pasted what someone else wrote in the 2018 forum for this program (located on page 5 of that gradcafe forum).  Apparently in 2016 there were 116 applicants and 62 of them got offers (because people turn down the offer as they get accepted to other programs).  I'm guessing this year will be somewhat similar unless the popularity of the program has either decreased or increased significantly over the past three years.  

For last year's intake, there were 116 domestic applicants, and 62 of them received offers of admission (and subsequently 36 of those applicants accepted the offer). So it appears more than half of applicants get in. On the other hand, it appears you shouldn't waste time and resources applying if you're an international applicant.

source: https://issuu.com/dlsph/docs/dlsph_report_2016-17_final page 8

13 hours ago, jeds said:

In terms of how many people apply... I've cut and pasted what someone else wrote in the 2018 forum for this program (located on page 5 of that gradcafe forum).  Apparently in 2016 there were 116 applicants and 62 of them got offers (because people turn down the offer as they get accepted to other programs).  I'm guessing this year will be somewhat similar unless the popularity of the program has either decreased or increased significantly over the past three years.  

For last year's intake, there were 116 domestic applicants, and 62 of them received offers of admission (and subsequently 36 of those applicants accepted the offer). So it appears more than half of applicants get in. On the other hand, it appears you shouldn't waste time and resources applying if you're an international applicant.

source: https://issuu.com/dlsph/docs/dlsph_report_2016-17_final page 8

FYI there is a more updated version of this report 

https://issuu.com/dlsph/docs/dlsph_annual_report_2017-18_sg?e=25479276/62391319

(also page 8 ) 

30 minutes ago, Boy.Genius said:

Hi guys just finished my interview last Friday with UofT. And while I was being interviewed I was told that there is about 220 applicants this year with 35 slots. Hope we get in and fingers crossed!

Hey @Boy.Genius! Did they say when they would get back to you?