Post Your Backup Plan

Maylee

On 1/26/2019 at 10:32 AM, crazycheese8 said:

That is really awesome!!! I am doing some backpacking in Asia in April and I can't wait.

Oh that's great! I did that during my undergrad years and it was the most fun I had while travelling. Good luck!

On 1/28/2019 at 3:28 PM, hardatwork said:

Honestly? High key considering living as a guest in a monastery for a year. Nothing like some peace and quiet to recover from it all... 

I know someone who did that, actually! They lived in a monastery in Germany for a summer. They said it helped ground them and learn how to better focus on what's important to them in life. I think it was only for a summer though, so idk if they would say the same thing for a whole year, lol. 

Well I applied for an MA in a different (but related) discipline but I'm only going to go if they end up offering me at least a GAship and probably a full ride (Getting at least a GAship is pretty common for most qualified candidates in the program), so that probably won't pan out.  It'd be cool because I could finish in a year after transferring some graduate credits in and it'd make me a more qualified candidate for the next application cycle, but it'd also set me back on trying to pay down some debt and study for the LSAT, which is my other backup plan.

If I don't end up going to grad school this coming year my plan is to save money, strengthen my doctoral applications as much as possible, apply to those programs as well as some law schools and possibly the Peace Corps, and hike the entire Appalachian Trail from February-end of July or so.   It's been my dream for over a decade and it'd be a good opportunity to do it before I move on (hopefully) to a grad program or law school.  This coming fall will definitely be my final application cycle (my third) for doctoral programs one way or the other, but I'll probably give law school another shot if I don't get a good offer during this cycle.  If I strike out with all of that...who knows?  Hopefully that's a scenario I won't have to deal with.

On 1/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, hardatwork said:

Honestly? High key considering living as a guest in a monastery for a year. Nothing like some peace and quiet to recover from it all... 

I considered this. Then thought it would be more direct if  I were to travel somewhere like Aokigahara.

Long but hopefully perspective for fresh out of undergrad students who are trying to figure out what life is like without going straight to gradschool haha.

I graduated undergrad in 2014 from an insanely hard university in an extremely difficult major.  So all I wanted to do was work and NOT study for a bit, so I did that for 4.5-5 years ish.  It was a lot of fun, I made a lot of money traveled all over, did the partying I didn't get to do in undergraduate (due to course rigor), gained a skill unrelated to my major at all but that can always pay the bills, learned to be self sufficient and made a ton of amazing non academic friends.  I say this for anyone straight out of undergraduate who might not make it into their grad schools, I honestly loved the years I spent working, it was enjoyable and fruitful and not a waste what so ever IMO.

Having said that I applied for the 2019 cycle because I was ready to go back to academic sciences/engineering and try again to do something I was deeply passionate about and made a difference, fully refreshed and more certain of the direction I want to take and the types of projects I want to work on.  I am expecting to be denied by most if not all of my schools mostly due to GPA (although my last two years are nearly perfect GPA wise my first two were rough which hurt my overall) and due to the lack of experience/the long break.  But I wanted to try and see, you never know!

If I don't get in I will probably go back to work in my previous field in a new job, preferably one with a company that promotes positive change in the world even if it doesn't pay as well as my last jobs, and possibly take up my applied physics part time master from my alma mater (I had applied for it a little while ago and was accepted but it was expensive and I had gotten a new job role so I put it off, but I can pick it up anytime and start it, it is online and "for professionals" aka easier, but since my school was a top 10 and it just says applied physics masters on the diploma hey can't complain.)

On 1/24/2019 at 8:17 PM, Moods said:

I think I would try to work at a university or company as a research assistant or lab tech. If that doesn’t work, at least get a job in retail until I get a science or engineering job. Work for a year or maybe two in order of get some experience. I might travel if I get a enough money at some point. After that, I would apply again. But I would want to get some more research experience under my belt since I am already taking a gap year and I wouldn’t want to look like a slacker. 

My dream is to travel more, though, if admission this time doesn’t work! 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:44 PM, Potemkin said:

To be honest, I never really thought about it...I guess failure is too terrible to contemplate. But as good luck has it, I recently started a job that is quite nice, so in all likelihood I would continue working for a year in order to safe some money and then reapply. Or maybe I would accept my defeat and simply go to a safety school, which (surely?!) won't reject me. 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:17 AM, yukichi said:

My backup is attending my Alma Mater's business school for a master's in either big data or information assurance, staying with my lab group, and then redoing PhD applications. 

On 1/25/2019 at 9:35 AM, Resedaz said:

Continue working in my current company, at least just got promoted this year so if didn't get my master, I will apply again the next year, and also keep an eye in the job market for new opportunities. 

On 1/25/2019 at 10:50 AM, Bijutsu said:

Attend a language school in Japan for the school year and conduct independent research in Kyoto. Try again in autumn.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:39 PM, historygeek said:

applying again next year. 

On 1/26/2019 at 8:33 PM, Ellis said:

I'd reapply to even more schools the next year.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:38 PM, kendalldinniene said:

reapply. 

On 2/2/2019 at 12:05 AM, jadeisokay said:

reapply. 

If events don't go as planned this application season and you're considering reapplying, do not deprive yourself of opportunities to speak to POI and ask how might you improve your application the next time around.

The way you phrase the inquiry will be important. You should not ask questions that sound like "What could I have done better?" Qestions like "What might I do better the next time?" may serve your better. (The difference between the two types of questions are night and day.)

Of the handful answers you receive, many will be non-responsive, some will be cryptic, few, if any, will be clear.

If you get guidance that confuses or upsets you or makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, you've received information that is as good as gold.

Honestly? I graduated in 2015, did a year as a Fulbright ETA, and then worked a few years. Got married. Always wanted to go to grad school, but had to wait for my husband to finish undergrad. He's done this May, and I can finally go! At least, that's the plan, right? 

This has been the one thing I've been working towards for going on 8 years now. I was that freshman who was already looking at grad schools. Total nerd I guess. Unfortunately if I don't make it this round, I'll have to take the GRE again, as my scores expire soon. I could find a job I like but quite frankly, I've hated working in tech. 9-5 at a desk in a corporate environment just isn't for me. I'd thought I might go into nonprofit work if I don't make it. 

But realistically, I already got accepted to an MA program so that's a solid backup for me. It's a good program and may help me get into a PhD program if stuff doesn't work out this time around. 

I'm going to grad school, darnit!

On 2/6/2019 at 9:30 PM, XLW said:

If I don't get in I will probably go back to work in my previous field in a new job, preferably one with a company that promotes positive change in the world even if it doesn't pay as well as my last jobs

23 hours ago, ringoandme said:

I'd thought I might go into nonprofit work if I don't make it.

It can be so soul-sucking to feel like you aren't making positive change and contributing, but yes, academia is not the only way to do it! @XLW I hope you get in, and that's a great account of time off well-spent for people who aren't sure what they want or might have to try again. @ringoandmeCongratulations! 

I work full time as a public servant, now. We're headed towards an election-- and likely a change to a government I am not so fond of-- so if this doesn't work out, I will persist until August (my 3 year work anniversary) then maybe transition into consulting. Three years' experience appears to be the "magic number" for professional work, so regardless, it'll be a good chance for some personal growth.

I honestly am very appreciative of everyone who has a backup plan! This is inspiring for me to think some things through- just in case. 

My degree (MSW) is a terminal degree, but I want to keep going into the research sector, hence the pursuit for a PhD. I guess I could always pursue clinical work while waiting to reapply! 

Thank you for the inspiration, and best of luck for everyone in the waiting purgatory!

I am looking for paid research positions either as an RA, coordinator, or working for an organization in some research capacity. I will reach out to the profs I want to work under and ask them how I can get involved. I am applying for a fellowship right now with the state. Once I have more research years under me I will apply for a PhD again. If all else "fails" I will start the non-profit I have been putting off for three years since being in graduate school land. And if that tanks I'll keep doing clinical social work ❤️

Really what is heavy on my chest is paying my 60k+ loans. I honestly feel really motivated to use all this momentum I have gained through working endlessly in graduate school  to just work two jobs seven days a week and get it paid off in three years then move forward.....?

On 1/28/2019 at 2:28 PM, hardatwork said:

I have totally been considering the same thing. I will definitely be taking a month-long silent retreat post graduation.

6 hours ago, Ternwild said:

As in, retired?  Medical?

No, but I did get a rating which would require waivers to go back in. Fortunately, I now live near a VA that does research in the area that I want to pursue, so that would probably be a better bet for me now. 

8 minutes ago, CurseTen said:

No, but I did get a rating which would require waivers to go back in. Fortunately, I now live near a VA that does research in the area that I want to pursue, so that would probably be a better bet for me now. 

Up to you.  Just remember that the military has age limits, so if there is something you're interested in doing that is only in the military as an officer, you don't have much time to mess around doing other things, unless those other things are def something you want to do instead.

On 1/25/2019 at 12:35 PM, Resedaz said:

Continue working in my current company, at least just got promoted this year so if didn't get my master, I will apply again the next year, and also keep an eye in the job market for new opportunities. 

same, although I didn't get promoted this yr lol 
better to get into my dream program 

I've always planned on moving away this summer, so if not to a grad program, probably somewhere of my personal preference (PNW probably). I want to get into hiking, backpacking, and mountain biking again. This is my second time shooting for a PhD program in a pretty competitive field, and I've been more thoughtful in choosing the programs I'm applying to this year (completely different from last). If I'm shut out yet again, I'll probably switch up my academic focus a bit and aim for a master's program in the future. 

5 hours ago, goosejuice said:

I've always planned on moving away this summer, so if not to a grad program, probably somewhere of my personal preference (PNW probably). I want to get into hiking, backpacking, and mountain biking again. This is my second time shooting for a PhD program in a pretty competitive field, and I've been more thoughtful in choosing the programs I'm applying to this year (completely different from last). If I'm shut out yet again, I'll probably switch up my academic focus a bit and aim for a master's program in the future. 

Yay, Pacific North West For The Win! ?? It's a pretty amazing place to be. Good luck to you either way! 

On 2/13/2019 at 9:46 AM, PNWFTW said:

I will start the non-profit I have been putting off for three years since being in graduate school land. And if that tanks I'll keep doing clinical social work ❤️

That sounds like a beautiful back-up plan. As a SW can you do the 10 year student loan forgiveness thing?